News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Kman101

So this will be nothing but a coaster in the dark with some painted flats and possibly a well done pre-show? Zzzz. Come on. They can and should do better than this if they insist on shoehorning Guardians into Epcot. I shouldn't be surprised but this is disappointing. They could have at least made an amazing ride. I mean I guess it still could be but the tiniest bit of excitement (ignoring it's placement) I had just went out the window. But I'd still like to eventually hear more details of it.

trainplane3

So this will be nothing but a coaster in the dark with some painted flats and possibly a well done pre-show? Zzzz. Come on. They can and should do better than this if they insist on shoehorning Guardians into Epcot. I shouldn't be surprised but this is disappointing. They could have at least made an amazing ride. I mean I guess it still could be but the tiniest bit of excitement (ignoring it's placement) I had just went out the window. But I'd still like to eventually hear more details of it.
I'd expect something along the lines of what Tron has. Those animated pieces look good for all of the 2 seconds you see them. I'll be straight up disappointed if it's on the same level as RnRC. As a coaster lover, I'm hoping to be blown away by a unique ride system. As a Disney fan, I want to see set pieces or a story that's interesting. I really don't know what to expect until the foundation is done and track starts appearing.

Man, it sucks expecting a lot from Disney only for them to drop the ball. I'm not trying to be Mr. Depression but I'm expecting a lot for a major new attraction.

Cesar R M

Don't you say that...don't you ever say that...
grege3.jpg

I'm amused by the constant, unrelenting ignorance of what "EPCOT Purists" actually desire. Scratch that, I am super freaking annoyed by it. Some people seem to just absolutely, blatantly refuse to understand that EPCOT fans generally don't want to see the park static and unchanging. I can't say I've ever many people who've said that Horizons, World of Motion, etc., should have stayed exactly as they were for all time. Most true EPCOT fans want to see the park evolve to reflect modern visions of the future and vital topics of the current era. But then the cynics come along with their tiresome argument about how you can't get away with that kind of stuff in a theme park nowadays, but that is pure baloney. That demonstrates just a complete lack of faith in the intelligence and inquisitiveness of the general public and lack of faith in Imagineering to produce engaging and inspiring entertainment.

I mean no disrespect with my below commentary because I consider myself kind of in the middle of this argument, but I don't see the original purpose of the park as ever being effective in the long term. From all I understand about the design and purpose attempting to be a permanent worlds fair, I think the fact that the last worlds fair to be hosted in the United States (1984) ended in bankruptcy should show even on the short term (2 months) that this is not viable long term venture.
Part of how the Fair's even remained viable were the fact that goverments pushed money into private corporations as a lure to promote demonstrations in progress in different fields. Without this, they never would have gotten involved in the first place. The last even marginally successful worlds fair also benefited greatly from the fact that television was in its infancy, with advertising being a premium. From the 1990's on the business community largely left, leaving Disney as a creative force without the people creating the new technologies actually being involved. Disney is good at telling stories, they are not good however at understanding and explaining complex subject matter without it kind of being done for them.
I work in the energy industry directly, and can with zero prejudice that the attraction that was in that building did as much to represent the field of engineering and energy production as would an episode of the Smurfs. It was an Exxon ad with some leftover dinosaur robots that did little but perpetuate a long ago disproven myth that our oil supply was created by the the dinosaurs.
I do agree there is a place for all of this stuff somewhere, but looking around as a basic citizen observer, I don't see a population that is longing to understand the physical universe. I need to do little more than turn on my television to see that. For better or worse, that is the demographics that people which create tourist destinations are forced to work with.

Amidala

I work in the energy industry directly, and can with zero prejudice that the attraction that was in that building did as much to represent the field of engineering and energy production as would an episode of the Smurfs. It was an Exxon ad with some leftover dinosaur robots that did little but perpetuate a long ago disproven myth that our oil supply was created by the the dinosaurs.
I do agree there is a place for all of this stuff somewhere, but looking around as a basic citizen observer, I don't see a population that is longing to understand the physical universe. I need to do little more than turn on my television to see that. For better or worse, that is the demographics that people which create tourist destinations are forced to work with.

I fall somewhere in the middle as well & can see the value in both sides of the argument. OTOH, I agree w/ the point that classic Epcot edutainment attractions commonly thought to "teach" guests something important (technology, physics, energy, etc.) tend to be inaccurate, biased in favor of painting corporations in a more flattering light, or both. I think "Can Disney educate & inform guests in a completely objective way?" is a question worth asking, and the answer is probably...no, not really. That being said, I think consulting experts on the field in question and focusing in-depth on one area of study or moment in our history, rather than trying to broadly communicate every aspect of a topic in the most simplistic possible terms (SSE, which I love & enjoy, does this) would be a better philosophy.

Not sure if I'm making sense here, but I'm not trying to suggest that "edutainment" is useless...But I think the approach to edutainment attractions would need to drastically change in order to hold guests' attention and foster the spread of real and useful info. It seems like TDO just aren't interested in putting in the time and research needed to make edutainment rides relevant and keep them that way. But I will say that I think this population is just as willing and able to learn as any other...The issue is often that these attractions (depending on the narration) can feel lecture-like to children, and overly simplistic/patronizing to adults...There's a middle ground that WDW often misses the mark on.

If TDO were to create an attraction that was funny and engaging for all ages, genuinely educational, and included 21st-century immersive theming/characters/etc. I'm pretty convinced guests would enjoy it. Just doesn't seem to be the direction Epcot is headed in, for better or worse.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That surprises me a bit. Given all the investment they just announced it seems they are unhappy with the balance swinging away from them as it has been recently. You'd think they wouldn't want to be caught off guard.

Oh well. Thanks again for all the info!
I'm sure there's long term aspirations and frameworks. There's only a finite area in WDW that's suitable for a new gate, WWOS is taking over more of one of those areas. There's a long term blue sky proposal to extend Seven Seas to the west for more resorts, but again that would eat into suitable park areas. Not that I think that would happen in my lifetime.

In short, there's proposals and aspirations but they're more akin to a doodle on a napkin as opposed to architectural blueprints. Notwithstanding the argument of fixing the existing parks first.

Amidala

IMHO, plopping a bunch of unrelated IP-based lands down somewhere and calling it a fifth gate would be much worse than adding lands on to existing parks as necessary. I get that some are against IP-based lands being incorporated into the main four parks on principle, but at least there's still some consideration for theme–SWL and TSL are movies, Pandora's themes are consistent with DAK's and New Fantasyland is self-explanatory.

It just feels like a Pandora/Star Wars/Miscellaneous land would be more a dumping ground than a park in its own right. What would night-time shows, parades and other forms of entertainment even look like at this land, with no theme tying it all together other than "IP"? This would also leave parks like Epcot and DHS (which are desperately in need of love & care) in disrepair. Seems like it would be the realization of everything we've been trying to avoid. And it would deprive us of a potentially fantastic fifth gate w/ a unique, original theme (around which a relevant IP-based land or two could later be built if TDO wanted).

Just4Pics

There's a long term blue sky proposal to extend Seven Seas to the west for more resorts

Regarding resorts, one thing I've always wondered is why haven't they ever built a resort somewhere on the Epcot monorail line. It's long enough that there has to be someplace along it that's suitable, right?

trainplane3

I'm sure there's long term aspirations and frameworks. There's only a finite area in WDW that's suitable for a new gate, WWOS is taking over more of one of those areas. There's a long term blue sky proposal to extend Seven Seas to the west for more resorts, but again that would eat into suitable park areas. Not that I think that would happen in my lifetime.

In short, there's proposals and aspirations but they're more akin to a doodle on a napkin as opposed to architectural blueprints. Notwithstanding the argument of fixing the existing parks first.
If they did that, would they extend the monorail for those resorts as well? I know monorail extensions are typically dead before they start, but that seems like an extension that would make sense.

Side note: I'm still trying to get my parents to understand that just because there's a maintenance switch by Willderness, there's still not going to be a monorail to there. They believe otherwise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom