News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

The Empress Lilly

Single-franchise lands are still limited to one, the three month old Pandora. They are a new phenomenon and quite antithetical to what the four WDW parks are about. Apart from large additions that need to be separated from the rest of the park as in DL they can not (in most circumstances) be fitted in without wholesale destruction of the existing parks - physical and emotional.

bclane

Single-franchise lands are still limited to one, the three month old Pandora. They are a new phenomenon and quite antithetical to what the four WDW parks are about. Apart from large additions that need to be separated from the rest of the park as in DL they can not (in most circumstances) be fitted in without wholesale destruction of the existing parks - physical and emotional.
I tend to agree and I absolutely love Pandora. While I think some franchises are worthy of an entire theme park land, I would have preferred a 5th gate for this so they could have kept the other 4 parks the way they are now. An entire new park that featured lands based on Pandora, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, some kind of Marvel Land, etc would have been ideal. It would be a new kind of Disney park that would have been a huge draw for geeks like me and it wouldn't have upset everyone who likes what we have now. Why they didn't just do that is a mystery to me.

trainplane3

Nope.

End of Sunset.
If they were going to use the regular Tron building, that really would've looked awkward next to the tower and the RnRC show building.

I guess one plus with GotG is the fact the UoE building is standing, just gutted and slightly changed externally. Well, as long as they don't deviate from the concept art.

Christian Fronckowiak

In the Parks
Yes
I tend to agree and I absolutely love Pandora. While I think some franchises are worthy of an entire theme park land, I would have preferred a 5th gate for this so they could have kept the other 4 parks the way they are now. An entire new park that featured lands based on Pandora, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, some kind of Marvel Land, etc would have been ideal. It would be a new kind of Disney park that would have been a huge draw for geeks like me and it wouldn't have upset everyone who likes what we have now. Why they didn't just do that is a mystery to me.
That's called Islands of Adventure. Plus, again we're talking hypothetically, would they have reinvested the existing four parks at the rate they are had they built a fifth gate, or would it have been at the rate they added new things in the 2000s?

bclane

Not that I know of.
That is surprising. It just makes so much more sense to me to do that instead of shoehorning all this stuff in where it doesn't belong. I could be wrong, but to me it would also help alleviate crowd issues in the other parks while also avoiding the theme issues we've been talking about here at wdwmagic.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Addition.

Ugh... ignoring any thematic clashes (unless the plan was to retheme TOT along with the rest of that end of Sunset), that would have been an even more questionable decision than building it next to Space Mountain. I mean, at least Space Mountain and Tron are relatively different styles of coasters... having two launched coasters directly adjacent to one another would have been a real head scratcher... as would loading up the end of Sunset with three E-tickets (when the typical "plan" for most theme parks is to spread the big rides around to spread the crowds).

bclane

That's called Islands of Adventure. Plus, again we're talking hypothetically, would they have reinvested the existing four parks at the rate they are had they built a fifth gate, or would it have been at the rate they added new things in the 2000s?
Well, you're not wrong of course. But then again, IOA is a fantastic park and that model fits better for what Disney seems to be doing with these highly immersive themed lands imo. I mean, they are already doing Islands of Adventure...they're just spreading it across all of their parks. Since Disney has apparently already decided to do Islands of Adventure anyway, I'd just rather they did it in a separate gate than spread it out if that makes sense. Plus, I think Disney could do it better than Uni and this is in part because they have such great franchises to work with.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Yep.

It just feels so odd thinking of Guardians being in Epcot (because it doesn't belong). It sticks out like a sore thumb. They could have at least swapped Tron and Guardians.
I can imagine Bob Iger reading the survey comments, and telling one of his minions, "If I have to read 'Why doesn't Epcot have any Disney character rides?' one more time, heads are gonna roll!"

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
What would you call it -- "Disney's Acquired Franchise Land"?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Ugh... ignoring any thematic clashes (unless the plan was to retheme TOT along with the rest of that end of Sunset), that would have been an even more questionable decision than building it next to Space Mountain. I mean, at least Space Mountain and Tron are relatively different styles of coasters... having two launched coasters directly adjacent to one another would have been a real head scratcher... as would loading up the end of Sunset with three E-tickets (when the typical "plan" for most theme parks is to spread the big rides around to spread the crowds).
It should have not been visible from Sunset in theory.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom