News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Old Mouseketeer

Universal built an entire Jurassic World roller coaster with real theming and rockwork and themed buildings and practical effects/props in less than half the time its taken Disney to build this Guardians coaster.

I really don't get what takes Disney so long to build a ride. It's essentially a bunch of screens in a box.

It's much, MUCH worse than this. Remember, Disney sets their own building codes!!! This is one of the rights granted to the Reedy Creek Improvement District. Disney does their own building, fire, and safety inspections. How much easier can this be for Disney than Universal. Disney controls how much of a wait for building permits and inspections. They control the roads feeding the construction site and all the land surrounding it. When they built Space Mountain they cast the giant concrete wedges up by the Monorail Roundhouse and trucked them down the access road when they were too big for public highways or rail cars. Unbelievable.

Last edited by a moderator:

lazyboy97o

It's much, MUCH worse than this. Remember, Disney sets their own building codes!!! This is one of the rights granted to the Reedy Creek Improvement District. Disney does their own building, fire, and safety inspections. How much easier can this be for Disney than Universal. Disney controls how much of a wait for building permits and inspections. They control the roads feeding the construction site and all the land surrounding it. When they built Space Mountain they cast the giant concrete wedges up by the Monorail Roundhouse and trucked them down the access road when they were too big for public highways or rail cars. Unbelievable.
While the Reedy Creek Improvement District is able to establish and enforce their own building code, they are not exempt from either the Florida Building Code or the Florida Fire Prevention Code, which is the fire code adopted and enforced by the District. Strict enforcement also helps protect the District’s continued existence and authority.

Narc

You think we'll be traveling back in time in some fashion? The subtitle being Cosmic Rewind + the backwards launch + Peter Quill liking old Epcot makes me feel this way. I can also just see them including old Epcot memorabilia in The Collector's stash.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yep. No one else on earth can get a permit to transport an oversized load on public streets.

Well except for this guy.

oversize1.jpg

oh and this guy

3743486890_ac29380d5d_b.jpg

I forgot about this guy

superload-feature1.jpg

And I almost forgot about this one.

x720

Mesa Azul

You think we'll be traveling back in time in some fashion? The subtitle being Cosmic Rewind + the backwards launch + Peter Quill liking old Epcot makes me feel this way. I can also just see them including old Epcot memorabilia in The Collector's stash.
Thinking about that is actually making me a little excited for the ride. We do know that a few key pieces of Horizons were saved by Disney. The Robot Butler is on display in CA, and the ship from Mesa Verde is around too. I could 100% see the Robot Butler being somewhere in the collector’s stash.

Brad Bishop

Universal built an entire Jurassic World roller coaster with real theming and rockwork and themed buildings and practical effects/props in less than half the time its taken Disney to build this Guardians coaster.

I really don't get what takes Disney so long to build a ride. It's essentially a bunch of screens in a box.

My guess is that there is a lot more bureaucracy at Disney. I've seen it in various companies I work for. It seems to build up over time:

Young company - a bit like the wild west. Just get things done
...a little later - someone made a mistake! There ought to be a rule!
...and then rules just build upon more rules and more paperwork which builds upon more paperwork
...eventually they are a slow-moving corporation with reams of rules and policies and it takes a week and four high-level signatures to get a pencil sharpened.

...meanwhile, another young company is coming up from behind to eat their lunch. They'll face the same "let's create a rule for every situation" problem, however.

You can see that in society. Anytime something happens there's a push for, "There ought to be a law!" More often than not, there already IS a law that covers it and you don't need to create a new one to cover this specific case. All you need to do is apply the old law and enforce it. Also, there's this weird idea that if someone breaks the law that somehow "they got away with it" and, thus, there ought to be a new law which would prevent them from breaking the old law that was already in place. Neither law prevents anyone from doing what they wish and each law only acts as a deterrent.

Still... There ought to be a law.

lazyboy97o

My guess is that there is a lot more bureaucracy at Disney. I've seen it in various companies I work for. It seems to build up over time:

...and then rules just build upon more rules and more paperwork which builds upon more paperwork
...eventually they are a slow-moving corporation with reams of rules and policies and it takes a week and four high-level signatures to get a pencil sharpened.

...meanwhile, another young company is coming up from behind to eat their lunch. They'll face the same "let's create a rule for every situation" problem, however.

You can see that in society. Anytime something happens there's a push for, "There ought to be a law!" More often than not, there already IS a law that covers it and you don't need to create a new one to cover this specific case. All you need to do is apply the old law and enforce it. Also, there's this weird idea that if someone breaks the law that somehow "they got away with it" and, thus, there ought to be a new law which would prevent them from breaking the old law that was already in place. Neither law prevents anyone from doing what they wish and each law only acts as a deterrent.

And this is happening at Universal. Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Roller Coaster of Young Wizards and Magical Creatures Adventuring Through the Forbidden Forrest at the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in the Scottish Countryside: The Ride cost more than Hogsmead, including Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. Just that name alone cost $30 million.

Oddysey

I always figured that it had to do with spreading the cost over multiple quarters in an effort to keep investors happy by not having significant expense and/or profit fluctuations. I really like your take though as it makes a ton of sense. Maybe it is a little bit of both?

Oddysey

Yep. No one else on earth can get a permit to transport an oversized load on public streets.

Well except for this guy.

oversize1.jpg

oh and this guy

3743486890_ac29380d5d_b.jpg

I forgot about this guy

superload-feature1.jpg

And I almost forgot about this one.

x720

The canisters in the last photo make me feel like I am in the Toy Story Midway Mania queue.

P.S. Sorry for consecutive post. I had trouble with the multi-quote function. User error I am sure.

Marc Davis Fan

I'm really in the dark about the quality of this attraction. @marni1971 has indicated that it will be mediocre. @WDW Pro seems to be really excited about it. I can't figure out if it's going to be nothing more than some dome screens with coaster vehicles that can turn to face them, or if it's going to have impressive practical effects and perhaps during-ride practical set pieces.

Sometimes Disney isn't good at keeping plans secret (e.g., Galaxy's Edge details), and sometimes they seem incredibly good at it (e.g., this attraction).

All I can think is, if it really cost $400,000,000+, there must be something impressive in there that we haven't heard about...

Last edited:

Mesa Azul

Not going to lie: That actually looks awesome to me. I'm sure Disney will make motion sensitivity a priority. Not going to say it won't be a stomach turner, but... I'm sure they'll take motion sickness into account when building and testing it. And... Yeah, that coaster with the Disney/Guardians trappings would be great!

FigmentFan82

Not going to lie: That actually looks awesome to me. I'm sure Disney will make motion sensitivity a priority. Not going to say it won't be a stomach turner, but... I'm sure they'll take motion sickness into account when building and testing it. And... Yeah, that coaster with the Disney/Guardians trappings would be great!
I think that looks very cool too. From what I believe the rumors are is that Cosmic Rewind will be controlled turning vs free spinning, in order to guide your view along the track

UNCgolf

I believe I read it somewhere here that the spinning is controlled based on where the ride would want it to face so I guess that makes it better. This is more free spin.

Yeah, I think I've read that too. If it's controlled to just face you in the proper direction for show scenes, that's significantly different than free spinning constantly throughout the ride.

I'd at least give it a shot if it's controlled turning; I'm not sure I'd even try to ride it if it's free spinning because I'd be almost guaranteed to get motion sickness so bad I'd have to go back to the hotel and lie down.

UNCgolf

I'm sure they'd like to minimize it as much as possible, but there's only so much you can do. Flight of Passage and Expedition Everest (and I'm sure some other rides) already give some people severe motion sickness. They're definitely not going to build something that wouldn't make anyone sick because that would compromise what they're trying to do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom