News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

trainplane3

Universal built an entire Jurassic World roller coaster with real theming and rockwork and themed buildings and practical effects/props in less than half the time its taken Disney to build this Guardians coaster.

I really don't get what takes Disney so long to build a ride. It's essentially a bunch of screens in a box.
Don't stop counting the days until the ride is taking guests. I know Universal moves faster then Disney 99% of the time but VC still isn't open yet.

Disneylover152

Don't stop counting the days until the ride is taking guests. I know Universal moves faster then Disney 99% of the time but VC still isn't open yet.

Take Jurassic World out of my post and replace it with Hagrids. Hagrid and Guardians were both announced in summer 2017. One opened summer 2019 and the other will be opening in 2022.

If JW actually opens in Summer 2021, that means Universal built 2 roller coasters in less time than it is taking Disney to build 2 coasters.

trainplane3

Take Jurassic World out of my post and replace it with Hagrids. Hagrid and Guardians were both announced in summer 2017. One opened summer 2019 and the other will be opening in 2022.

If JW actually opens in Summer 2021, that means Universal built 2 roller coasters in less time than it is taking Disney to build 2 coasters.
There's the comparison I wanted to see. While Hagrid is a smaller project then GotG, it took such a short time for what it was.

TrainsOfDisney

I think this is thread bump worthy.

To add fuel to the fire, let this be a reminder that Guardians has already taken 67 days longer (and counting!) than Universe of Energy's original construction schedule to build. And that was total time from dirt to guests on ride, while the entire theme park was being built simultaneously.
With huge AA’s, trackless ride vehicles, a wave machine, rotating video cubes that still impossible tech. Wise....

DreamfinderGuy

There's the comparison I wanted to see. While Hagrid is a smaller project then GotG, it took such a short time for what it was.
Dueling Dragons also closed *after* Universe of Energy did. Both jobs required demolishing a former attraction, recycling a former show building, and creating a new one. Hagrid's has been open for over a year and the only noticeable work on Energy is a massive box and an ugly paint job.

Then again I guess there's no real way to know just how much has gone on inside the brown trapezoid or the blue box yet, so 🤷‍♂️

ppete1975

To add fuel to the fire, let this be a reminder that Guardians has already taken 67 days longer (and counting!) than Universe of Energy's original construction schedule to build. And that was total time from dirt to guests on ride, while the entire theme park was being built simultaneously.
times have changed alot since epcot was built
for reference .. it took only a year to build disneyland...

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Dueling Dragons also closed *after* Universe of Energy did. Both jobs required demolishing a former attraction, recycling a former show building, and creating a new one. Hagrid's has been open for over a year and the only noticeable work on Energy is a massive box and an ugly paint job.

Then again I guess there's no real way to know just how much has gone on inside the brown trapezoid or the blue box yet, so 🤷‍♂️
I also think its infinitely easier and quicker to demolish 2 tracks and start from scratch than to re-purpose/retrofit a new ride within an existing 40 year old building and building a massive structure to go along with it. Its still a ton of time and I'm not sure why it has taken so much time, pre-covid too.

Last edited:

BubbaisSleep

Ah, well maybe not bigger but I'd think working in a building (regardless of size, dealing with movement limitations and the such) would be more difficult then working out in the open.
Too add to your point, wasn’t the GOTG track built after the gravity building was constructed? I’m sure that didn’t help speed up construction. I’m glad they did that though since it’s a brand new ride & the layout is part of the surprise.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Almost like it’s deliberate?🤔

Universal built an entire Jurassic World roller coaster with real theming and rockwork and themed buildings and practical effects/props in less than half the time its taken Disney to build this Guardians coaster.

I really don't get what takes Disney so long to build a ride. It's essentially a bunch of screens in a box.

Imagineering is pretty creative but it still takes time to wash and/or pocket R&D + construction money.

Feel like I say this all the time...but here goes:

Their timelines are NOT to complete things quickly. It used to be that way...but Walt and everyone that knew him are dead.

It’s about measured investment...to defer it over time, to be able to say you’re always doing something...AND to PR it as “new” for maximum gain for years.

Nothing opening under these conditions. You may get rat. May

Last edited:

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Almost like it’s deliberate?🤔

Feel like I say this all the time...but here goes:

Their timelines are NOT to complete things quickly. It used to be that way...but Walt and everyone that knew him are dead.

It’s about measured investment...to defer it over time, to be able to say you’re always doing something...AND to PR it as “new” for maximum gain for years.

Nothing opening under these conditions. You may get rat. May

All true but it still doesn't explain why GotG is a money pit.

rle4lunch

With all the stupidity going on we've already modified our Dec 2020 trip to April 2021, hoping they'll be a few more things open for the kiddos (220, Rat), and are looking at Aulani 2021 for our annual December trip rather than going back to the World...

Maybe a May 2022 trip would be a good one? Minus the love bugs.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
With all the stupidity going on we've already modified our Dec 2020 trip to April 2021, hoping they'll be a few more things open for the kiddos (220, Rat), and are looking at Aulani 2021 for our annual December trip rather than going back to the World...

Maybe a May 2022 trip would be a good one? Minus the love bugs.
Hmmm...I forgot, when this started where you one planning on going this year as scheduled or NOT planning on going? 🤔

Just a poll question

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom