Grand Floridian Spa closing

mrerk

Premium Member
The preliminary information we are currently receiving is that Disney will be arranging transportation from the monorail resorts to SSR. I have not experienced it myself, but I have had several clients and friends tell me that the SSR spas is the best on property. If you are going to move your reservations, I would move them there. Absolute worst case scenario is that you will need to take a cab. If you want to plus it a bit skip the cab and the Disney transportation and go with a limo. Limo's is the Disney area are plentiful and relatively affordable.

Maybe they will do like they do with the golfers and give taxi vouchers.

llrain

The beach club has been undergoing a rehab, not the same but still its construction. If they construction is anything like you see at the beach club today. Head for the hills,,,it will be ugly...
In the history of WDW resorts construction I have experienced, there is nothing comapred to what is going on at the beach club right now.
Cranes are being left everywhere, they are leaving rooms occupied in whatever section they are working on since they literally working ON peoples balconies....
So if the GF planning is the same construction planning as the beach clubs....its gonna be grossly noticable

We're staying at the GF Sept 2012 :( Any preditions of the mess I will be staying in? We've booked Lagoon view, I was hoping for 'Boca Chica'. Will we be overlooking a construction site? How far in advance can we transfer? Will it cost us?

durangojim

I wouldn't expect it too soon. DVC won't announce new projects if they will negatively affect current sales. BLT is rumored to sell out soon, which could prompt an announcement. The GF is probably 1-2 years from becoming a reality, so there are limits to what Disney could sell there anyway.

DVC has done a very nice job of always having a new project on the back burner to ensure there is always something to sell. It's especially impressive in the past few years given the economy.

When we stayed at the poly 7/21-25 we used the gym at the GF every day. I spoke to one of the construction workers who was making the new path (which practically goes right under the monorail :( but he said the building would be 7 stories tall (I find that hard to believe) and that it would be completed in 14 months (plausible). Anyone know where the guests from the GF and Poly will be able to work out? We're going back to the Poly at the end of October and need to be able to use a gym. Hopefully the Contemporary?

desertrat

The construction is scheduled to take 18 months. The fitness center will remain open during this time.

How do you know the fitness center will remain open? The spa and fitness center are in one very small building. Why would they close the spa if the fitness center is open. In addition the bathrooms and lockers are in spa so why would they just close half the building. I would assume they are closing the spa because of the construction and it would be unsafe for people to access the building. The same would go for the gym. What other reason would they have for closing the spa? It says nothing in the article about the gym. One would assume it would be closing also because its in the same building.

CaptainShortty

How do you know the fitness center will remain open? The spa and fitness center are in one very small building. Why would they close the spa if the fitness center is open. In addition the bathrooms and lockers are in spa so why would they just close half the building. I would assume they are closing the spa because of the construction and it would be unsafe for people to access the building. The same would go for the gym. What other reason would they have for closing the spa? It says nothing in the article about the gym. One would assume it would be closing also because its in the same building.

I read the CM advisory of the closure. From reading that it seems like the fitness center is going to remain open. I have never been to the spa so I've never seen the building so it's hard for me to say. Just from what I read that's what is seems. Maybe it will only close during certain times and will remain open the rest of the time? I'm not 100% sure. Just going off of what I read in the advisory notice.

desertrat

I read the CM advisory of the closure. From reading that it seems like the fitness center is going to remain open. I have never been to the spa so I've never seen the building so it's hard for me to say. Just from what I read that's what is seems. Maybe it will only close during certain times and will remain open the rest of the time? I'm not 100% sure. Just going off of what I read in the advisory notice.

You have to go throuth the spa entrance to get to the gym. The gym takes up about 1/3 of the spa building. Thats why I have my doubts about the spa closing and the gym being left open.

Kamikaze

You have to go throuth the spa entrance to get to the gym. The gym takes up about 1/3 of the spa building. Thats why I have my doubts about the spa closing and the gym being left open.

It could be that they are going to expand the gym and move the spa elsewhere.

CaptainShortty

Yeah, unfortunately I'm not sure. Just relaying the info. I read in the CM advisory announcement. :shrug:

desertrat

Yeah, unfortunately I'm not sure. Just relaying the info. I read in the CM advisory announcement. :shrug:

I guess will find out in a few months. We have decided on the BCV for April anyway. I'm looking forward to trying something new. Not to mention the washer/dryer in the room. Will be at the BWI in October hopefully we like the epcot area as much as we have enjoyed the polynesian. If it turns out the gym stays open then I might revisit my poly/bcv split idea for next year.

Mukta

The beach club has been undergoing a rehab, not the same but still its construction. If they construction is anything like you see at the beach club today. Head for the hills,,,it will be ugly...
In the history of WDW resorts construction I have experienced, there is nothing comapred to what is going on at the beach club right now.
Cranes are being left everywhere, they are leaving rooms occupied in whatever section they are working on since they literally working ON peoples balconies....
So if the GF planning is the same construction planning as the beach clubs....its gonna be grossly noticable

Wait! This is the first I am hearing about this and I arrive at the BC in 30 days! What is going on?

Biff215

Wait! This is the first I am hearing about this and I arrive at the BC in 30 days! What is going on?

General exterior painting that seems to constantly be going on there. We were there in June and it was a minor inconvenience at worst, although we were in the villas far from the cranes. They were right outside people's balconies every day, and some entryways were blocked and diverted elsewhere.

Nothing too crazy, but it can be annoying if your room is close to it or you are spending a lot of your days hanging at the resort.

bayoubelle

amuck, amuck, amuck
General exterior painting that seems to constantly be going on there. We were there in June and it was a minor inconvenience at worst, although we were in the villas far from the cranes. They were right outside people's balconies every day, and some entryways were blocked and diverted elsewhere.

Nothing too crazy, but it can be annoying if your room is close to it or you are spending a lot of your days hanging at the resort.

They were painting during Easter week too.

Scuttle

Great I'm going to the Beach Club in 40 days. I have this to deal with on top of the crane putting lights on the castle. So much for pictures.

yodasmith

Great I'm going to the Beach Club in 40 days. I have this to deal with on top of the crane putting lights on the castle. So much for pictures.

Be careful.....Those are paying jobs we are talking about. Heaven forbid on a Disney news and planning site we talk about how we plan our vacations around unforeseen changes.

I don't want people to misunderstand that statement, but it was total sarcasm. I appreciate the support from people who defended my frustrations from earlier about my dilemma with my proposal. I think venting on a planning site about an important aspect of one's vacation which I have planed and scrimped and saved for years, and how a sudden closure of a big part of that vacation would impact plans that were set in stone for a very important day. .

Thank you to those people.

Ruby Coconut

In other words, your post was entirely off topic.

Not to mention as DonaldDoleWhip and I and other have pointed out, you not only have ZERO evidence that anyone is going to lose their jobs, you seem ignorant to the FACT that hundreds more jobs are being created to construct this facility, and the jobs to keep it running, and once its constructed there will be even more people in need of massages and mud wraps.

So PLEASE, get off your soap box.

While some cast members DID lose their jobs, many still remain. The other Niki Bryan locations... Saratoga Springs Spa, Magnolia Spa at Shades of Green, the fitness centers at Contemporary, Boardwalk, Yacht & Beach, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom, and Coronado as well as the salons (and you will still be able to get nail services at Ivy Trellis at the Grand Floridian) have absorbed many of the great cast members from the Grand Floridian Spa!

I was hoping to use the Spa for the gym on days we won't be visiting a park. Will the Contemporary most likely allow GF guests to use their facility?

You can still use the fitness center at GF!

When we stayed at the poly 7/21-25 we used the gym at the GF every day. I spoke to one of the construction workers who was making the new path (which practically goes right under the monorail :( but he said the building would be 7 stories tall (I find that hard to believe) and that it would be completed in 14 months (plausible). Anyone know where the guests from the GF and Poly will be able to work out? We're going back to the Poly at the end of October and need to be able to use a gym. Hopefully the Contemporary?

The fitness center will remain open :)

There has been a 24 hour access door directly into the fitness center for quite awhile. The facility can be kept open with only fitness center access. I imagine the construction would be quite noisy and not very spa-like at all!

Ruby Coconut

I certainly hope this is not true.

I understand the need for improvements and re-refurbishments, and I've seen the posts with people upset that something will be closed while they are on their trip. But I happen to be in this boat right now.

I've been saving for 2 + years for a trip I've been calling super trip. 8 Days at the Poly with all the bells and whistles I could muster up. I plan on proposing to my girlfriend on the first of October with her parents and my parents flying down as a surprise. and I booked a spa treatment for all the ladies which cost a pretty penny and I have all my plans based around this. I don't want to re-plan out my entire proposal that I have been trying to make perfect for a year.

There is a beautiful spa right at Shades of Green resort that you could change your appointments to. It's an easy walk from the Poly and they will have the same service offerings as the GF. It is also a Niki Bryan Spa.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom