News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

smile

The 180 top and the descent had a score. The original did not.

semantics, eh?

from before 'for eons' to 'attention time travelers' was, in fact, scoreless...
check the spoiler for a relative comparison of dialogue with and without background music.

bolded denotes background 'score'/theme song
For eons, our planet has drifted as a spaceship through the universe. And for a brief moment, we have been its passengers. Yet in that time, we've made tremendous progress in our ability to record and share knowledge. So let's journey back 40,000 years to the dawn of recorded history. We'll trace the path of communications from its earliest beginnings to the promise of the future.
We have reached the dawn of recorded time, an age when mammoth creatures roam the land. But with spoken language, the ancient hunters learn to work together and meet the challenges of this hostile world.
In primal tribes, the skills of survival are passed on to new generations through the art of storytelling. Not trusting this knowledge to memory alone, our ancestors create a lasting reminder with cave paintings.
Ages later, stories and knowledge are transcribed in complex pictures and symbols. Hieroglyphics mark the rise of written language and soon with papyrus scrolls, the written word begins to travel out across the land.
The value of writing for accurate record keeping appeals to Phoenician merchants. They create an alphabet. Simple enough for any to learn, and share this new tool at ports along the Mediterranean.
In classic Greece, the alphabet grows and flowers with new expression and a new stage of storytelling emerges; a stage on which we examine our world and ourselves. The theater is born.
The Romans build a mighty system of roads, a long distance network to carry laws and tidings over a far reaching empire.
Glorious Rome falls victim to the flames of excess. Ages of knowledge are lost or forgotten in the ashes.
But all is not lost, for Islamic and Jewish scholars continue to preserve ancient wisdom in noble libraries. In their travels, they record knowledge, and share their findings with cultures east and west.
In western abbeys, monks toil endlessly transcribing ancient writings into hand penned books of revelation.
The dawn of the Renaissance brings a wondrous new machine, the printing press. Now books and authors flourish as never before.
The Renaissance, a time of renewed interest in the worlds of poetry and music, science, philosophy and art. Behold, the majesty of the Sistine ceiling.
On this wave of inspiration, we sail into a bold, new era. An age of astounding inventions and ever increasing progress in communications.
With electronic communications we can send messages instantly over long distances. Signals and voices criss-cross the nation. Radio and movies inform and entertain millions. Then television brings the world into our homes profoundly changing our perceptions of life itself.
Instant communications create an ever-increasing flow of facts and figures. To manage this growing storehouse of information, we invent the computer. A revolutionary tool made practical by the tiny transistor.
Today, we're merging the technologies of communications and computers to store, process and share information. And we're creating a vast electronic network stretching from our homes to the reaches of space.
We have entered a wondrous new age, the age of information. A time of new promise and new hope for ourselves and Spaceship Earth.
Today, our search for understanding is unbounded by space and time. Centuries of information stand ready to reach us in an instant. Our link with the past, our hope for the future.
In the information age, our knowledge and tools of communication will continue to grow and improve. We'll discover new ways to share our ideas and dreams, to create a better world for today, tomorrow and Tomorrow's Child.
Yes, Tomorrow's Child, embodying our hopes and dreams for the future. A future made possible by the information age. The technologies of this new era will extend our reach, expand the capabilities of the human mind and help us shape a better tomorrow.
Ours is a time of unprecedented choice and opportunity; so let us explore and question and understand. Let us learn from our past and meet the challenges of the future, let us go forth and fulfill our destiny on Spaceship Earth.

smile

Seeing how mighty some of those roof supports look I think they could do some kind of cantilever design which would be a great way to enhance a box.

While looking for an example I came across this amazingly well dressed up box:
Bacardi2.JPG

like your thinking here with such bold architecture...
cannot appreciate the application of such as pig lipstick, however.

yensidtlaw1969

As far as I know ( which isn’t nearly everything) they’ve always been there.
Has it gotten brighter inside SSE in recent times? I remember feeling for years like so much of the ride was floating in a rich, inky blackness, and now there are almost no spots where it feels that way. Pirates and Mansion feel similarly too, though I know they have indeed updated lighting in some spots resulting in brighter scenes.

It would explain why ceiling tiles are being noticed . . .

The Empress Lilly

Same.. although I'm not as adverse to modern Epcot as you, SSE is still, even in it's current incarnation, the best attraction at Epcot.
Definitely! The ascent from the mists of time up to the Sistine Chapel remains the spiritual experience it has always been.

EPCOT was not the world's greatest theme park. No, it was much more than that. It was a spiritual experience. You can still feel it, in the ascent up SSE, in the fires and sparks of imagination of Illuminations, in the AA (is there a more beautiful ode to America? Still a universal dream), in WS after Illuminations.

I have not been able to walk WS from one end to the other in years. There is simply more beauty than I can bear. It takes me too long.

tirian

Definitely! The ascent from the mists of time up to the Sistine Chapel remains the spiritual experience it has always been.

EPCOT was not the world's greatest theme park. No, it was much more than that. It was a spiritual experience. You can still feel it, in the ascent up SSE, in the fires and sparks of imagination of Illuminations, in the AA (is there a more beautiful ode to America? Still a universal dream), in WS after Illuminations.

I have not been able to walk WS from one end to the other in years. There is simply more beauty than I can bear. It takes me too long.
I hope you’re not joking here, because even as a kid, Epcot jumpstarted my love of science and traveling in a way nothing else did, including the internet and TV shows.

Edit: those Imagineers didn’t build Walt’s city (which arguably wouldn’t have worked anyway), but they did build a masterpiece.

RSoxNo1

Whenever approaching what is a thematic fit for a park, I like to look at the dedication. In EPCOT Center's case:

Sounds familiar...
Universal has a lot more rides with height requirements...
When a park's theme is questioned I like to look at the dedication plaque. It's not a perfect solution, but it's a call for direction:

Epcot

To all who come to this Place of Joy, Hope and Friendship

Welcome

Epcot is inspired by Walt Disney's creative vision. Here, human achievements are celebrated through imagination, wonders of enterprise and concepts of a future that promises new and exciting benefits for all.

May EPCOT Center entertain, inform and inspire and above all, may it instill a new sense of belief and pride in man's ability to shape a world that offers hope to people everywhere.

I encourage people to read this article I wrote in 2016 that offers one possible "fix" for Epcot: https://micechat.com/148461-fixing-epcot/

Marc Davis Fan

First trip the lines were way out the door. Imagination started by the Land. Next trip, all the lines were comfortably indoors. By the next it was all walk-ons (except for Body Wars and Maelstrom.) Somehow, all the rides at the older park still maintained their long lines (and still do to this day.)

I think the highlighted statement in parentheses is a clue to the answer. What separates Body Wars and Maelstrom from other rides? Mainly, they were immersive (your adventure) instead of presentational (Epcot’s original style of showing you things, rather than DL/MK’s traditional “taking you there”).

So the problem with original Epcot might not have been its themes (or lack of movie IP), but the arguably-failed experiment of “presentational” style. As a result, the themes/meaning/purpose of Epcot could have been maintained while simply moving toward more immersive attractions in the vein of Body Wars and Maelstrom.

Unfortunately, Disney is a publicly held company with an expectation/pressure to maximize revenue. So, if moving to immersive style AND integrating movie IPs is the most profitable strategy (even if the latter of those two isn’t necessary for increasing guest satisfaction and revenue), it will unforunately be motivated to employ this strategy.

Our only hope might be if maintaining the underlying themes/purpose of Epcot were determined to be to its long-term benefit with respect to revenue (e.g., due to that increasing guest satisfaction because guests find it meaningful and inspiring).

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

rle4lunch

Hahahahah

Lol. I think this is another thing that irks me about SSE, and WDW/DL (UNI too), is the new "norm" for wait times and how park crowd capacity seems to get higher every year.

The simple fact that SSE in its current state (read that sentence to equate it to being pathetic) has lines longer than 30-45 minutes consistently, even during off season days, indicates to me, that something terribly is wrong with Epcot and its offerings. I remember someone posting a few weeks ago that every time they try and ride Gran Fiesta that there's a 15-30 minute wait.

I know some of this can be attributed to how fastpass scheduling spreads out crowds, but if I were Epcot management I'd be looking at those situations as alarm bells and be chomping at the bit to build more attractions.

Neither of those rides merit longer than 10 minutes of waiting.

sedati

I think the highlighted statement in parentheses is a clue to the answer. What separates Body Wars and Maelstrom from other rides? Mainly, they were immersive (your adventure) instead of presentational (Epcot’s original style of showing you things, rather than DL/MK’s traditional “taking you there”).

So the problem with original Epcot might not have been its themes (or lack of movie IP), but the arguably-failed experiment of “presentational” style. As a result, the themes/meaning/purpose of Epcot could have been maintained while simply moving toward more immersive attractions in the vein of Body Wars and Maelstrom.

Unfortunately, Disney is a publicly held company with an expectation/pressure to maximize revenue. So, if moving to immersive style AND integrating movie IPs (even if the latter isn’t necessary for increasing guest satisfaction and revenue), it will unforunately be motivated to do both.

Our only hope might be if maintaining the underlying themes/purpose of Epcot were determined to be to its long-term benefit with respect to revenue (e.g., due to that increasing guest satisfaction because guests find it meaningful and inspiring).

Just my thoughts.
Good points.

I'd add that at that time those rides were new, not built to the capacity of previous Epcot attractions, and over-hyped as filling a thrill-ride need.

geekza

Cronkite was too mainstream for me. -_-

It's when the celeb narrator fashion in EPCOT started. Me, I preferred the unabashed aloofness of version 1.0. Although SSE has been great in every version. I´m not even averse to the current version, shortcomings and all.
I mean, you aren't wrong. Cronkite was a celebrity. However, he was specifically selected because at that time he was more than a celebrity. Cronkite was a journalist who was universally trusted and beloved. Cronkite was the voice of the 20th Century. His coverage of JFK's assassination and, later, the moon landing are still watched by students and anyone interested in the impact of the media on society. When Cronkite said something, you believed it. When he retired from CBS, the whole country was saddened. Anyone who only knows about television news from our modern clusterfrack may have a hard time comprehending the importance of people like Cronkite and David Brinkley and how trusted they were because of their journalistic standards.

Cronkite was the perfect choice for a trip through the evolution of communication and its importance as a force for societal change. He could have said, "In 1723, cheese was accepted as currency by all major banks, second only in value to earthworms," and everyone in America would say, "Sounds screwy, but if Cronkite said it, it must be true."

geekza

I hope you’re not joking here, because even as a kid, Epcot jumpstarted my love of science and traveling in a way nothing else did, including the internet and TV shows.

Edit: those Imagineers didn’t build Walt’s city (which arguably wouldn’t have worked anyway), but they did build a masterpiece.
This book is one of the best purchases I ever made. Whenever I get to feeling down about the current state of Epcot, I can pull it out and remember the love and ambition that went into the original park. In its day, it was truly remarkable.

EpcotBook.jpg

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
This book is one of the best purchases I ever made. Whenever I get to feeling down about the current state of Epcot, I can pull it out and remember the love and ambition that went into the original park. In its day, it was truly remarkable.

View attachment 291199
Not to try to "one up" you in any way, but I have read that book and its fantastic but Marty Sklar's Dream it! Do It! is just incredible and really gives you insight in Walt's mind the the thinking of WED back in the old days. I REALLY recommend everyone pick it up

image_08c72c4d.jpeg

Monorail_Red_77

View attachment 291199
I have a friend that has this book and it is autographed by some of the Imagineers that worked on different areas. I don't remember who. But he showed me. Very cool. Imagineer basically thumbed through the book and signed on the pages where his work was shown.

I recently bought this book off Ebay. Love it. Mine is not signed though. LOL

Monorail_Red_77

Not to try to "one up" you in any way, but I have read that book and its fantastic but Marty Sklar's Dream it! Do It! is just incredible and really gives you insight in Walt's mind the the thinking of WED back in the old days. I REALLY recommend everyone pick it up

image_08c72c4d.jpeg
Great book. I just recently picked this up a few months ago.

geekza

image_08c72c4d.jpeg
Another one of my favorites!

tirian

View attachment 291199
I do the same thing. It’s required reading for anyone who claims to be a true fan of theme parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom