News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Since Peter Quill has been to EPCOT Center as a kid and he loves music if this song isn't on his Walkman it'll be a crime.

If they can fight to the Jackson 5 on Mission Breakout this shouldn't be a problem either.

I hit play just for a sec to confirm you had linked to the song that makes we want to go to the bathroom.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I get people being insulted by this concept -- like releasing Horizons T-Shirts to remind you of the fact that ride was torn down. But, if done correctly, they could incorporate this music and even the old Energy pre-show (I love the revolving windows) into the new pre-show/queue before boarding with a good retro vibe.

To sound like a super expert, call the revolving windows Radok blocks. I'd love using those now. High def, modern projection mapping, it could be stupendous.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
It would never happen, but you know what would be cool? A coaster attraction in EPCOT that explains how a launch coaster works and the science behind it. From the electricity needed for the launch to the computer systems needed to operate the ride. Then at the end you hop on and ride.

I guess that might draw some yawns from some guests, though.
You could even show the potential and kinetic energy of the cars at different points on the track.

The_Jobu

It would never happen, but you know what would be cool? A coaster attraction in EPCOT that explains how a launch coaster works and the science behind it. From the electricity needed for the launch to the computer systems needed to operate the ride. Then at the end you hop on and ride.

That would be HYPE.

I'd vote for it.

Frank the Tank

I wouldn't call it Lazy. I would call it risk management. When you are smaller and newer you take more risk, you have less to lose and more to gain. Once you get to the size Disney is you don't push the envelope as much, you have more to lose and less to gain. Using proven IP's like Star Wars and Gardians minimizes risk. I wish they would risk more but gone are those days.

There's that, although it's also a reflection of the amount of extremely valuable IP that has been amassed by Disney since the 1980s (whether organically generated internally or acquired externally. Whether certain rides fit into the overall theme of a park/area is a valid debate. However, it's just completely unreasonable to think that Disney, at this point in time, isn't going to leverage its IP for new attractions of any consequence. The fact that there were IP-free rides developed in 1970s/80s is irrelevant in today's world (for better or worse) because the IP that Disney has today is so much more valuable than what it had when EPCOT was being originally built. If Disney had owned Star Wars and Marvel back in the 1980s, I have a hard time believing that wouldn't have been using that IP extensively at that time. IP-free rides were created in an era when Disney didn't have the IP that it was today, so we have to recognize that it's a completely different standard now.

Mattsteveal

Was hoping to read some speculation on what the ride may entail than pages and pages of the same arguments over and over.

Maybe a gotg ride specifics thread need to be started...

For me I always thought epcot fw was perfect place for marvel characters especially if it was themed as stark expo, but I guess the universal contract puts a stop on that. I'm excited to see what they do with the ride system and story. Can understand the disappointment some people have of the park losing its original identity, but unfortunately investment has been lacking for the pavilions for years. From a marketing standpoint using current popular IP's make the most business sense

Kamikaze

Agreed! TRON would be a better fit and based on original, Disney IP.

Much crappier Disney IP, honestly. Neither Tron movie did well at the box office. Its a much riskier move to base a ride on it than even Avatar. Whereas both Guardians movies were huge hits and well received. RT ratings - Tron 2 - 51%. GotG1 - 91%, GotG2 - 81%. If you're factoring risk in, its much less risky to put the ride in MK since it can absorb such a thing failing (see: SGE) than Epcot can, especially as they rebuild it.

Whether or you like it or not, Disney owns Marvel. These are both Disney IPs.

Mike S

Was hoping to read some speculation on what the ride may entail than pages and pages of the same arguments over and over.

Maybe a gotg ride specifics thread need to be started...

For me I always thought epcot fw was perfect place for marvel characters especially if it was themed as stark expo, but I guess the universal contract puts a stop on that. I'm excited to see what they do with the ride system and story. Can understand the disappointment some people have of the park losing its original identity, but unfortunately investment has been lacking for the pavilions for years. From a marketing standpoint using current popular IP's make the most business sense
Stark Expo would've been a cool replacement for WoL since GotG is coming but I'm glad the contract exists. It makes it so Disney puts real effort into what they can use from Marvel and not go cheap in WDW like Mission Breakout. Plus we keep Spider-Man at Universal and that always rumored Avengers ride from them :)

TeriofTerror

Like with every D23 we get the obligatory newbie with strange join dates and sporadic low post counts that attacks anyone who's not down with praising the additions.

These are big time additions. Very happy to see the investment. Not too happy with the theming, which seems more like, "let's see how we can cram in some IPs and make it vaguely cohesive" instead of, "how do we make this park special again."

EPCOT is my favorite park. We already have a dumb park for people who don't want to think too much, but who need constant visual stimulation and noise. We have a park for IP's and kids. It's called Magic Kingdom.

I'm giving it a chance, but the theme sucks for FW.
Please forgive me if this has already been discussed; I'm still working to get caught up:
Was it just me, or did they sound extremely defensive when discussing changing/adding IPs to attractions?
"Mission Breakout has more Fastpasses issued than any other attraction in DCA!"
"Frozen Ever After is the most popular attraction in Epcot!"
It was as though they're actively trying to convince us that they know what they're doing. o_O

PizzaPlanet

This idea sort of gives me Sum of All Thrills vibe, which was probably the best Innoventions attraction in its later years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom