Grand Floridian Resort introduces private water taxi service

21stamps

It only runs until 6PM making it pretty useless for dinner ADRs at any of the deluxe resorts. I guess you can use it for breakfast or lunch ADRs but is that really going to be something used a lot?

I never said it was a bad idea, I think the implementation is going to be such that unless they have a fleet of boats, it will turn away more people than it can handle.

Here is a photo I took during our Poly stay last year. This is the line for the launch. Sometime around 8am. It was Labor Day and we chose to skip the parks that day, I didn't see the monorail lines so don't know if they were long. If we had a breakfast reservation at CR instead of Ohana a private ride would have been perfect on a day like that. I think it's less about being "hoity toity" and more about Disney realizing that there are people who will pay to cut stress out of their vacation.lol
image.jpeg

Last edited:

SorcererMC

20 bucks and I don't have to sit with the rabble? Count me in.

I can see myself wearing a smoking jacket, captains hat, family crest pin on a lapel and the finishing touch would be a velvet cape as I travel across the Seven Seas Lagoon.

Jimmy Thick- If you're staying at the GF and can't afford a 20 water taxi, you probably should not be staying there.
No spyglass? I'm out.

wdwfan22

I loved this idea until I saw the hours 8 am to 6 pm. I would love to use it for dinner reservations when traveling from the Grand Floridian to Contemporary but with closing at 6pm it won't really help.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Technically they always used to. Your park ticket included a minimal fee that went to WDW Transportation way back in the day.
I figured that. This is a different animal though. Disney is operating a taxi service. I can't ever remember them doing this.

21stamps

Agreed, but that's what my magical room rate is supposed to get me.
ha ha. I wish. Stress is included with no additional charge in a Disney vacation..and lots of it.

I could be wrong, but I think when my family stayed at Poly when I was young.. you had to show your key to be able to use the transportation as well. I know my mom has talked about that, not sure if it was on trips before kids or not.

raymusiccity

It's about time Disney started having more exclusive programs for Muffy and I. Now, if we could only get an exclusive club in WDW as well. I don't have these New World Order issues in DL.

On a serious note, it would be so much better if they would just finish the walking path between GF and MK.

I don't expect Muffy opting to walk, in favor of being seen alighting from her 3 minute, $10.00 pontoon ride......How droll !

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
At first blush the GF already has a great transportation system in place if Disney funded its existing infrastructure for transportation. 2nd stop on a monorail should not be a burden for a GF guest to reach the Contemporary for dinner.

The need for $40 round trip for an across the pond and back for one of their most exclusive resorts only because the Resort cannot get their act together and provide reliable transportation for a luxury resort is absurd. The business model of transportation is a broken process so we will pass off our failings onto the consumer if they desire reliable transportation-it is just a poor solution given the venue.

21stamps

At first blush the GF already has a great transportation system in place if Disney funded its existing infrastructure for transportation. 2nd stop on a monorail should not be a burden for a GF guest to reach the Contemporary for dinner.

The need for $40 round trip for an across the pond and back for one of their most exclusive resorts only because the Resort cannot get their act together and provide reliable transportation for a luxury resort is absurd. The business model of transportation is a broken process so we will pass off our failings onto the consumer if they desire reliable transportation-it is just a poor solution given the venue.
But not for WL and FW. Those can not be reached directly from GF. Also if you can't afford to stay in RPC, like me, then there's a good chance that you are closer to the marina than the monorail.
I showed a photo of what Poly crowds can be like, other times they aren't bad at all. We used the monorail for MK only 1 time on our last stay 1 way, the rest of the time we used the launch.
I think it's a pretty ride.

If you look at it from a purely convenience standpoint then it's a way to already know what time you have to leave your room to get to your destination.

I don't think many people will use it for a round trip ride..unless a large party, then it would make a lot of sense.

I'm sure there's a lot of people like me who stay at the MK monorail resorts for convenience, this just adds one more option.

I booked a dessert party purely so I don't have to stake out a spot and sit and wait before a show..I think Disney management knows there are people who do this. Offering a very reasonably priced water taxi, to further help one get thru their vacation with ease, just doesn't seem like a bad thing.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
But not for WL and FW. Those can not be reached directly from GF. Also if you can't afford to stay in RPC, like me, then there's a good chance that you are closer to the marina than the monorail.
I showed a photo of what Poly crowds can be like, other times they aren't bad at all. We used the monorail for MK only 1 time on our last stay 1 way, the rest of the time we used the launch.
I think it's a pretty ride.

If you look at it from a purely convenience standpoint then it's a way to already know what time you have to leave your room to get to your destination.

I don't think many people will use it for a round trip ride..unless a large party, then it would make a lot of sense.

I do not believe properly maintained and operational transportation is about what individual guests can or cannot afford to pay beyond a bragging point for some on social media. The monorail has been unreliable for an unreasonable amount of time. We used Uber many times on our last trip. In about 5 minutes we had a driver and for between $5-$7 were deposited at our destination. The Uber picked us up where we stood or very near upon ordering no advanced reservations required. Already superior to anything Disney offers. Still we did Uber because Disney could not provide transportation in a reasonable timeframe though they once did. Disappointing.

I highly doubt that Disney will be able to provide their new private boat service any more reliably than they have any other type of transportation as of late. Given Disney's indifference to quality transportation service, Pay to Ride Boats will likely be just as unreliable as the balance of their transportation, Disney doesn't have a history of any dedication to quality in this area any longer. The only difference is the guest will be paying additionally for poor service. Nothing in their transportation business model screams excellence.

TP2000

So people complain that the deluxe resorts at WDW are no different than the average Hampton Inn, just way more expensive, so when the supposed flagship resort of WDW offers a new service, which is not available at the average Hampton Inn, people pan that as well. The wheels on the bus go round and round....

I'm one of the people who have compared the CM service standards at Deluxe properties to corporate chain hotels on this forum, although I've generally used the phrase "Airport Sheraton on a good day" when describing it. :D

That said, this is exactly the type of offering the Deluxe's should be offering. I'm thrilled, and would likely use it at least once or twice if I was at the GF. 20 bucks? No problem if you are already spending that kind of moolah for a Grand Floridian room. Where Disney could botch this is by having a boat driver who is bored, lazy, shirt wrinkled, doesn't know how to be a gracious host, starts making up stories about the secret fifth theme park being built over there, and/or is clueless on the finer points of hospitality and service. In short, a basic theme park ride operator in a captain's hat.

Just last night I went to a birthday dinner at the Edge Steakhouse at the Ritz-Carlton in Rancho Mirage, California. The service from every single Ritz employee we interacted with was lightyears beyond anything I've exeprienced in the last decade at Deluxe properties at WDW or Disneyland Resort (lookin' at you, clueless CM's at the Grand Californian!). The Ritz employees were all beautifully groomed, turned out and uniformed. All of them from doormen to bartenders to hostesses to suited managers went out of their way to make eye contact, say good evening, stop what they were doing to hold open a door, look up from their task to smile and say hello, even thinking five minutes ahead of myself to discreetly ask me if a chauffered golf cart across the grounds to the restaurant might be more convenient for the elderly lady in our party. Later on the restaurant Maitre d' delivered a birthday wish to her in her native Swedish, which made her tear up. The entire Ritz visit was flawless and silky smooth gracious and impressive. And the property was gorgeously maintained and elegantly scented. Yes, scented. I haven't seen that kind of service from a Disney Deluxe property in many years.

A quick look on Expedia for a basic balcony room for two nights next week;

Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage, California = $599 per night
Grand Floridian, Walt Disney World = $701

Fascinating how that works. TDO is laughing at me all the way to the bank.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom