Grand Avenue and Baseline Tap House

RSoxNo1

It will be interesting to see whether Commissary Lane, Grand Avenue and Muppets Courtyard all wind up as part of the same "land" again.

Epcot82Guy

Interesting that the Walt Disney Concert Hall in LA is on Grand Avenue...

Though, it seems a bit strange in that Grand isn't really related to Hollywood at all. At first I was thinking we'd see streets of Hollywood taking us places ("You never know what kind of Adventure you'll have wandering the streets of Hollywood...") But, a bit of a geographic stretch there. Especially when Muppets is more generally thought to center in New York.

And, I should say, I like the idea of the restaurant. Pure theme question only!

pax_65

Looking at California beers, beers from Stone and Sierra Nevada would be welcome sights since they're not owned by one of the mega-breweries. Lagunitas is now owned by Heineken... Golden Road by AB/InBev.

Smaller breweries like Green Flash, Knee Deep, and Russian River would be awesome but I'm not holding my breath. We'll see...

BD-Anaheim

So
Interesting that the Walt Disney Concert Hall in LA is on Grand Avenue...

Though, it seems a bit strange in that Grand isn't really related to Hollywood at all. At first I was thinking we'd see streets of Hollywood taking us places ("You never know what kind of Adventure you'll have wandering the streets of Hollywood...") But, a bit of a geographic stretch there. Especially when Muppets is more generally thought to center in New York.

And, I should say, I like the idea of the restaurant. Pure theme question only!

This isn't much of a stretch at all, in my opinion. DTLA regularly stands in for NYC on movie sets. It is now clear that the overall aesthetic of the park is shifting from "Hollywood" to "LA". The Art Deco themed tunnel is also congruent to this theme as many of these tunnels exist outside of Hollywood (such as in the Malibu canyon).

This has me thinking that "Hollywood" will be dropped from the name of the park.

Epcot82Guy

So

This isn't much of a stretch at all, in my opinion. DTLA regularly stands in for NYC on movie sets. It is now clear that the overall aesthetic of the park is shifting from "Hollywood" to "LA". The Art Deco themed tunnel is also congruent to this theme as many of these tunnels exist outside of Hollywood (such as in the Malibu canyon).

This has me thinking that "Hollywood" will be dropped from the name of the park.

While I agree, that seems like a big departure for Walt Disney World's demographic. Even in Anaheim, where you have a very high percentage of local/fairly local visitors, the general California theme has required expansion. Hollywood has a theme and vision in many parts of the globe. While LA does, it is very different and, honestly, not very "Disney". I would venture to say that if most people outside of the western half of the US think of LA, it's either Hollywood or something more akin to beaches, sprawl and (unfortunately) plasticity and dirty streets. I guess I just don't see Disney's Los Angeles Adventure or Disney's California Adventure - each featuring Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land - flying as a viable overarching theme with broad international appeal.

roj2323

Well it seems my comment has stirred some controversy but hear me out.

Currently Alcohol is sold in at least 13 locations and when Starwars land opens there's sure to be at least another 3. Meanwhile there is a distinct lack of locations to buy light (healthy) snacks partially due to writers stop closure but also because of starring rolls cafe's closure. What we are left with is burgers, fries, chicken nuggets and "big meals" with a strong emphasis on outdoor seating.

Last edited:

BD-Anaheim

^I agree - and I'm not necessarily stating that the theme of the park is shifting to LA, rather the aesthetic has expanded outside of Hollywood.
Most people outside LA have likely never stepped foot on Grand Ave -- there are much more famous streets they could have chosen.

jakeman

Well it seems my comment has stirred some controversy but hear me out.

Currently Alcohol is sold in at least 13 locations and when Starwars land opens there's sure to be at least another 3. Meanwhile there is a distinct lack of locations to buy light snacks partially due to writers stop closure but also because of starring rolls cafe's closure. What we are left with is burgers, fries, chicken nuggets and "big meals" with a strong emphasis on outdoor seating.
Based on this page:

http://www.wdwmagic.com/dining-filtered/all-types/operating/disneys-hollywood-studios.htm

There are 18 places with the word "snack" in their description.

Yeah they're all outside but so is a majority of the quick serve. That's a park issue, not a snack issue.

roj2323

Based on this page:

http://www.wdwmagic.com/dining-filtered/all-types/operating/disneys-hollywood-studios.htm

There are 18 places with the word "snack" in their description. Other than the indoor seating complaint which is valid for every level of dining at DHS beyond table service, I'm not seeing an issue.

I worked there for 2 years, I know what's there. Disney calls Hotdogs, popcorn and a bunch of other junk, snacks. I'm talking about healthy options and turkey sandwiches.

Troll elsewhere.

jakeman

I worked there for 2 years, I know what's there. Disney calls Hotdogs, popcorn and a bunch of other junk, snacks. I'm talking about healthy options and turkey sandwiches.

Troll elsewhere.
How is pointing to a page that clearly list locations as SNACKS trolling?

Furthermore...when did a full on turkey sandwich become a snack?

"Healthy options" and "snacks" aren't the same thing and how in the world were we supposed to divine that out of your original and subsequent post:
Well this is entirely disappointing. Yet another family friendly snack and drink location is turned into a bar. Don't we have enough bars in Studios already?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom