News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

orky8

That tower is not a tower crane. It’s rectangular in shape and structured much different than a tower crane would be.
It’s also missing the ladder to climb the crane.
9AC5D983-BD38-410F-91A3-B3E2E1D22570.jpeg

mousekedoc

Premium Member
Maybe if they side the new building with LEDs and have a continuously changing image? Might draw too much attention? Might be nice. Maybe they’ll just hide it with a bamboo forest.

trainplane3

Yeah...just left Epcot and it's very noticeable from many vantage points.

I'm not thrilled with this project's placement. If only they weren't so shortsighted, maybe this would've been saved as a future DHS expansion.
Yep, a full custom build instead of butchering a building that wasn't designed for it would've been nice. Or as I said, the Imagineers of the late 70s, early 80s are probably in love with the idea of designing the worlds largest queue building (okay SWGE will probably have bigger ones, but you get the point).

I was with a group of friends (and their parents) last night. Someone mentioned Universal and getting a final ride on Kong, so I mentioned missing the final UoE ride by 20 minutes. It went something like this:
- Wait, that closed? When?
Me - Mid August of last year.
- That's the Bill Nye and Ellen ride, right?
Me - Ya
- Aw it was such a neat ride since it was like a moving theater. What's replacing it?
Me - A Guardians of the Galaxy coaster.
- Why are they putting the Guardians in Epcot? That just doesn't fit. They should've just updated the old ride.
Me- *shrugs shoulders*

This group of friends aren't anywhere as big of a Disney fan as I am and they even said the same things I was thinking about this entire project. I was very surprised.

Last edited:

Lensman

Definitely just throwing this out there, definitely not in the know, and could be wrong, but making a somewhat educated guess that it is a weird location for a tower crane and would be also weird to have a tower crane after bringing in and setting up the other two cranes. As for what that black truss is for I am thinking it may be temporary roof support for when the roof is constructed. Depending on the span of the roof and its design (I am assuming designed without central supports based on the beef of the structure already going up) may need to support the center until all the steel is in and tightened up.
I agree with everyone else that it's not a tower crane going up.

But it's actually pretty common to bring in mobile derricks to help put up a big tower crane that's going to be on-site for a long time. And to have mobile derricks to help with deconstruction of the tower crane once the building is complete.

I especially like how they had a third small crane help to construct the giant derrick crane that they brought in to deconstruct the big tower crane!

Note: The two derrick cranes they have onsite seem to be the mobile type.

Yeah...just left Epcot and it's very noticeable from many vantage points.

I'm not thrilled with this project's placement. If only they weren't so shortsighted, maybe this would've been saved as a future DHS expansion.
Are you talking about that one big tower?
HYazSvz.jpg

How tall is the gravity building supposed to be? I think that tower is between 100-120 feet tall, extrapolating from the height of the construction worker on the platform near the top.

My model has it at 33 m / 108 ft.

That tower is hopefully a crane tower and not the corner of the building, or else, my modeling is way, way off.
Could you check your modeling again? I'm getting a little worried.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Could you check your modeling again? I'm getting a little worried.

It's not a question of correct modeling if the estimated height is correct. At 100 feet and being behind two pavilions, you won't see it much. If, however, it's 150 feet... well that changes the model.

Does anyone have inside information on how tall the building is supposed to be?

Lensman

It's not a question of correct modeling if the estimated height is correct. At 100 feet and being behind two pavilions, you won't see it much. If, however, it's 150 feet... well that changes the model.

Does anyone have inside information on how tall the building is supposed to be?
Of course, we all could just act like normal people and wait to see how it looks after it's complete instead of obsessing about it based on incomplete information. :)

And yes, I know I'm guilty of worrying! Ha!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom