News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

MaxW

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't think Horizons, World of Motion or Wonders of Life were great looking buildings, but they are certainly more aesthetically pleasing than the Guardians building.

I'm mildly intrigued by the color changes on the incline and if perhaps there's more to the building than what we see right now.
I agree about the horizon's building for sure, IMO it was a ugly building, but at least it was different architecturally than a big blue box.

Rteetz

From Bioreconstruct

ToTBellHop

Everything is beautiful at sunrise... ... ... ;)

Why all the cones? Doesn’t look like anything is being built. Just sky. This is the trouble with WDI. They spend $300 million to rebuild the sky and I’m like, “Dammit, Joe! The sky was already there!” Meanwhile Universal builds Forbidden Journey for like $130 million because they let the sky be the sky.

GlacierGlacier

Backstage route for the Princess Half Marathon.
Why all the cones? Doesn’t look like anything is being built. Just sky. This is the trouble with WDI. They spend $300 million to rebuild the sky and I’m like, “Dammit, Joe! The sky was already there!” Meanwhile Universal builds Forbidden Journey for like $130 million because they let the sky be the sky.
(I think it was a poorly executed joke about the "invisibility" of the GotG Building)

Skibum1970

Poorly executed?! What kind of foolishness would you like to see?

Personally, I thought that it was funny but that may not be much of an endorsement.

I realize that none of us has x-ray vision or whatever would be needed but has any additional track been installed beyond the piece that extends upward from the launch area? I wondered if they were doing track installation or still working on the box or potentially themed settings. Personally, I would expect them to build the coaster first and work around it but have no idea really as to what is currently happening.

lazyboy97o

Personally, I thought that it was funny but that may not be much of an endorsement.

I realize that none of us has x-ray vision or whatever would be needed but has any additional track been installed beyond the piece that extends upward from the launch area? I wondered if they were doing track installation or still working on the box or potentially themed settings. Personally, I would expect them to build the coaster first and work around it but have no idea really as to what is currently happening.
Show sets almost always come last.

GlacierGlacier

We can check to see if any noticable number track pieces have been removed from the staging grounds. We just have to wait for BioReconstruct to do another pass over those.

And as for construction order, that's how it typically goes with indoor coasters. Coaster first, Building next, sets last. Tron did this, RnRc, etc. Except Guardians kinda transposed the building and coaster steps, as did Space Mountain.

ToTBellHop

I don’t know at the moment, but the plan is certainly to install track in the near future. TRON, too. I have no knowledge of why GotG gets building then track then theming while TRON gets track then building then theming.

EJ96

I'm guessing it's been brought up in this thread before, but what's the likelihood of some original EPCOT Center pavilion music being involved in the ride soundtrack in some way? Or at least the original UoE music? I mean, the whole running gag in the films is that Peter Quill listens to songs from the late 70s/early 80s. This would be a slam dunk so of course it'll probably fly over their heads.

DisneyCane

Not that anyone's mind will change, BUT when your ACTUALLY there it's hardly noticeable from inside the park... in time it will be no more noticeable than Soarin' but that won't stop the armchair CEOs and second guessers...

I think the Ratatouille building sticks out more.
^This. I was there yesterday and I didn't specifically look for the building in the park. I didn't notice it unless I was in the parking lot. Rat building I saw but I assume that will get some kind of theming to match France.

Same with the gondola tower near France. I can see them but they don't stand out like in pictures.

ObscurityPoint

I'm guessing it's been brought up in this thread before, but what's the likelihood of some original EPCOT Center pavilion music being involved in the ride soundtrack in some way? Or at least the original UoE music? I mean, the whole running gag in the films is that Peter Quill listens to songs from the late 70s/early 80s. This would be a slam dunk so of course it'll probably fly over their heads.
I’ve had hopes for this too. With the queue at Disneyland’s Mission Breakout, I’m intrigued to know if this one will feature tons of old references and props of Epcot Center. I think people are expecting this to be a lot like Breakout and are underestimating the fact that they have more creative control over this idea since the ride is more than a cheap overlay. Not to mention the whole Peter Quill “plot” that he visited Epcot as a kid and is back. I hope he complains Horizons is gone

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I’ve had hopes for this too. With the queue at Disneyland’s Mission Breakout, I’m intrigued to know if this one will feature tons of old references and props of Epcot Center. I think people are expecting this to be a lot like Breakout and are underestimating the fact that they have more creative control over this idea since the ride is more than a cheap overlay. Not to mention the whole Peter Quill “plot” that he visited Epcot as a kid and is back. I hope he complains Horizons is gone
Well, you KNOW we're gonna see Peter and his mom (and maybe even his "dad") in the obligatory home video...

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I think most of the complainers are people who rarely visit WDW and are relying on pictures to make their judgements. It is a massive structure - especially from certain angles - but it’s not particularly noticeable “on stage” in the park - where the asthetics matter the most... only if you choose to focus on it does it stick out.
As someone who visits 4-5 times per year (and we live out of state), I agree that it is only noticeable from a few areas within the park and its far from anything that will ruin the moment. That being said, when you do notice it, its just plain ugly and you cant help but think, "is that the best, or even half best that Disney could do"....and within a few seconds you move along and continue to enjoy your day.

I know Disney can (and should) do better than that. If that makes me a complainer for simply thinking it, or typing it in an online fan forum, so be it. I hope they prove me wrong. They could very well install paneling to improve the look or some form of exterior "plussing" before the attraction opens. But the "wait and see" approach hasnt exactly been friendly over the last few years.

rle4lunch

As someone who visits 4-5 times per year (and we live out of state), I agree that it is only noticeable from a few areas within the park and its far from anything that will ruin the moment. That being said, when you do notice it, its just plain ugly and you cant help but think, "is that the best, or even half best that Disney could do"....and within a few seconds you move along and continue to enjoy your day.

I know Disney can (and should) do better than that. If that makes me a complainer for simply thinking it, or typing it in an online fan forum, so be it. I hope they prove me wrong. They could very well install paneling to improve the look or some form of exterior "plussing" before the attraction opens. But the "wait and see" approach hasnt exactly been friendly over the last few years.

Maybe all the new retro entrance additions and other stuff saying 'look over here!' will distract people enough from looking at the big blue box? I dunno. We'll see it firsthand here in 2 1/2 months. Once I see it in person I'll be able to give a more justified (albeit, still an opinion) critique of it....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom