News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

yensidtlaw1969

I get it :)

I made a quick edit that messed up my post in a couple of places without me realizing. That's why the second sentence in where you quoted ends weirdly with just "since" and I didn't notice it until your response.

I updated it so it hopefully makes more sense.
Oh, I honestly didn't even notice the edit - Nothing in my post was directed at that. My bit about being intentional with language was more of a general note about the way we talk about "screens" as a fandom.

Disstevefan1

Just to clarify, but I don't think there are any actual "screens" on the ride, right? I think all the video is projections onto the walls. So, when a video is down, it's a probably with the projector in same fashion (as mentioned, might just be the mechanism that triggers to tell the camera to project the image). Just a minor quibble to be clear, since the ride doesn't have giant TV screens on the walls.
whatever is broken, it seems too soon for stuff to become broken.

mergatroid

It was the most fun I had on a ride in a long time...I was very unhappy with the placement of this ride, but I have to say it is a wonderful solid attraction. Bravo!!
Wow I'm surprised, but pleased as well. Got to respect your honesty there. What were the main plus points and to be fair to all, what parts (if any) that let it down or disappointed you?

Tom Morrow

At some point I remember seeing a video or blog post that explained that the reason Disney kept the Universe of Energy building, despite gutting it completely, was that as long as two walls remain up, it counts as a refurbishment and not a new project and this gives them tax breaks or a lowered cost for some reason. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and can you find the post or video explaining this?

MagicHappens1971

At some point I remember seeing a video or blog post that explained that the reason Disney kept the Universe of Energy building, despite gutting it completely, was that as long as two walls remain up, it counts as a refurbishment and not a new project and this gives them tax breaks or a lowered cost for some reason. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and can you find the post or video explaining this?
It’s somewhere in the thousands of pages of this thread. I don’t think that was really the sole reason, more so that it was already there and is serving as queue & preshow space and didn’t really hinder what the final product was. The preshow/queue areas are very blah (except the last one) but I don’t think that’s related

Casper Gutman

Looking at the new Iron Man ride in Paris, it struck me again just how weirdly Disney is handling the "non-canon" nature of their Marvel attractions.

When the company announced Marvel attractions would be non-canon, it made perfect sense. That would let the parks tell fun little stories with beloved characters that were ideally suited to whatever ride system was being used. Being non-canon freed the tightly woven overarching MCU from having to acknowledge these little side stories. Mission: Breakout was exactly the kind of story I expected, a perfect non-canon superhero one-shot.

Disney's other Marvel rides, however, take that "non-canon" license in a much odder direction, telling stories that not only don't fit in the MCU canon but that actively rip huge chunks of it to shreds. Even more strangely, they glibly discard key emotional throughlines and character development - you know, the sort of thing at which Marvel is generally really good.

I've already kvetched about Cosmic Rewind, but the Paris ride is almost as strange. It stars Iron Man and Captain Marvel. Fine. Those characters have no meaningful connection, but that doesn't really matter - they can both fly through space, which is what the ride needs. But if we remember the MCU at all, the combo becomes really offputting. When Captain Marvel first meets the Avengers, Tony is emotionally and physically shattered. He can't even help the other heroes finish off Thanos on his farm. He's completely done as a superhero - which is why his eventual return years later is such a meaningful sacrifice, the payoff to a character arc stretching over a decade. Captain Marvel and Iron Man galivanting through space just chucks that aside.

Which, again - non-canon. Multiverse. If the stories helped the rides, it would make sense. But neither the time-travel story for Rewind (which is almost entirely immaterial to the ride experience) or Iron Man actually adds anything at all to the attraction. It also stands in stark contrast to the treatment of Star Wars, where maintaining meticulous canon is so important we get Hondo as the owner of the Falcon instead of the character guests would much prefer, Han (or at least Lando). Added to the overwhelming awfulness of the Avengers Campus lands, it just contributes to the inexplicable sense that despite the fact that by almost any measure it is the most successful media franchise in history, Disney just doesn't respect Marvel very much. I really can't understand that. Are key executives envious of Feige's incredible success?

Last edited:

FigmentFan82

They def did that with little mermaid in MK - left two wall from 20k show building

gerarar

Premium Member
Cross-posting from the VQ thread.

Happy 2 months to CR! Here are all the drops since opening. We are on Day 61. Rat went to standby after 101 days.
scatter_plot-37.png

I go into more details into this post about the trends and where we are currently in relation to VQ -> standby.
GOTG: Cosmic Rewind has been open for two months now!

So lets look at the trends again for the past 60+ days!
  • 7am drops have reached the minutes-range during the past month.
  • 1pm drops have kinda stayed the same, except today being an outlier.
  • The longest drop record of 5.5 hours was set on July 1st.
  • 6pm drops still fill up in under 10 secs
  • Overall, for the past month, things have stagnated. First 30 days things were trending upwards, but now it's pretty much level'd.
View attachment 655661

At this point, GOTG: CR has been open for exactly 61 days. Compared to other ex-VQ rides, Rat was on VQ for 101 days before swapping to standby. Announced Jan 6, switch happened on Jan 10.

If CR were to similarly follow this timeline, expect the end of August towards beginning of September for the switch to standby to occur.

Also, CR's afternoon drops has been staying open longer than Rat at this point. However, this could be attributed to ride capacity, height requirement, rollercoaster vs dark ride, demand, etc.

Attachments

• scatter_plot-37.png
    scatter_plot-37.png
    186.2 KB · Views: 57

EricsBiscuit

I went on yesterday and they made a big ops improvement. In the final pre show, they now have a CM keeping people from rushing all the way towards the doors. Previously, if you had even a few people who had been on it before and decided to go towards the doors, it created massive stampedes that ruined the pre show. Now, everyone stays in place. Much better experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom