News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Clamman73

Some shots from Saturday...didn't get the shot, but a guy was putting up some black tarp material in the doorway area at the time...you can just see the black material in one of the shots.
Screen Shot 2018-03-06 at 4.54.51 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-03-06 at 4.55.05 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-03-06 at 4.55.23 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-03-06 at 4.55.52 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-03-06 at 4.56.20 PM.png

mikejs78

Premium Member
Although it doesn’t belong in Epcot!!! I’ve always have been a bit jealous that we don’t have a crush like coaster. That ride looks fun and well themed. Hopefully this will at the very least be at that level. Fingers crossed.
At this point I'm just hoping it's a decent attraction. I know I will never be happy with the placement in regards to Epcot's theme, but there's nothing I can do about it.. So at this point, I am just hoping it's an enjoyable attraction in it's own right.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Theme and story push the simplistic Crush Coaster to E-ticket levels. Strip the coaster of those things and it'd be a pretty flimsy attraction. I assume the same holds true for the GotG coaster even with it's somewhat unique vehicles. Still sounds like a entry-level, rather basic family coaster. I just can't fathom why it costs so much. Are the bells and whistles they're adding made of gold? Is it the combination of themeing and tech along with the load and launch system that's contributing to it's ballooned budget?

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
Theme and story push the simplistic Crush Coaster to E-ticket levels. Strip the coaster of those things and it'd be a pretty flimsy attraction. I assume the same holds true for the GotG coaster even with it's somewhat unique vehicles. Still sounds like a entry-level, rather basic family coaster. I just can't fathom why it costs so much. Are the bells and whistles they're adding to this attraction made of gold? Is it the combination of themeing and tech along with the load and launch system that's contributing to it's ballooned budget?
To be fair, Space Mountain is a pretty basic coaster. It's what they did with it that made it an E-Ticket.

Kman101

The overwhelming majority of people are not going to ride the Tron ride and then think "oh that's supposed to be the replacement for Space Mountain, I no longer like Space Mountain". That train of thought is so far removed from a park guests psyche that it's comical. People are going to say "hey, that ride looks fun, let's ride it." The end. Only someone deep into the Disney worldwide park planning meta discussion would even have that thought for a second.

Exactly. Most guests won't think it's a replacement for Space Mountain. Just because it was the Space Mountain replacement in Shanghai doesn't mean they can't co-exist together, IMHO. Interesting reason to dislike it coming. Now of course I'll change my tune if they tear down Space Mountain somewhere down the line. So I guess people are simply fearing it will be a replacement. We'll see.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Just watched them. That is impressive. I could see Imagination going in this direction.

Ratatouille is a known use of the LPS. MMRR will be a bit more like Mystic Manor with mapped-projections, but they'll leverage parallax to give it the 2.5D effect. Battle Escape will add in lots of AAs and bigger screens and larger sets.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The overwhelming majority of people are not going to ride the Tron ride and then think "oh that's supposed to be the replacement for Space Mountain, I no longer like Space Mountain". That train of thought is so far removed from a park guests psyche that it's comical. People are going to say "hey, that ride looks fun, let's ride it." The end. Only someone deep into the Disney worldwide park planning meta discussion would even have that thought for a second.
The point being the money could have been spent better elsewhere considering the two attractions are so similar. Especially for something so expensive and so short.

yensidtlaw1969

I can easily see a casual guest getting off TRON and saying “You know, Space Mountain seems kinda lame compared to this new ride”. Maybe they don’t go so far as to consciously think it’s weird that they built it next door, but even a little distance would likely help diminish comparisons.

Certainly people already consider their preference of Space over Big Thunder and vice versa given their status as Magic Kingdom’s big coasters, and Space and TRON share much more DNA. It’s not unreasonable to suspect that guests might sense that, and that it might reflect poorly on the classic ride.

phillip9698

I can easily see a casual guest getting off TRON and saying “You know, Space Mountain seems kinda lame compared to this new ride”. Maybe they don’t go so far as to consciously think it’s weird that they built it next door, but even a little distance would likely help diminish comparisons.

Certainly people already consider their preference of Space over Big Thunder and vice versa given their status as Magic Kingdom’s big coasters, and Space and TRON share much more DNA. It’s not unreasonable to suspect that guests might sense that, and that it might reflect poorly on the classic ride.

I just think Disney is the one place where that wouldn't happen. Six Flags, yes but not Disney because if we are honest the Magic Kingdom is full of "lame" rides that people have no problem riding based on pure nostalgia or because it's a classic. Even if it's old, the level of thrills provided by Space Mountain is still perfectly suited for the Magic Kingdom.

And why is it that when a new dark ride is built nobody complains about newer tech making older rides look inadequate but for some reason that's an issue with coasters? Guess im trying to figure out why dark rides are immune to these complaints.

Last edited:

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Wow! That will be great to queue for 2 hrs for a 60-second payoff. :facepalm:

Line for Rock 'N' Roller Coaster frequents 90 mins (and has been much higher in the past) and that ride clocks in at about 65 seconds from launch to brake... line for Summit Plummet frequently reaches 45 minutes and that attraction clocks in at about 10 seconds from start to finish... heck, Space Mountain is only about 80 seconds from the time you clear the lift until the time you hit the brakes.

Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point is about a 21 second ride from launch to brakes and waits for that in the two hour range aren't unheard of..

It's unfair to compare ride times of launched coasters to ride times of chain lift coasters when the vast majority of the ride length of a chain lift coaster is on the lift. Granted, Disney does has a nice way of themeing the lifts to make the lifts feel like part of the ride experience, but if you're going to count that as part of the ride experience time, usually launched coasters also have some sort of "build up" before the launch and you should add that into the ride time as well. Frequently the overall thrill of a faster launched coaster more than makes up for the shorter ride time.

Last edited:

PorterRedkey

Line for Rock 'N' Roller Coaster frequents 90 mins (and has been much higher in the past) and that ride clocks in at about 65 seconds from launch to brake... line for Summit Plummet frequently reaches 45 minutes and that attraction clocks in at about 10 seconds from start to finish... heck, Space Mountain is only about 80 seconds from the time you clear the lift until the time you hit the brakes.

Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point is about a 21 second ride from launch to brakes and waits for that in the two hour range aren't unheard of..

It's unfair to compare ride times of launched coasters to ride times of chain lift coasters when the vast majority of the ride length of a chain lift coaster is on the lift. Granted, Disney does has a nice way of themeing the lifts to make the lifts feel like part of the ride experience, but if you're going to count that as part of the ride experience time, usually launched coasters also have some sort of "build up" before the launch and you should add that into the ride time as well. Frequently the overall thrill of a faster launched coaster more than makes up for the shorter ride time.
Personally, I think RnRC is just okay (especially after the intense launch), I have no desire to ride Top Thrill Dragster (it is a big hill), and water slides are a different story altogether.

I can go to all the great Cedar Fair Parks near me and Holiday World for my share of coasters. When I go to Disney I am looking for immersion. And while the queue will set up the ride nicely, it is hard to feel immersed when the ride is over in 60 secs.

I think this is just a matter of personal preference. I love long-form dark rides. Some people think they are boring. To each their own.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom