Great Movie Ride to Close?

aladdin2007

Jim Hill indicated a little while ago that Great Movie Ride was on the chopping block as part of the DHS/DHA overhaul, but it would be among the last things to go.

Consider the rest of this pure speculation. I could see it gutted and possibly knocked down in order to make Pixar Place wider, then a Pixar attraction using part of (if not all of) that space.

That show building is huge and too much of good show space real estate to knock it down. Gutted some day wouldnt surprise me but that building isnt going anywhere. I could see the remy ride in there but that wouldnt make too much sense in that location, not that disney cares about sense anymore, only cents.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I hope the theater remains, it is beautiful and I enjoy the nice cool relaxing ride. I however wish the imagineered Villain Ride in the theater would be resurrected. I believe that would have wide appeal.

Herc11

That show building is huge and too much of good show space real estate to knock it down. Gutted some day wouldnt surprise me but that building isnt going anywhere. I could see the remy ride in there but that wouldnt make too much sense in that location, not that disney cares about sense anymore, only cents.

I agree. I even think if they wanted to, they could replace GMR with two smaller dark rides. Then they could have the southern half of the building enter and exit from Pixar Place and go with any multitude of Pixar dark ride concepts.

mm121

if they got rid of GMR, might as well rename the park while there at it, Disney's "we dont know what it is anymore" park.
I'd keep the hat, just shift it from its current (extremely stupid/short sighted) location.
maybe just outside the entrance gate or something, as an icon its cool, just in the wrong place
The GMR is the most Nostalgic thing about DHS and every Disney Park is well served by some bit of Nostalgia. But I fear with everything going on at the soon not to be studios we may loose this bit.
what would stuidos classic ride be if they got rid of GMR? a ride thats actually on theme with the park.

wouldn't mind some updated scenes but the ride itself should stay.

Vegas Disney Fan

if they got rid of GMR, might as well rename the park while there at it, Disney's "we dont know what it is anymore" park.

With properties like Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Pixar, the Muppets, Guardians of the Galaxy and other Marvel based themes to use they could call it Disney's Intellectual property park? The "IP" for short.

sqykkhickinb

This ride needs to go. A lot of space and very outdated.
10o.jpg

Gomer

10o.jpg
The ride is as outdated as a history book. The intent was always to be a whimsical lesson on the history of movies. Just like a history book, it may need to be tweaked and a chapter added, but that doesn't change the history that occurred before. If we want to say scenes like Tarzan and Casablanca are outdated now, then they were also outdated when it was built. But the ride wasn't intended to focus on current or popular movies, but on the landmark genres and films that have formed the Hollywood of today.

I don't think that has changed. The thing that has seemingly changed is people's desire to see the sort of ride that was designed. It seems people would rather see a "Clip show" of popular movies rather than having it focus on the history of the industry as a whole.

PhilharMagician

10o.jpg

I know that is your opinion, but the ride is meant to be a look into the history of classic movies. When the ride opened it was dated. The final movie and narration has changed multiple times over the years.

The Great Movie Ride with it's Grumman Chinese Theater Façade (prior to the addition of the horrible hat) was the WOW factor after passing through the turnstiles. People used to flock to the GMR and actually look down at the Hollywood walk of fame which now many people do not know exist.

There are many more rides and shows throughout all of WDW that need to go far before GMR goes.

Goofyernmost

True statement. Most people do not understand the reason for the Movie Ride and think it should be current. It was meant to show the movies from the Golden Age of Hollywood and was only showing "dated" movies from the day it opened. Now it could use some TLC, especially with the AA's, but, it never should change, it is history... you don't change history.

Reminds me of the time that my young girls were watching television and an old "black and white" program came on. It was the first time that they saw that. They must have spend 10 minutes turning color knobs before coming to me to tell me that something was wrong with the TV. They had never been exposed to B&W television and had no idea there was such a thing.

Disneykidder

I like GMR. It was the very first ride I went on when I first went to DHS in 1993. The ride is fun and is truly old Hollywood. It definitely needs updating. The Soujourney Weaver body/face is atrocious. Maybe add in a current movie or two and it would be back in business. (NOT FROZEN!!!!)

With that said, if they really did railroad this attraction, what would really be left to showcase "the movies." There's ToT which I don't think will ever go (and shouldn't because it is awesome), Indiana Jones which is also rumored to go but not much else. Isn't that the intention of the park? But when Star Wars Land comes to fruition it will add to the movie theme. The expansion of Toy Story is kind of cool but I'd love to see something else there like maybe an Incredibles attraction or Cars attraction since there are no plans yet for a Cars Land.

I'm just thinking aloud. :D

216bruce

Maybe change out a couple of scenes that aren't very well executed- I'm talking to you Tarzan and Busby Berkely, make Fantasia more than fans blowing on you and put in a real horror scene. DO NOT touch "Oz", Cagney, Westerns, Casablanca, Mary Poppins, Raiders or the rest.
If you try to keep it "current", it'll be outdated before it re-opens.

yensid67

I agree that the GMR tell the story of the Hollywood of yesteryear, the golden age that made Hollywood what is is/isn't today. I feel if they redone the front of the park into what they did at DCA with taking it back to Hollywood of 1920's, then the GMR UPDATED would be a smashing hit! It's like a museum of where the movie making industry started and was much simpler...no computer or graphic enhance movies like there are today! Everything was REAL! Yes, the old films look kinda cheesy compare to a computer generated movie of today, but that's where we came from. Its like each of us looking back at out geneology...its the FAMILY TREE OF MOVIE MAKING!

ctxak98

The ride is as outdated as a history book. The intent was always to be a whimsical lesson on the history of movies. Just like a history book, it may need to be tweaked and a chapter added, but that doesn't change the history that occurred before. If we want to say scenes like Tarzan and Casablanca are outdated now, then they were also outdated when it was built. But the ride wasn't intended to focus on current or popular movies, but on the landmark genres and films that have formed the Hollywood of today.

I don't think that has changed. The thing that has seemingly changed is people's desire to see the sort of ride that was designed. It seems people would rather see a "Clip show" of popular movies rather than having it focus on the history of the industry as a whole.
Thank you so muh for wording this the way I tried so many times to do! I have always said the ride was more a tribute to the classics that started it all! I took a film history class and I for one can say how important busby burkleys musicals were to the movie musicals after, but not many people know that so they see it as a waste of space, and should be replaced with something like Chicago.

How I do love the ride, yes I agree an update would be nice in terms of the AA figures, reprint of show sets, and audio and lighting fixes. Every scene in my eyes is very important, so I wish not to lose any.

If Disney decides to get rid of this ride it would truly be heartbreaking to classic movie fan as myself. In no other ride can you go from the rooftops of Mary Poppins, to the old west. Through the Nostromo to encounter the alien that scared million. And down the yellow brick road to meet the wicked witch. It's really genius and will be a huge loss IMO. Especially if it's replaced by another Disney based ride.

DABIGCHEEZ

Maybe change out a couple of scenes that aren't very well executed- I'm talking to you Tarzan and Busby Berkely, make Fantasia more than fans blowing on you and put in a real horror scene. DO NOT touch "Oz", Cagney, Westerns, Casablanca, Mary Poppins, Raiders or the rest.
If you try to keep it "current", it'll be outdated before it re-opens.

I agree... a few scene changes it all it really needs. I will repeat DO NOT touch Wizard of Oz and by no means add any thing Frozen(just doesn't belong). Another thing...I think the whole driver/gangster little act needs to stop also.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom