Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otterhead

and like I said before.. as a Mexican.. the movie feels more like "Donald goes to some Mexican areas". aka it focuses on Donald too much. Hell, even the photo ops outside is "donald with a hat and a sarape"
As a Mexican, what kind of ride do you think would be good there? Did you think the old ride was offensive or badly dated? Would the new ride be better if it was more about Panchito and José, do you think?

RoysCabin

I'm not Mexican, but with the original ride I always appreciated the first third or so of it: the quiet drift past the painted backdrop of the pavilion quietly bringing you into the ride where you saw the projections of native dances and interpreted mythology. That seamless transition from "outside" to "inside" on the ride always felt very cool to me, and I wish they still had that rather than doing the slow drift and immediately dropping you into the loud music and vibrant images of the Caballeros. The current ride could certainly do without the "Where's Donald?" angle, and simply focus on the guys touring around Mexico on their way to a gig.

lazyboy97o

The current ride could certainly do without the "Where's Donald?" angle, and simply focus on the guys touring around Mexico on their way to a gig.
This basic concept is the go-to for armchair Imagineering, but what then is the focus? If the point is to showcase a place or introduce a subject, why distract from that effort? The argument is usually that you'll bait and switch those only interested in the characters, but without enough focus on the characters those people will have no pay off. It's trying to do two very different things.

JohnD

I think returning EPCOT to its former glory days would still produce lines like this!

I would like to think so but probably not. In 1982, it was a brand new park with a brand new identity. Rides can and will be replaced. Perhaps some that are worthy successors to the EPCOT Center of the past. Sure there will be long lines when a new attraction opens just because it's there (e.g. Anna and Elsa) but probably not like in this video.

Herbie

So far, no.

Originally along the west side of Sunset it was Hyperion Studios / Mickeys Movieland closely followed by Roger Rabbits Hollywood. D ick Tracey's Crimestoppers would have been in a warehouse wharf setting where RnRC is today.
I always thought Tracy was going to be in a Chicago area of SoA, while Mickey's Movieland (which should replace Animation, along w/ a Steamboat fountain & Oswald meet-and-greet) was one of the earliest proposals before Sunset, since it was going to include film tech attractions that later evolved into Monster 'Sound' Show among other aspects of Animation/the Studio Tour.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I always thought Tracy was going to be in a Chicago area of SoA, while Mickey's Movieland (which should replace Animation, along w/ a Steamboat fountain & Oswald meet-and-greet) was one of the earliest proposals before Sunset, since it was going to include film tech attractions that later evolved into Monster 'Sound' Show among other aspects of Animation/the Studio Tour.
'Twas all planned for the north west side of Sunset.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Do you know anything about a proposed show called Ghostwriter? Or a dark ride based on Return to Oz?
Ghostwriter rings a bell. I'm sure I've seen some art somewhere. Oz I've heard nothing more than some fan rumour and a potential pitch many years ago.

Herbie

Ghostwriter rings a bell. I'm sure I've seen some art somewhere. Oz I've heard nothing more than some fan rumour and a potential pitch many years ago.
http://jimhillmedia.com/web_site_te...studios-backstage-tour-behind-the-scenes.aspx <-- brief mention of Ghostwriter http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/wizard-return-oz-concept-ride-422284301 <--- Oz proposal. Just for a refresher :) Out of curiosity, if you had to armchair imagineer, where would you take DHS? I know you've mentioned keep Echo Lake as is, but what about the stunt show, and in conjunction with the eventually vacant simulator along with the theaters? Animation Courtyard?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
http://jimhillmedia.com/web_site_te...studios-backstage-tour-behind-the-scenes.aspx <-- brief mention of Ghostwriter http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/wizard-return-oz-concept-ride-422284301 <--- Oz proposal. Just for a refresher :) Out of curiosity, if you had to armchair imagineer, where would you take DHS? I know you've mentioned keep Echo Lake as is, but what about the stunt show, and in conjunction with the eventually vacant simulator along with the theaters? Animation Courtyard?
Indy still pulls em in. I think there are other areas to worry about more. Superstar and Monster theatres are vastly under-utilised facilities. The Animation Courtyard is a mess; the Animation building a travesty of wasted space. It's a theme park, not an office complex. Those inside it could be anywhere on or off property. As was a plan a year or two ago. This would be an ideal place to do the Mickey ride, assuming Animation Courtyard stayed as themed. It's too late to change TSL. A wasted opportunity. And then properly develop Sunset north west with a D dark ride or two.

Last edited:

Herbie

Indy still pulls em in. I think there are other areas to worry about more. Superstar and Monster theatres are vastly under-utilised facilities. The Animation Courtyard is a mess; the Animation building a travesty of wasted space. It's a theme park, not an office complex. Those inside it could be anywhere on or off property. As was a plan a year or two ago. This would be an ideal place do the Mickey ride, assuming Animation Courtyard stayed as themed. It's too late to change TSL. A wasted opportunity. And then properly develop Sunset north west with a D dark ride or two.
Do you have an idea of what could/should replace the Echo theaters, as in theming?These areas leave me stumped, every time I try to think of something.

Herbie

I could be predictable and say some audience participation shows.... maybe one about visuals and one about audio... each with comic results....

But seriously I don't think the company knows.
Lol, I've considered going back to the roots of the buildings (in my little fantasy Disney football imagineer wannabe mind), but it just never seems to click with today's park. And I'm the nostalgic type. I do feel it'd be only too easy to bring back Superstar Television. Left too soon. Can not imagine what lead it to be replaced by Doug Live...

RSoxNo1

ToT was debunked. By I think Chapek himself. Doesn't mean they won't ultimately do it, they've lied to us before, but it seems nothing changed and GoTG is still going into Energy. Unless I missed something.

I know it's a lot of pages but do people read these threads at all?
Tower of Terror was originally reported by @WDW1974 as very likely for DCA and possible for DHS. Sounds like he was spot on...

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Magic Kingdom is really no more IP heavy than any of the other parks.

Magic Kingdom is a series of loosely connected themes lands meant to represent some of the major archetypes of storytelling and imagination. Adventure, cowboys, the future, fantasy, the past, etc.

Epcot is half a celebration of the world and half a celebration of discovery and innovation.

Hollywood Studios has pretty much always been mostly IP as it is themed to the movies. Thus, it has a lot of lee way as far as what does and does not "fit"

Lastly, Animal Kingdom is nature, the environment, and animals. The icon of the parks has a 3d bugs life show in it. Literally built around IP.

Making a park "MK 2.0" in no way means making it more filled with IP. "MK 2.0" would just be making it themed to General ideas and archetypes. MK 2.0, if anything, would be Tokyo Disney Sea.

Areas themed to IP and IP only would be IOA 2.0. Especially if the new areas begin to feel devoid of personality and character of their own and just start to feel like touring movie sets.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Magic Kingdom is really no more IP heavy than any of the other parks.

Magic Kingdom is a series of loosely connected themes lands meant to represent some of the major archetypes of storytelling and imagination. Adventure, cowboys, the future, fantasy, the past, etc.

Epcot is half a celebration of the world and half a celebration of discovery and innovation.

Hollywood Studios has pretty much always been mostly IP as it is themed to the movies. Thus, it has a lot of lee way as far as what does and does not "fit"

Lastly, Animal Kingdom is nature, the environment, and animals. The icon of the parks has a 3d bugs life show in it. Literally built around IP.

Making a park "MK 2.0" in no way means making it more filled with IP. "MK 2.0" would just be making it themed to General ideas and archetypes. MK 2.0, if anything, would be Tokyo Disney Sea.

Areas themed to IP and IP only would be IOA 2.0. Especially if the new areas begin to feel devoid of personality and character of their own and just start to feel like touring movie sets.
"MK 2.0" is more a way of saying too much IP based themes that would be better suited to a castle park, as opposed to original content that would better be suited in another park.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom