• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

yensidtlaw1969

There is a clear difference. My only point is that if Horizons was built today and not in 1983, people would complain about sight lines.
The sightline issue isn't that the new Future World attraction is visible from World Showcase - as displayed by the art you shared, that has always and intentionally been the case. The issue is that it's a completely unthemed building visible from inside (and also outside!) the park.

I can't think of a reason anyone would complain about Horizons being visible any more than they would complain about Spaceship Earth or the Motion building being visible. Future World and World Showcase pavilions were meant to be seen from each other. That's part of why they were all dressed so splendidly.

And to that end, if the Guardians show building were as well themed as Spaceship Earth and Horizons I personally wouldn't have said a word about its intrusion. Might have had opinions about the design of the building, but that's always been an objective art. Having a backstage building visible so visible onstage is less so.

trainplane3

There is a clear difference. My only point is that if Horizons was built today and not in 1983, people would complain about sight lines.
I doubt it. Horizons was something that obviously had thought and effort put into it. GotG is literally a box (M:S is a Dollar General with some space stuff glued to the front). If the Guardians box actually blended with the current UoE building, most would probably complain less.

If they wanted to build a new space pavilion based off the old concept art that had that weird "ball" spaceship or the "not Horizons building with a rocket sticking out of the top", personally I wouldn't care. It would be interesting architecture to look at even if I could see it from across WS.

DreamfinderGuy

I think everyone's issues with GOTG are one or more of these:

A) It's a box
B) It doesn't blend in with anything
C) It's HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE and ruins sightlines
D) Future World has had mostly unique architecture throughout all of it's life
E) It doesn't fit the theme
F) You miss Ellen
G) You miss the concept of an Energy pavilion

How'd you do? I hit off every box!

britain

Some might, but they would be complaining about the new addition to the vista that Disney wants you to see. It would be an aesthetic critique, a discussion over what the Disney artists / architects are trying to communicate, whether they succeeded or failed, etc.

But Disney doesn't want you to see the new GotG building. By painting it sky blue with a green base, they are essentially saying, "Yeah, we wish this weren't in the skyline too! But we're trying to make it disappear."

If the budget was infinite, and they could put the whole new building underground, they would. They don't want you to see it. Therefore, I think I'm allowed to be disappointed when I do.

trainplane3

A) It's a box
F) You miss Ellen

Personally, those are my issues. I'm fine with themes changing/being tweaked over time as long as there is a theme and it ties into FW.

Not much of a Marvel fan even without the Epcot drama around.

Side note: Oh hey square avatars are back!

Edit: Keeping my mind open to the dumping of GotG into Epcot. I can't judge it until I've been on it.

Last edited:

marni1971

WDW History nut
Premium Member

A) It's a box
F) You miss Ellen

Everything expect F.

justintheharris

A) It's a box
F) You miss Ellen

Hmm.. seems like A B C and D can be summarized in one complaint E stands alone and F and G can be summarized into another complaint. So in reality, there's 3 complaints. But you just had to make it into 7 to try and make it look like there's a plethora of problems. Once again, few people will actually notice the building when it's done while in the park as the sky blue will help it fade into the background. This forum notices it because were obsessed with watching it be built and finding 1,001 reasons to be angry every day. Disney made the right architectural decisions with the show building. If they themed that building, THAT would be a true eyesore.

Next EPCOT has to evolve to stay relevant. EPCOT is a park being propped up in attendance by festivals and after Galaxy's Edge opens, will be the least attended park if Disney doesn't act quickly. We're criticizing a ride for theming that isn't even open yet! Pandora originally was thought to make little sense in Animal Kingdom but Disney made it work by pushing the conservation angle. Perhaps everybody should withhold their judgement until the ride comes out.

Third, Universe of Energy was a terrible ride. I remember reading lists prior to 2017 about the worst attractions at Disney and Universe of Energy was regularly listed. Nine times out of ten, when a ride closes, it closes because it was dated and/or terrible. I know some people may have found genuine enjoyment out of Energy but the masses did not want to ride a ride that was 40 minutes long unless they wanted to take a nap.

Last edited:
Top Bottom