News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

HauntedMansionFLA

discos

For the record, Gringotts doesn’t have a super long track (2000’), but it clocks in at around 4.5 minutes which is impressive for an indoor coaster. I wonder how Guardians will measure up.

Either way, I’d still rather have a 35 minute traveling theater. :)
If Guardians is gonna be a launch coaster like its been rumoured to be but then incorporate elements like what Gringotts offers, I could totally be on board for that!

TinkerBelle8878

This Guardians coaster into Epcot bothers me for 2 reasons: 1) It doesn't fit any theme even remotely. At least Nemo fits into Seas and 3 Caballeros fits into Mexico if needed to be shoehorned in. I never saw the need but at least on some level its not a complete stretch. This coaster or any ride themed to Guardians should be put it in DHS. Or just retheme RnR since I'm sure Aerosmith will be deemed passe soon by Disney. 2) I never liked roller coasters as a kid or now and Epcot was always my favorite park because it was all these cool non coaster rides. Given this was the 'good Epcot' before the current mess but still. Not everyone needs or wants coasters. There's Mission Space to make people sick. And whatever ride based on Ratatoille going to France. Seems enough to me.

It seems like there's no more ingenuity anymore. Just let's shove in our current hot IP that wasn't actually even ours until a few years ago. I don't even need a crystal ball to figure that the next IP will be Black Panther, if allowed by the whole Marvel Orlando deal, into AK. Because they can't actually do a Marvel Park.

I'm sure I'm not the first or last to say this about Epcot. But why even have those old themes anymore? Epcot ceases to be what it was. DHS too. Just combine the two into two halves of a bigger park and call it the Wonderful Worlds of What We Bought.

Tavernacle12

Loved this quote in the article.

The “Guardians of the Galaxy”-inspired coaster is part of our ongoing work to transform Epcot into a place that’s more family, more relevant, more timeless and more Disney. “

That quote terrified me. Also, Guardians is not really any of those things. It's technically Disney, it's not family oriented, it won't be relevant with any more longevity than Ellen was, and it'll be just as dated since the team will likely be altered as the actors go to work in other films and Disney refuses to pay them the money they'd need to to keep them in GOTG.

I also wonder if, like, maybe Disney could get more rides built if they stopped trying to revolutionize or one up everything. Though I guess when they don't try we wind up with Navi River Journey for a seemingly equally costly price. Would it kill them to do an old school dark ride again? I'm talking Pinocchio's Daring Journey technology.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
A coaster being one of the longest doesn't really mean much. That's an extremely subjective PR statement that sounds good, but doesn't really mean much. The new Epcot coaster could be top-5 or top-10 and still be "one of the longest" indoor coasters.

Today's Disney would aim for Top 20 and call it "one of the longest". :(

RSoxNo1

The “Guardians of the Galaxy”-inspired coaster is part of our ongoing work to transform Epcot into a place that’s more family, more relevant, more timeless and more Disney. “
That was used at the D23 Expo in California when the attraction / Future World overhaul was announced. It's also not far off from previous quotes Iger has used to describe among other things, Shanghai.

The one that really rubs me the wrong way is this one (Also said at 2017 D23 Expo):

"As we build upon its core mission of optimism and hope to inspire the world, the real will become fantastic and the fantastic will become real—in whole new ways at Epcot."

This goes against something that Tony Baxter said on the Season Pass podcast where he was describing how an IP like Indiana Jones could be placed in any park as long as the story treatment was done correctly. As part of that explanation he said that at the Magic Kingdom, fantasy becomes real and EPCOT real becomes fantasy. That quote above makes no attempt to blur those lines. If there was ever any doubt, Disney confirmed it at the 2017 D23 Expo, EPCOT is dead.

RSoxNo1

This Guardians coaster into Epcot bothers me for 2 reasons: 1) It doesn't fit any theme even remotely. At least Nemo fits into Seas and 3 Caballeros fits into Mexico if needed to be shoehorned in. I never saw the need but at least on some level its not a complete stretch. This coaster or any ride themed to Guardians should be put it in DHS. Or just retheme RnR since I'm sure Aerosmith will be deemed passe soon by Disney. 2) I never liked roller coasters as a kid or now and Epcot was always my favorite park because it was all these cool non coaster rides. Given this was the 'good Epcot' before the current mess but still. Not everyone needs or wants coasters. There's Mission Space to make people sick. And whatever ride based on Ratatoille going to France. Seems enough to me.

It seems like there's no more ingenuity anymore. Just let's shove in our current hot IP that wasn't actually even ours until a few years ago. I don't even need a crystal ball to figure that the next IP will be Black Panther, if allowed by the whole Marvel Orlando deal, into AK. Because they can't actually do a Marvel Park.

I'm sure I'm not the first or last to say this about Epcot. But why even have those old themes anymore? Epcot ceases to be what it was. DHS too. Just combine the two into two halves of a bigger park and call it the Wonderful Worlds of What We Bought.
The educational component of Nemo in and around the exhibits makes some sense, as does Turtle Talk to a lesser extent. The attraction however offers no tie back to the actual ocean. It's similar to Frozen in Norway where the only thing tying it to the Pavilion is the setting.

Disney has explicitly stated that there is an Epcot tie for Peter Quill and it's one that myself and others suggested before the attraction was official announced. The issue I will have is that it needs to be more than just lip service.

Having said that, I agree with the general sentiment of your post. Prioritizing getting the latest and greatest IP into the park has in many cases tossed thematic integrity out the window.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes

th.jpg

There are no words.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
This Guardians coaster into Epcot bothers me for 2 reasons: 1) It doesn't fit any theme even remotely.
It fits the theme of "a place that’s more family, more relevant, more timeless and more Disney."
I'm imagining Test Track might be kept the most intense ride at Epcot, then?
There's nothing "intense" about Test Track that isn't replicated in everyday driving (except that there's no steering wheel).

montyz81

Ha Ha at making Epcot more "relevant" and more "Disney".
I know this sounds crazy since Disney created Epcot, but it really feels like they are saying "less Epcot Center", which is funny since what we have now is so far from Epcot Center. At the end of the day, you can put anything you want in Epcot with an IP attached to it and claim it is "More family oriented, more relevant, more Disney".

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom