News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Mike S

Like nobody knows brand new attractions tend to have long lines.
Same with low capacity attractions. Just look at Peter Pan.
I could totally see this attraction keeping Energy as its theme. It is 'Universe of Energy' and not 'how to make petroleum companies look better of energy'. So I could see the pre-show/ line organically talking about how other civilizations across the Marvel Universe use renewable energy sources.

This could turn into a less preachy more edutaining way of accomplishing the mission of UoE.

Or they could just be breaking out of the collector's newest collection.
It won't be UoE most likely. The only thing UoE would be a potential song cameo since that could actually fit with Peter Quill's character to have that as a memento when he visited as a kid.

Maeryk

Do we have an approximate ride time for this thing? It's obviously going to be a fraction of UoE, but how small of one?

This is completely pulled out of my fourth point of contact, but from looking at the Vekoma prototype that a lot of people seem to think has been in development for this, it's not a fast ride. It's a coaster type, and sort of a flying coaster type, but doesn't seem to go fast.. it allows you to "fly". Looks like the seats are _likely_ to be 4 wide, and that makes up an entire car "unit". To board you basically sit on the seats, and strap in. the track is behind you, with the car mounted behind you, and the car rotates around a gimbal that's vertically centered between seats 2 and 3. (It's hard to explain in text). So the track can "roll" so you are under it, lying face down, and the car can rotate 1/4 turn to put your head "Forward". The prototype seems to move very slowly and with much control, with motor stations it's full length.

So, the duration of the ride is going to depend entirely on how fast it goes.

Maeryk

Still trying to figure out how building a ride based on a 3 year old, PG-13 rated Marvel series about a foul mouthed raccoon will help make the park "more timeless, more family friendly, more Disney".

Umm.. the most recent movie is not even on blu-ray yet, and they are in Infinity War. Marvel and star wars are currently vying for Disney's biggest and hottest IP. You build what brings people into the park. The mistake is thinking Disney is for children alone. Children don't have money. Their parents do.

That said, I'm sure rocket isn't going to jumping around dropping R rated words. Groot, however, might. Never can tell with that guy.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Do we have an approximate ride time for this thing? It's obviously going to be a fraction of UoE, but how small of one?
If you count the time spent in the standby line it will probably be much longer than the 45mins of UoE;)

Seriously, I have no clue but even if the ride slows down a bit for show scenes could it be much more than 5 or 6 minutes?

Animaniac93-98

But it’s not. The Magic Kingdom has only recently also been pushed in a similar direction.

THIS. So much.

MK was founded on experiences like 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Hall of Presidents, King Stefan's Banquet Hall, Haunted Mansion, House of Magic, The Walt Disney Story, Swiss Family Treehouse, It's a Small World, Carousel of Progress, Space Mountain and others representing a diverse array of adventures rooted in classic films, literature and solid "family entertainment" (when that meant for everyone 6 to 60).

Only this century has it devolved into the dumb stroller park.

lazyboy97o

We are still all assuming "coaster" and "thrill ride". It might just be the most awesome dark ride Disney has ever built.. after seeing the Vekoma prototype actually running (real life, not sim), it's not a terribly fast ride.
This is completely pulled out of my fourth point of contact, but from looking at the Vekoma prototype that a lot of people seem to think has been in development for this, it's not a fast ride. It's a coaster type, and sort of a flying coaster type, but doesn't seem to go fast.. it allows you to "fly". Looks like the seats are _likely_ to be 4 wide, and that makes up an entire car "unit". To board you basically sit on the seats, and strap in. the track is behind you, with the car mounted behind you, and the car rotates around a gimbal that's vertically centered between seats 2 and 3. (It's hard to explain in text). So the track can "roll" so you are under it, lying face down, and the car can rotate 1/4 turn to put your head "Forward". The prototype seems to move very slowly and with much control, with motor stations it's full length.

So, the duration of the ride is going to depend entirely on how fast it goes.
The prototype is for testing the loading mechanism. After switching to the flying position an actual coaster would become an actual coaster. There is no point in building hills and loops when you already know how to do that.

MuteSuperstar

However dated the rest of UoE got, I never tired of the dinosaur scenes and they never failed to impress me. The scale, the ambition, the placemaking....great and yes, timeless in the same way Ray Harryhausen's work is still infinitely more interesting than grey CGI armies running into each other for the 1000th time. I hope they survive/resurface in some way. It could have been plussed in amazing ways that would surely still captivate any kid with a pulse.

Maeryk

This thread is "Pandora" all over again circa 2013.
What we will hear for the next four year:
- Guardians doesn't belong in Epcot
- It doesn't warrant its own attraction.
-It's an overated franchise.
- Not another roller coaster
- They should have been able to do so much more with 1/2 a billion.
- Why is Disney dragging the build out for 4 years?
Etc, etc, etc.

This will be a long 4 years of Waiting. .

People are still about Mission Space.. so I think 4 years is kinda optimistic on your part.

thepirateking

Well I went in the early 90's as a kid, Epcot was amazing and my favorite. However it is 2017 and Epcot does not need to be stuck int he 90's! I am excited about this as EPCOT needs new life, if that takes it turning into IPCOT than so be it. There is a whole new generation of kids and up and coming spenders like my 10 year old who squealed with excitement when this was announced and has not stopped begging to go to Cali to ride the new Tower.

No offense to you or your child, but this illustrates the issue that pains so many Epcot fans.

Yes, a money-making Epcot is a successful Epcot. Your 10-year-old may be a future spender, but simply having fun on GotG will not affect their life the way Epcot affected many on these boards. Your child may love the ride, make great memories, and someday take their family back to Epcot to continue the cycle. But, will it change how they see humanity and their own potential? That's what is being lost.

The old Epcot inspired people. Not everyone, but some. Hearing "If we can dream it, we can do it" and then seeing how people dreamed in the past, how those dreams were realized in the present, and how *we* could make our dreams come true in the future was inspirational. Sometimes people need to hear those kinds of things. Epcot did this for the sciences (and MGM for animation).

For all of the Epcot lovers out there yearning for a return to the past, this is a losing battle. It's a numbers game, and the LCD is going to win, plain and simple. The general WDW tourist population is just bigger than the population that enjoys being informed and inspired AND having fun. It's the same reason more people go to the movies than the library. It's not bad or wrong. It's just unfortunate. Especially if you were lucky enough to have your life changed by something that no longer exists.

TyTrap

It's sad because Ellen's universe of energy was one of my favorite rides. Why couldn't they just revamp the original idea bring back Ellen and Bill Nye and expand on the topic of energy. My fears are coming true with Epcot, the old guard of attractions that were original and authentic are being replaced with IP driven ones.

thepirateking

Say what you will about Frozen Ever Maelstrom.. but there was never a line for maelstrom.. there was barely a queue. Now it's SRO all day long. SO clearly they hit it with a significant segment of the population. And I don't miss Abba working oil rigs, to be completely honest.

Seas was just about dead till they did the Nemo thing.. and it's worth a ride once per visit.

The attendance at the property has exponentially increased since Epcot opened. They need attractions that hold more people, and keep more people busy. We want these changes to the parks that cost mucho dinero, but we don't seem to want the increased traffic to support them. You can't have it both ways. As long as the queue is interesting, I might actually stand in it for a while.

We're getting rides that hold fewer people and queues that hold more people (4 hours worth). The old attractions held LOTS of people... on the ride. Compare a UoE moving theater to a coaster train. The critical folks on here remember riding rides all day. Not waiting for them. Yes, headliners had longer waits, but the rides were longer too.

aprincessatlasst

For all of the Epcot lovers out there yearning for a return to the past, this is a losing battle. It's a numbers game, and the LCD is going to win, plain and simple. The general WDW tourist population is just bigger than the population that enjoys being informed and inspired AND having fun. It's the same reason more people go to the movies than the library. It's not bad or wrong. It's just unfortunate. Especially if you were lucky enough to have your life changed by something that no longer exists.

Like I said it is 2017. The world is a lot smaller than it was in the 90's. I don't need to go to a theme park to be informed, inspired and have fun. Don't get me wrong I loved the AT&T sponsered giant phone in Epcot and the Wonders of life Pavilion in the 90's (and miss it) but it did not really inspire me to be fit or use a phone. It did create fabulous memories with my family laughing as we called family back home or seeing my dad bicycling with goofy! Hopefully GOT will help creat memories with my kids they will soon look back on and smile.

FWIW We just got back from being inspired, informed and having fun on our two week European holiday. No we are not uber wealthy just run of the mill average folks who want to inspire our children with more than just a theme park. Now don't get me wrong we did spend a couple days at DL Paris because we love our Disney however we don't rely on the them to inform us and inspire us but to just have fun!

EPICOT

Like I said it is 2017. The world is a lot smaller than it was in the 90's. I don't need to go to a theme park to be informed, inspired and have fun. Don't get me wrong I loved the AT&T sponsered giant phone in Epcot and the Wonders of life Pavilion in the 90's (and miss it) but it did not really inspire me to be fit or use a phone. It did create fabulous memories with my family laughing as we called family back home or seeing my dad bicycling with goofy! Hopefully GOT will help creat memories with my kids they will soon look back on and smile.

FWIW We just got back from being inspired, informed and having fun on our two week European holiday. No we are not uber wealthy just run of the mill average folks who want to inspire our children with more than just a theme park. Now don't get me wrong we did spend a couple days at DL Paris because we love our Disney however we don't rely on the them to inform us and inspire us but to just have fun!

People in 2017 just *think* they are smarter since we have so much information available at our fingertips. Unfortunately this does not actually translate into people learning or being inspired. Googling everything has lead to a severe lack in critical thinking for many people. That's why I think a modern EPCOT Center is needed know more than ever.

thepirateking

I'm all for making great memories and having fun as a family. Sounds like you had a great trip! :)

BlindChow

The thing I'll miss most about Ellen's Energy Adventure is the music... I always made it a point to visit this attraction on every visit solely because I loved the score so much.

(Also that moment during the preshow when Bill Nye is looking for a place to sit and there's a cat sleeping in the only available chair... :cat:)

Composer Bruce Broughton hit this one out of the park.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Please forgive me if this has already been discussed; I'm still working to get caught up:
Was it just me, or did they sound extremely defensive when discussing changing/adding IPs to attractions?
"Mission Breakout has more Fastpasses issued than any other attraction in DCA!"
"Frozen Ever After is the most popular attraction in Epcot!"
It was as though they're actively trying to convince us that they know what they're doing. o_O

They're directing that at a subset of superfans who stay in a bubble of anger/disappointment in internet communities telling each other how awful those things are and then convince themselves that **everybody** feels the same way.

It was their way of saying, "the general public disagrees with you and seems to be happy with what we're doing and it's paying our bills, so, sorry you don't like it, but we going forward with what we're doing and all your grousing and petitions and shouting into the ethernet has little effect."

It's not so much as being defensive as a salvo back at the those who overreacted and telling them that the same negative energy into fighting against losing UoE or TGMR will have the same little consequence, so, maybe after you said your piece you could just let it go and not waste your time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom