Grand Floridian Spa closing

mickeyfan1962

Grand Floridian closing

That number sounds high, but in any case, credit where it is due, WDW is actually very good at reassigning full-time CMs when the venue they work at closes. I imagine most if not all full-time spa CMs will have a job somewhere on property.
Disney might be good at reassigning full time CM's but the staff at the spa's and health clubs do not work for Disney, they work for Niki Bryan salon and are contracted by Disney to run the spas (GF and Saratoga) and health clubs (the other hotels).

PirateFrank

Yes Disney is great at reassigning full time CM's, however, the Spa is not owned by Disney.

A huge thanks to the people that are reading this and actually understand what I am trying to say. I'm not trying to "ruin" someone's proposal just trying to make him understand that while this is an inconvenience and his plans may have to change many people are about to lose their job. Let's try to make this world a little less selfish....

The flimsy soapbox you're standing on isn't a pulpit....Let's try and keep this on topic....

Did Knee

Please don't take this personally Did Knee, but your post just knocked me off my chair with laughter. You've just drawn some major conclusions about a stranger's personality based on a vomiting emoticon. Maybe you should cut back on caffeine a little?

Perhaps you are right. I guess his vomit emoticon could be taken another way, and you can see this less offensive, more charitable way that it could be taken. Please enlighten me, what that view might be. I really would like to think better of this poster, as I truly don't want to think badly of anyone. :wave:

I-4Warrior

I'm sorry, but I just don't think that there is enough basis to start branding people as selfish because they are frustrated and looking for guidance for what is, to them, maybe not to you, a very important trip. This guy isn't closing down the GF Spa... Take out those frustrations about job loss on Disney management, not the guest who's got to adjust his plans. I hate when anybody loses their job, especially in this crap economy, but why should anyone else's job be his primary concern? Certainly doesn't appear to be a concern of Disney's.

MissMorrow

I'm sorry, but I just don't think that there is enough basis to start branding people as selfish because they are frustrated and looking for guidance for what is, to them, maybe not to you, a very important trip. This guy isn't closing down the GF Spa... Take out those frustrations about job loss on Disney management, not the guest who's got to adjust his plans. I hate when anybody loses their job, especially in this crap economy, but why should anyone else's job be his primary concern? Certainly doesn't appear to be a concern of Disney's.

Exactly.

Does anyone know when is the official DVC announcement is expected? I assume soon.

prncsintrng

The flimsy soapbox you're standing on isn't a pulpit....Let's try and keep this on topic....

Keep this on topic - why don't you come and stand on my flimsy soapbox with me. Then we will see who can actually keep this on topic.

My post was just to try to shed some light on something bigger than the poster was making it to be. In this economy we certainly don't need any more people out of work. An inconvenience in plans over a month away can easily be fixed with a simple phone call.

DonaldDoleWhip

Keep this on topic - why don't you come and stand on my flimsy soapbox with me. Then we will see who can actually keep this on topic.

My post was just to try to shed some light on something bigger than the poster was making it to be. In this economy we certainly don't need any more people out of work. An inconvenience in plans over a month away can easily be fixed with a simple phone call.
And people are being put into work because of the imminent construction of a giant new building. You have to see it both ways. As far as that poster is concerned, he now has to worry about one of the most important days of his life, which IMO should be a more pressing issue to him than the fact that people will be out of work (and other people brought into work) as a result of this. Yes, it's sad, but he can't personally go and hire them. He would use their employment if he could, but his proposal plans are now messed up.

Just let people be concerned with their own personal lives. We all are aware of the economic state, but we can't control individual cases such as this. We just have to do our best to get by in our own lives, which he is trying to do. There are also lots of brides who are upset that their wedding plans are completely screwed by this construction. Everything they had envisioned is changing. The windows in the wedding pavilion have been covered with stained glass, there won't be the traditional carriage route and photos on the GF beach, and there could be loud noises coming from the enormous construction zone next door. By your logic, should these couples take consolation in the fact that a construction worker must be happy to have employment? That's just silly. There are other times to be sympathetic and aware, but let people be extra concerned about their special days that only come once in a lifetime.

orky8

In other words, your post was entirely off topic.

Not to mention as DonaldDoleWhip and I and other have pointed out, you not only have ZERO evidence that anyone is going to lose their jobs, you seem ignorant to the FACT that hundreds more jobs are being created to construct this facility, and the jobs to keep it running, and once its constructed there will be even more people in need of massages and mud wraps.

So PLEASE, get off your soap box.

NewfieFan

By this standard alone we should shut down this whole forum. Why in the world would we waste our time discussing WDW when there are children dying in Africia!?! Are we being selfish b/c we spend our money on vacations instead of supporting a charity that needs it!?! There is always something bigger. When I complain of a headache there is someone in hospital dying of cancer, etc. :shrug:

You were the original poster that went off topic. And the poster that has now lost his reservation at that spa had a valid point and concern relating to this topic... and should never have been made to feel that his concern was not important. And how do you know his plans can be fixed with a simple phone call... he wanted the GF spa for a reason!?!

Biff215

Exactly.

Does anyone know when is the official DVC announcement is expected? I assume soon.

I wouldn't expect it too soon. DVC won't announce new projects if they will negatively affect current sales. BLT is rumored to sell out soon, which could prompt an announcement. The GF is probably 1-2 years from becoming a reality, so there are limits to what Disney could sell there anyway.

DVC has done a very nice job of always having a new project on the back burner to ensure there is always something to sell. It's especially impressive in the past few years given the economy.

orky8

Exactly.

The official announcement may be a while, but earlier this week I received an offer for a $25 gift card if I called DVC for them to tell me about their product. Not one to turn down free money for just making a phone call, I did so and talked to one of their sales persons. Once he realized I was quite knowledgeable about WDW and DVC he really didn't try to sell me anything, but he asked if/when I planned on purchasing. I told him BLT almost made me jump in, but I want to pay cash and can't spare that much right now. I also commented that I noticed it appears the GF is next, and it was very clear, though implicitly, from our conversation that GF was happening. I also joked that when they manage to find a way to squeeze one it at Poly they could have my money, as it seems they are working their way around the lake. (ETA - he laughed about not having the space for Poly).

So, just a little bit more confirmation of what we all already know - DVC is coming to GF.

actioncookbook

Thanks for keeping soap box makers like myself gainfully employed! If it wasn't for kind folks like you sharing their answers to questions no one ever asked, I would be done! :sohappy:

maxime29

Premium Member
I was hoping to use the Spa for the gym on days we won't be visiting a park. Will the Contemporary most likely allow GF guests to use their facility?

EpcoTim

Thanks for keeping soap box makers like myself gainfully employed! If it wasn't for kind folks like you sharing their answers to questions no one ever asked, I would be done! :sohappy:

Ven aquí que burro grande, te quiero, quiero besar tus pies para que me haga pis en los pantalones.

mrerk

Premium Member
We're staying at the GF Sept 2012 :( Any preditions of the mess I will be staying in? We've booked Lagoon view, I was hoping for 'Boca Chica'. Will we be overlooking a construction site? How far in advance can we transfer? Will it cost us?

Boca Chica faces the Contemporary on one side and the Courtyard Pool on the other, so you should be OK. The only buildings that should even be able to see the construction would be one side of the main building and one side of Big Pine Key.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom