News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

The Empress Lilly

I agree on this. I think the premium paid for Disney by the “average guest” is because it is more/better than Six Flags. But I’m sure they don’t obsess like we do here about something like the theming or lack thereof of the exterior of a show building.
Yes. The mechanism is subtle. If one were to ask the average guest if a large boxy showbuilding left visible in plain sight is a problem they'd answer that this is excessive perfectionism. Yet if you observe them, the areas where they linger, where they sit down, are the very areas where the theming and placemaking is achieved through these perfectionist means they laugh off. Subconsciously they do notice the effects.

Indeed, it is why they go to EPCOT and not Six Flags, even if they just ask for coasters and beers in their amusement park.

Last edited:

Jenny72

Yes--it's hard to articulate what makes a park really special to be in. Obviously great rides are a big part of the parks, but there's a feeling you get from being immersed in a truly unique and beautiful environment. So much of the world we live is pretty aesthetically ugly, filled with warehouses and office parks and strip malls. People like to escape to a truly unique and, yes, "magical" place.

But generally if someone asks people about what they enjoy, they'll think of the rides/shows. This is true for all sorts of things: people pick up on a vibe but can't really describe what bothers them or delights them. So they'll ask for "coasters and beer" but eventually stop coming if that's all there is. They're not dumb or insensitive; they just haven't put their finger on what is so delightful about the space.

eliza61nyc

I think that's unfair. The narrative here in this forum is that we (or at least some of us, especially those who hate IP) know best and that everyone else just laps up any old trash. If that were the case, why would people spend so much time and money visiting WDW when they could go to their local Six Flags instead? Sure, the average guest is going to be less obsessive about it than a hardcore fan, but s/he is still going to care to an extent.

Absolutely the attitude here.

Incomudro

I thought it was going to be quite the eyesore from what I read online, and in person I didn’t think it was that bad.

I’d suspect the “average” guest doesn’t pay any attention to this at all. And if it houses a good attraction, they wouldn’t care even if they think it’s ugly from the outside. Just a guess. :)
Yes--it's hard to articulate what makes a park really special to be in. Obviously great rides are a big part of the parks, but there's a feeling you get from being immersed in a truly unique and beautiful environment. So much of the world we live is pretty aesthetically ugly, filled with warehouses and office parks and strip malls. People like to escape to a truly unique and, yes, "magical" place.

But generally if someone asks people about what they enjoy, they'll think of the rides/shows. This is true for all sorts of things: people pick up on a vibe but can't really describe what bothers them or delights them. So they'll ask for "coasters and beer" but eventually stop coming if that's all there is. They're not dumb or insensitive; they just haven't put their finger on what is so delightful about the space.

Good post.
It's up to the individual's taste and perception to decide that something they like isn't what it once was anymore.
My family loves WDW, but I detail on what's going on there and they don't.
I remember my wife seeing the soarin' structure and remarking "I wonder what that building's for?"
"I don't know" was my reply - as I didn't at the time.
We didn't give it much thought, continued walking - it must have past whatever viewing angle it was visible at, and that was that.
This GotG building seems much more obvious.
I'd be curious to see if my family notices it and comments on it if I don't mention anything to them.
We can get away with one Soarin' building.
Perhaps one GotG building - perhaps not?

phillip9698

I think that's unfair. The narrative here in this forum is that we (or at least some of us, especially those who hate IP) know best and that everyone else just laps up any old trash. If that were the case, why would people spend so much time and money visiting WDW when they could go to their local Six Flags instead? Sure, the average guest is going to be less obsessive about it than a hardcore fan, but s/he is still going to care to an extent.

Because themed show building aside Disney has quite a lot to offer that the local Six Flags doesn't. On the list of what guests want out of a park highly themed or hidden show buildings would be pretty far down on the list.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Not to start rumors of stir the pot but I haven't seen much work being done since the marathon. Just missed it? Workers reassigned to higher priority project? Work stalled?

There isn't much visible now that still needs work. Most of the work is going on inside the buildings. What we can see has progressed in that period. You can see that the launch hill has been had it's roof installed.

Marathon
1547920186506.png

Yesteday
1547920210115.png

Touchdown

Roller Coasters out in the world can be very pleasing, most B&M coasters look like modern art, you can’t tell me that Manta’s midway fly by, Shiekra’s splashdown, or 2/3rds of Cedar Point’s roller coasters are ugly.

It’s a different style from Disney but that doesn’t mean it’s bad. Disney style isn’t always beautiful either. Old Fantasyland at MK, RnRC, Hollywoodland in DCA, Tomorrowland at DL, the backlot or Pixar Place at DHS, the TTC are all at best boring or worse downright ugly. I seem to remember everyone complaining of Soarin’s building back in the day, and the vistas from WS were “ruined” by the Swolphin long before that, Epcot is supposed to be a Worlds Fair, most Worlds Fairs took place in cities and thus had sightlines ruined by the city skylines, personally DHS and Epcot have never been self contained environments and it doesn’t bother me. Personally, I’m more bothered by the view of Avatarland and Everest from the parking lot more then GotG.

The Pho

They go to Disney because Disney offers more fun things for a wider range of people than any other park. Six Flags, Busch Gardens, and Cedar Point are only good for people that like big coasters. Disney, and to a lesser extent Universal, offer rides and shows for everybody. Then for Disney World, there’s a whole lot of stuff not in the parks to also do, the extent of which no other place can offer (although those options have been shrinking). Even the biggest Disney fans aren’t there because sight lines were properly handled, but they’ll still be disappointed.

MickeyMinnieMom

Those and water skiing, parasailing, race cars, etc.
Technically true... but how many people did any of these things? I’ve stayed at BLT and Contemporary so many times... i can’t recall seeing anyone doing any of those water sports. And we never considered it. Between lack of interest and gators ;) , this seems like an obvious thing to can.

The Pho

Technically true... but how many people did any of these things? I’ve stayed at BLT and Contemporary so many times... i can’t recall seeing anyone doing any of those water sports. And we never considered it. Between lack of interest and gators ;) , this seems like an obvious thing to can.
Not faulting Disney or the third parties there, but there are less things and those were examples. And we’ve lost many many things outside the parks. Also waterskiing next to Goofy on Bay Lake was an incredible experience I’ll never forget.

Idoonu

Guys, this big ugly building just popped up recently in DHS. I think they're calling it "star tours"? Jesus, this park is starting to look more like a warehousing district every day.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What sort of timeline do these things take? Two years? Three?

Spring of 2021 is what WDW is shooting for. How long it takes to build one if one didn't give oneself a goal so far off is unknown.

Future World pavilions:
  • Energy - A replacement for Ellen's Energy Adventure will be a Guardian of the Galaxy coaster. [confirmed at D23 2017]
    • Timeline: Opens Spring 2021 [here]

Mike S

Guys, this big ugly building just popped up recently in DHS. I think they're calling it "star tours"? Jesus, this park is starting to look more like a warehousing district every day.
You do know the park was originally intended to give off the vibe of a real working movie studio, right? For a time it actually was too.

To @tigerlight, Mickey Avenue was originally only part of the backlot tour. Guests didn’t walk there always.

Movielover

And that lasted for what, a year? Which is about as long as it was a "working studio"

Productions for both film and TV lasted well into the mid to late 90's. True the live action studio failed after about a 10 year period due to many different factors adding up to a non viable filming location but it certainly lasted more than a year. The animation studio lasted a little bit longer until 2004. You would be surprise just how much was actually filmed at this tiny studio, they really tried to make it work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom