Guardian's CM's Shout Out

NelsonRD

I don’t think the policy is intended to be a stain on the Disney experience. It’s probably to ensure that the people waiting in long lines get on the ride as quickly as possible. In any event, CMs should never be taken to task simply for enforcing Disney’s policies even if the guests feel they deserve to be exceptions.

The key to excellent customer service is to give the workers/cast members the power to make decisions and interpret policy. Holding up this line delayed more people longer, and upset more people, than letting 1 seat go empty.

There has been several discussions on the reduction of value from the Disney Parks. From service going down, to less friendly Cast Members, being nickeled and dimed, and rude guests at the parks. Policing such a trivial minor issue with authority in my opinion made the situation worse.

correcaminos

I am sorry, I disagree. That is pretty harsh calling the family stupid. Of all the entitled guest behavior, I do not believe asking for one seat to go empty is far out of bounds. Almost every attraction, I have seen an empty seat.

I prefer to not be treated like cattle. Enforcing every seat must be filled is a stain on the Disney experience for me.
We can agree to disagree. The ask was the lack of common sense in the definition of stupid: having or showing a great lack of <snip> common sense. Lacking the common sense to know that every seat can be filled is what I was referring to. It was entitled/rude to make the demand. They always try to fill spots. Hence single rider lines in many attractions. When we rode with odd numbers they did put others with us at times. Same with Expedition Everest. Test track does this. 7DMT does this. RnR does this. Etc.

You see this as trivial because you agree with the ask. Someone like me thinks asks like this only encourages bad guest behavior.

NelsonRD

Could this be a KatieBug 2.0? As far as empty seats go, that doesn’t appear to be happening at WDW lately. Follow the posts from guests who have been there recently. The parks are packed. If you prefer not to be treated like “cattle”, then perhaps a visit to WDW is not the place to be right now or the near future.
It seems like you are missing the point that Disney is a Family theme park where people go to Vacation, people visit to be entertained, relax, and enjoy some time off. This isn’t public transit. We know the parks are packed. We are all Disney fans here and have been visiting for decades.

Its kind of funny to be called KatieBug 2.0 by you, when you are also making multiple posts asking for a better room/ room changes as an act of getting something better that what you were originally assigned.

Last edited:

NelsonRD

We can agree to disagree. The ask was the lack of common sense in the definition of stupid: having or showing a great lack of <snip> common sense. Lacking the common sense to know that every seat can be filled is what I was referring to. It was entitled/rude to make the demand. They always try to fill spots. Hence single rider lines in many attractions. When we rode with odd numbers they did put others with us at times. Same with Expedition Everest. Test track does this. 7DMT does this. RnR does this. Etc.

You see this as trivial because you agree with the ask. Someone like me thinks asks like this only encourages bad guest behavior.

You have 2 options to deal with this situation.

1. Allow the guest request, 1 seat goes empty. 1 person has to wait for the next train. The family gets the souvenir photo that last forever. Everybody is happy.
2. You hold up the line, anger the family, anger everybody else in line wondering why several trains are being loaded, but not this one, interrupt the manager CM to come over, and create a several minute delay, the family remembers that moment forever, all because we want to stick it to somebody.

This isn't bad guest behavior. Taking flash photos is, line cutting is, bumping into me to make the line move faster is, inappropriate conversation in line is, not watching your children is, and I can go on and on. Asking for special seat assignment is not bad behavior.

So, how is option 2 better again other than being authoritative?

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No

1. Allow the guest request, 1 seat goes empty. 1 person has to wait for the next train. The family gets the souvenir photo that last forever. Everybody is happy.
2. You hold up the line, anger the family, anger everybody else in line wondering why several trains are being loaded, but not this one, interrupt the manager CM to come over, and create a several minute delay, the family remembers that moment forever, all because we want to stick it to somebody.

This isn't bad guest behavior. Taking flash photos is, line cutting is, bumping into me to make the line move faster is, inappropriate conversation in line is, not watching your children is, and I can go on and on. Asking for special seat assignment is not bad behavior.

It's clear you've never worked in a theme park before. I am thrilled to see that CMs are prioritizing running the attraction to its best capacity instead of bending over backwards for demanding guests. Just because you're here with your family doesn't mean you're entitled to a magical moment.

erstwo

1. Allow the guest to LIE TO YOUR FACE. PITCH A FIT and embarrass another guest.
2.. Allow the guest request, 1 seat goes empty. 1 person has to wait for the next train. The family gets the souvenir photo that last forever. Everybody is happy.
3.. You hold up the line, anger the family, anger everybody else in line wondering why several trains are being loaded, but not this one, interrupt the manager CM to come over, and create a several minute delay, the family remembers that moment forever, all because we want to stick it to somebody.

Fixed the order there for you. You seem to totally have skipped over the part where the CM called out the father/ guest for lying from the very first moment.

It's one thing to make a polite request at the time of being seated on the ride and accept the response (yes OR no) gracefully.

It's totally another thing to lie, make someone's job more difficult, and embarrass a fellow guest (the OPs son) in the process.

NelsonRD

It's clear you've never worked in a theme park before. I am thrilled to see that CMs are prioritizing running the attraction to its best capacity instead of bending over backwards for demanding guests. Just because you're here with your family doesn't mean you're entitled to a magical moment.
I have not worked in a theme park, but have visited several times. I am sorry, but they reduced overall capacity during this ordeal by letting the train sit to police this matter. Seems like more people were bending over backwards, and going out of their way to make this situation even worse.

correcaminos

Not just one person as you will be asking the entire other party with odd numbers to split or wait. You'll now have 3 empty seats.

You said yourself we know Disney is packed. Being packed means one should know that you'll be packed on attractions. Again we'll have to agree to disagree on this. I find this mentality to be uncaring of others and entitled. Even when doing a VIP tour our guide made us odd numbered. We had singles riding next to us at times when the configuration allowed. I suppose only a true security risk would be my exception for a group allowing a stranger next to them. But even then the VIP tour guide could be the odd next to a stranger. Ours often did or chose not to ride as to not take up a spot on some rides.

Chi84

Premium Member
The key to excellent customer service is to give the workers/cast members the power to make decisions and interpret policy. Holding up this line delayed more people longer, and upset more people, than letting 1 seat go empty.

There has been several discussions on the reduction of value from the Disney Parks. From service going down, to less friendly Cast Members, being nickeled and dimed, and rude guests at the parks. Policing such a trivial minor issue with authority in my opinion made the situation worse.
Giving in to people demanding special treatment is often the easiest way to go, but that doesn't make it right. You're entitled to your opinion, but I wouldn't expect too many others to agree with you. This kind of entitled behavior is becoming more and more common and people are getting tired of it.

CMs do have the power to make decisions and interpret policy, and that's exactly what this CM did. You just don't like the decision that was made. Others agree with it.

Chi84

Premium Member
They sure were, the family who demanded to be seated without strangers.
This is true. I'm not sure how it was the CM who was "holding up the line." They said no to the request for special treatment and it was the dad who started "raising cane" and holding up the line. If he had simply gone along with the CM's decision, the line would have moved along just fine.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
I have not worked in a theme park, but have visited several times. I am sorry, but they reduced overall capacity during this ordeal by letting the train sit to police this matter. Seems like more people were bending over backwards, and going out of their way to make this situation even worse.
There is a ripple effect. Two ripple effects actually. It’s not as simple as letting this one seat go empty right now. The other parties behind this party will need to be reconfigured. Breaks the flow. The process is easiest while doing as guests enter into the boarding area. Now the CMs have to rematch in reverse from the endpoint as congestion increases. The second ripple effect is setting this expectation for those guests and others in the area. Should we not expect this party to continue asking for procedure exception? Now they know it’s possible, pushing back works, and they have previous experience to question the next CMs‘ decisions. Each time more guests get normalized to this possibility.

Where should the CMs stop? There’s dozens other circumstances where CMs guide guests with the goal of protecting guest experience for all. I don’t think it’s as easy as letting the squeaky wheel get the oil to minimize disruption. That would be contagious in WDW where everyone is looking to have the best most happiest time of their lives. Pixie dust is not really something that can work on demand. People accepting regular operating procedures makes the park experience better for everyone.

Smiley/OCD

My Family of 9 just arrived back home from our WDW trip last week. Last Wednesday was our EPCOT day and we got VQ boarding party 71 for GotG. Only 5 of us can ride for various reasons like height and pregnancy, so there was an odd man out and that was my 26 year old son. He happened to get paired with another family of 3 and really had no problem riding with them. The dad of this other family started raising cane to say the least with the cast members, saying he was promised that his group would not be put with anyone else because it was his daughter's birthday and he didn't want anyone else in the ride picture with them. My son wasn't even going to be riding with the daughter who was also in her 20's with her boyfriend. He would be with the dad. The CM's were being very nice and courteous in explaining that there was no one who would have promised that and even brought over a CM who is over them (this all holding up our side of the ride, they keep sending trains on the other side and had to skip our turn twice). My son even offered not to ride with them but the CM's Just asked the man and his family to leave or ride the way it was. They rode with my son. Who knows what happened with the man after the ride.

Here's the kicker though, as soon as we got off the ride, the main CM involved in all this stopped my son, apologized for the entire situation, asked if were we ok, then offered to take us up to the front of the line for another stress free ride. SO, we got on right away for a 2nd ride. My DS was a CM for 2 months with the DCP but was sent home right at the beginning of covid. He loved being a CM for that short time and understands how people can treat CM's. He tried to help the CM's through this situation the best he could, and we had a great conversation with them after the ride too.

I'm not saying that every CM is perfect, but most of the ones I've ever dealt with have been great and gone overboard to make us feel special. So, thank you cast members for making our trips great, and a special thank you to the Guardian's of the Galaxy CM's last Wednesday June 28th at around 1:00pm. Y'all did a great job. I wish I would have got your name to post here but failed on that.
Katiebug’s family outing??? Them, not you, OP lol

Smiley/OCD

It seems like you are missing the point that Disney is a Family theme park where people go to Vacation, people visit to be entertained, relax, and enjoy some time off. This isn’t public transit. We know the parks are packed. We are all Disney fans here and have been visiting for decades.

Its kind of funny to be called KatieBug 2.0 by you, when you are also making multiple posts asking for a better room/ room changes as an act of getting something better that what you were originally assigned.
It seems like you’re missing the point…here’s a ride that just opened a few weeks ago, is using a virtual queue because of the demand…imagine if this same situation occurred at SWGE when that first opened. If it were any other ride that didn’t have the same demand, I think the exception would have been made no questions asked and the other guests wouldn’t have had a problem with it. On a brand new attraction, you could ask, the worst thing would have been no, but to make a scene? A BIG pair…

NelsonRD

It seems like you’re missing the point…here’s a ride that just opened a few weeks ago, is using a virtual queue because of the demand…imagine if this same situation occurred at SWGE when that first opened. If it were any other ride that didn’t have the same demand, I think the exception would have been made no questions asked and the other guests wouldn’t have had a problem with it. On a brand new attraction, you could ask, the worst thing would have been no, but to make a scene? A BIG pair…
I am sorry, I get it. This comes down to picking and choosing battles, and fighting it, made the situation worse. CM's should make the situation better, not escalate them. If I was in line, and not involved, I would be upset that the train was not dispatching. If I was about to board, and a family was trying to be alone, I would gladly give them space, and board seconds later.

The problem is an extension of entitlement, but on the other side. Everybody feels the need to stick to somebody, teach them a lesson, get revenge, be outraged. Society would be better if people didn’t take every situation so seriously, and overreact to such minor differences.

If I was the CM, I would have smiled, and let them be. As far as disrupting the boarding process, CM's constantly communicate how many people per row they can fill. Its not hard to subtract 1.

I don't think the situation required a reaction, especially considering all the rudeness and other obnoxious behavior we encounter during our trips, that is allowed. This one is not worth getting upset over. However, I am not sure how the family acted. Maybe they were told at the entrance it wouldn't be a problem. Maybe they acted like children. I don't know. I am just suggesting on the surface, not dispatching the train for 2 cycles is worse than sending it with 1 empty seat.

correcaminos

I am sorry, I get it. This comes down to picking and choosing battles, and fighting it, made the situation worse. CM's should make the situation better, not escalate them. If I was in line, and not involved, I would be upset that the train was not dispatching. If I was about to board, and a family was trying to be alone, I would gladly give them space, and board seconds later.

The problem is an extension of entitlement, but on the other side. Everybody feels the need to stick to somebody, teach them a lesson, get revenge, be outraged. Society would be better if people didn’t take every situation so seriously, and overreact to such minor differences.

If I was the CM, I would have smiled, and let them be. As far as disrupting the boarding process, CM's constantly communicate how many people per row they can fill. Its not hard to subtract 1.

I don't think the situation required a reaction, especially considering all the rudeness and other obnoxious behavior we encounter during our trips, that is allowed. This one is not worth getting upset over. However, I am not sure how the family acted. Maybe they were told at the entrance it wouldn't be a problem. Maybe they acted like children. I don't know. I am just suggesting on the surface, not dispatching the train for 2 cycles is worse than sending it with 1 empty seat.
Again it isn't just one seat but a reconfiguring for an entire group of 5. It wasn't a solo rider. The rest we can agree to disagree on.

Raxel7851

#1 I wasn’t referring to you as KatieBug 2.0. Stop thinking just because people don’t agree with your thoughts, that you’re being picked on. And thanks for taking the time to explore my past posts. Many people on here offer thoughts and suggestions on how to better their Disney Experience. We’ve all benefited by them. Since you have been going to Disney for decades you should realize that the Disney of yesteryear isn’t the Disney of this year. We’ve all taken criticism on here at times, but we all still appreciate the different opinions here without going nuclear.

Doug Means

Original Poster
I haven’t been on this particular ride yet but usually the CMs have already matched parties with vehicle capacity by the time we get to the boarding area, and often at that point it’s already been decided how the next 2 or 3 sets of guests will work. Like they tell your party to go stand in row 3, there’s already people there for the next available vehicle and a match is already being made for the next guests behind.

Beside upsetting the current flow to accommodate the guests asking for a private ride photo, the CMs would also be setting precedent for this party and those within ear shot. The CMs did the right thing. This is the way stuff runs. Changing the procedure doesn’t really help anyone. That party will have the wrong expectations going forward, along with people within ear shot. A hiccup would undulate through the next boarding guests as CMs reconfigure. Every WDW day 1000 people celebrate Bdays and thousands more celebrating other things.
That is how it was they told my son to go to the row with the man. They stood there waiting on the next train. He really didn’t say anything until it was time to load. He had a lot of time to say something while waiting for the next train.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom