News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Lensman

Does anyone know if there are chemicals within solar panels that could leak or go bad over time? That'd be a case to remove them.
It is my understanding that they are entirely solid state and don't have any liquid chemicals that would leak. I think the wiring of the PV cells themselves in the modules is pretty basic. Electronics are limited to a bypass diode (also solid state) and I can't think of what else.

According to @marni1971, the panels are 20 years old which is about the lifespan of PV panels (20-25 years).

The array was replaced in 1998; 20 years ago but it wasn’t vintage 1982.

I'm still hoping they're just replacing them again, it being 2018. This would be the time since I think they can still get the 30% tax credit for new ones. It should have positive ROI but I'm not sure what their cost of capital is so I'm not sure how it would compare to other investments that they could make. Plus the positive goodwill with forum members. :)

trainplane3

It is my understanding that they are entirely solid state and don't have any liquid chemicals that would leak. I think the wiring of the PV cells themselves in the modules is pretty basic. Electronics are limited to a bypass diode (also solid state) and I can't think of what else.

According to @marni1971, the panels are 20 years old which is about the lifespan of PV panels (20-25 years).
Ah alright. I'm not a pro with that sort of thing so I wasn't sure if there was anything within them. It would be nice if there was a ride about energy that could teach me about new solar panel tech but oh well...

And yeah, I remember Martin mentioning that fact about them.

montyz81

I have said it before and I will say it again, this feels almost as bad as Horizons. I am hoping those panels do come back, but with the current solar fields in place, I am not expecting them to return. I really hope they give the new ride gives more then just a UOE symbol tribute to the original ride. There really needs to be music, animatronic or something that shows what was in this space before. If PQ visited the ride in the 80's UOE has to be more then just part of the story line.

jt04

I never really liked solar panels on the roof once they became ubiquitous. They should sell them to collectors. Cha ching.

smile

They are seen everywhere. I own a few. No longer have the futuristic cache they once did.

fair enough, but we hope for non-fossil fuel alternate forms of energy for future generations, do we not?
... even as functionally ineffectual, long as we remain as reliant on non-renewables, those panels were elevated beyond cliche, imo

heh, i talk as if that even mattered anymore - my apologies to star lord and friends

Lensman

They are seen everywhere. I own a few. No longer have the futuristic cache they once did.
I think they still represent the near future. Maybe it's just because there aren't that many in the neighborhood where we live?

It was also nice that the building itself was angled properly and the roof aligned for good solar irradiance. Plus it was the Universe of Energy. :)

No longer, though... :( We will see what happens.

I mentioned in a previous post that I'd love to see a molten salt concentrated solar plant just outside the park that we could tour, but I don't think it's economically viable in Florida, at the moment.

jt04

I think they still represent the near future. Maybe it's just because there aren't that many in the neighborhood where we live?

It was also nice that the building itself was angled properly and the roof aligned for good solar irradiance. Plus it was the Universe of Energy. :)

No longer, though... :( We will see what happens.

I mentioned in a previous post that I'd love to see a molten salt concentrated solar plant just outside the park that we could tour, but I don't think it's economically viable in Florida, at the moment.

Molten salt fusion reactors look promising. Some new tech can possibly utilize spent fuel rods. Win win.

Missing20K

Need some solar arrays that are more futuristic?

Check out SmartWrap. There are other options for thin-film, transparent PV besides this as well.

Amorphous PV Glass

Ubiquitous Energy

Seems odd that we (forum users/general public) are able to find innovative technologies and highlight ways in which it could be used, yet Disney is somehow unable (or more accurately unwilling).

Molten salt fusion reactors look promising. Some new tech can possibly utilize spent fuel rods. Win win.
If they can't be bothered to use the latest tech in PV, I can't see them ever doing anything remotely as experimental as a molten salt reactor. We can dream though.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

From bioreconstruct:

giphy.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom