News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

tirian

Lol. I think this is another thing that irks me about SSE, and WDW/DL (UNI too), is the new "norm" for wait times and how park crowd capacity seems to get higher every year.

The simple fact that SSE in its current state (read that sentence to equate it to being pathetic) has lines longer than 30-45 minutes consistently, even during off season days, indicates to me, that something terribly is wrong with Epcot and its offerings. I remember someone posting a few weeks ago that every time they try and ride Gran Fiesta that there's a 15-30 minute wait.

I know some of this can be attributed to how fastpass scheduling spreads out crowds, but if I were Epcot management I'd be looking at those situations as alarm bells and be chomping at the bit to build more attractions.

Neither of those rides merit longer than 10 minutes of waiting.
You’re right. IASW, SSE, HM, POTC, and other constant loaders shouldn’t have long queues unless the parks are exceptionally busy. The attractions were built to absorb crowds. They’re not supposed to have long queues!

tirian

I think the highlighted statement in parentheses is a clue to the answer. What separates Body Wars and Maelstrom from other rides? Mainly, they were immersive (your adventure) instead of presentational (Epcot’s original style of showing you things, rather than DL/MK’s traditional “taking you there”).

So the problem with original Epcot might not have been its themes (or lack of movie IP), but the arguably-failed experiment of “presentational” style. As a result, the themes/meaning/purpose of Epcot could have been maintained while simply moving toward more immersive attractions in the vein of Body Wars and Maelstrom.

Unfortunately, Disney is a publicly held company with an expectation/pressure to maximize revenue. So, if moving to immersive style AND integrating movie IPs (even if the latter isn’t necessary for increasing guest satisfaction and revenue), it will unforunately be motivated to do both.

Our only hope might be if maintaining the underlying themes/purpose of Epcot were determined to be to its long-term benefit with respect to revenue (e.g., due to that increasing guest satisfaction because guests find it meaningful and inspiring).

Just my thoughts.
Good points. Let’s be honest: the original EPCOT Center was inspiring but had too many slow-moving omnimovers that relied on excellent, immersive special effects but old-fashioned presentations. There wasn’t much re-ride value for most people, but the park still inspired millions of them the one or two times they rode those attractions.

IMHO, World of Motion/Test Track wasn’t much of a loss. Neither was the conversion of Kitchen Kabaret to Food Rocks and Soarin’. But Horizons, the Living Seas, and especially Imagination were nearly perfect pavilions that only needed updates, and their replacements are pathetic. SSE was somehow improved and dumbed down by great tech updates and an amateur script.

Innoventions/Communicore should be a place for CES and E3 exhibitions to live for 10–11 months until the new versions roll around each year.

Last edited:

Monorail_Red_77

Not sure if it has been asked yet. But the recent realigned road directly behind Wonder Building. It was moved closer to wonders thereby eliminating a small parking area. So, I wonder if this roadway that was just rebuilt will remain and the launch building that will connect the pre-show/load (Universe) building to the Gravity Building will be elevated over the roadway or will the freshly paved road be removed when it is time to connect the two buildings.

Rich Brownn

I feel like many people aren't realizing that the look of Mission Breakout in California Adventure isn't based on some common aesthetic in the GOTG movies... It's supposed to be based on the Collector's Tower that's located on the planet Knowhere in the the movie. Or it's supposed to be a second tower of his made in Disneyland or something.. not entirely sure... BUT point is I keep seeing people saying "hope this doesn't look like GOTG Tower" when there's no way they would do that since it wouldn't really make sense. This ride in Epcot is supposed to have to do with the planet Xandar and the Nova Corps in the GOTG movies. Which is a much nicer looking place than Knowhere. When I first saw the movie I actually felt like it looked like a Tomorrowland/Future World mix.. kind of... Maybe watch the first GOTG movie and look for the scenes when they're in Xandar. If they base this building off a building from there I really don't see why it wouldn't look nice and fit with Future World.
Thats gonna be tough considering

Lensman

I've figured out a "good" inappropriate theming idea.
Borc_cube_orbits_Earth,_remastered.jpg

I was inspired by @MisterPenguin's 3D rendering of the building!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Good points. Let’s be honest: the original EPCOT Center was inspiring but had too many slow-moving omnimovers that relied on excellent, immersive special effects but old-fashioned presentations. There wasn’t much re-ride value for most people, but the park still inspired millions of them the one or two times they rode those attractions.

IMHO, World of Motion/Test Track wasn’t much of a loss. Neither was the conversion of Kitchen Kabaret to Food Rocks and Soarin’. But Horizons, the Living Seas, and especially Imagination were nearly perfect pavilions that only needed updates, and their replacements are pathetic. SSE was somehow improved and dumbed down by great tech updates and an amateur script.

Innoventions/Communicore should be a place for CES and E3 exhibitions to live for 10–11 months until the new versions one roll around each year.

So with you...
I had no love lost for WoM... and as cheezy as TT aged.. I still think it struct the balance of info/thrill.
The land theatre show was always really bad to me (as was all of WoL)
Letting both the Seas and Land go from labs to faux stuff was criminal IMO and I'd fully support them just tearing the Seas out now

smile

I mean, you aren't wrong. Cronkite was a celebrity. However, he was specifically selected because at that time he was more than a celebrity. Cronkite was a journalist who was universally trusted and beloved. Cronkite was the voice of the 20th Century. His coverage of JFK's assassination and, later, the moon landing are still watched by students and anyone interested in the impact of the media on society. When Cronkite said something, you believed it. When he retired from CBS, the whole country was saddened. Anyone who only knows about television news from our modern clusterfrack may have a hard time comprehending the importance of people like Cronkite and David Brinkley and how trusted they were because of their journalistic standards.

Cronkite was the perfect choice for a trip through the evolution of communication and its importance as a force for societal change. He could have said, "In 1723, cheese was accepted as currency by all major banks, second only in value to earthworms," and everyone in America would say, "Sounds screwy, but if Cronkite said it, it must be true."

well stated - from an age when journalistic integrity actually meant something...
the only point i'd like to add is that walter himself was also a perfect bridge betwen the radio and computer communiaton eras

smile

IMHO, World of Motion/Test Track wasn’t much of a loss.

i take issue with this...
wom was mecca for the art of animatronics - scores more than any other ride before or since, with arguably the greatest dark ride scene ever created... scenes created by two old utter geniuses, btw, pivotal to much we hold dear

... we were left with a total clusterfudge for a few years followed by an attraction eclipsed by exceeding the speed limit in a convertible on your way home

i'll concede that i rarely feel i hold the majority view on this, however.. and it puzzles me

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom