Grand Avenue and Baseline Tap House

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Is this still the menu at Anaheim Produce? If so...good enough. :D

new-menu-anaheim-produce-hollywood-studios-walt-disney-world.jpg

roj2323

Those facades were never designed to have stuff in them. you can see how close together the steel beans are and there are cross braces between them, so it would be hard to put anything significant in them without making structural changes. There is space between them and the building but I think there are backstage things there.

View attachment 218480
The spacing on the part that will exists was pretty large. 12-16ft between vertical supports if I recall. It wouldn't take a whole heck of a lot of re engineering to put a store or other item in there. If nothing else the entire end where writers stop was is open and the new facade they built to fill the theming gap between writers stop and the Coca-cola corner drugstore could just as easily be a very deep building presumably used as a bar in this case.

Epcot82Guy

There is a history to Grand Avenue that might bridge a gap from Hollywood to Downtown Los Angeles. It is part of the old Bunker Hill area and someone from southern California would know more. Not sure if any street cars ran nearby?
Here are some 1950s photos...

4653171282_5f2d7f67fb_o.jpg

Mystic Manor at DHS CONFIMRED!!!!!! :D:D:D

Seriously, though. The street car is an interesting piece. The park is the only one without any transportation-based system. Could be a nice way to add it in (down Hollywood Blvd., Sunset Blvd. and Grand Avenue). Time will tell, I guess.

And, I stand corrected on the Muppets-LA tie. I think most goes back to Sesame Street and the shows where Muppets mostly appeared - plus the demographic/architcture of Muppets 3D itself. But, I certainly see (and agree with) the tie given more recent changes.

YodaMan

I'm really curious to see the final "wall" that separates Muppets from Grand Avenue. Because even though this blog states that Muppets Courtyard and Grand Avenue will remain separate, all of the changes to Muppet Courtyard make it seem like they're eager and ready to remove any sign of the Muppets IP and turn the whole place into a giant Grand District.

Notes from Neverland

I just hope the Sci Fi building receives an update to blend in with the area.

I'd be in favor of that. While they're at it, they can put together a film reel that lasts longer than the current one. It always seems to loop about 2/3 through the meal. I know they don't want people sitting there all day watching, but making it longer than the meal would be nice.

trampdog

Jeez. That's pretty aggressive. Here in NJ we have a lot of breweries as well. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy a Stone Go to IPA on occasion.

8 Micro breweries in walking distance of your house and you live in a rural area? What do you consider walking distance? lol

Why do you keep coming back to Pliny? It's one of the hardest beers in the country to get. I don't think lack of that level of beer means anything really.

2 Miles is walking distance.

I come back to Pliny because it's the best CA beer, not necessarily the "best" beer. It's not hard to get if you know when and where to find it :). I can usually get a case a month, but dole it out to friends or swap for other "hard to get" stuff like Heady Topper.

If you are going to have a tap house, then fill it with some unusual things too. Otherwise, just call it Busch Gardens :).

trampdog

When Wicked Weed in Asheville sold out a couple of months ago, the response was a bit ugly.

I don't know if their storefront suffered (haven't been out there recently) but you'd think they were closing up their sour production and only making Wicked Weed branded Bud Light by the reaction.

Yeah, but now you have Colorado's Hagas of beer brewed there (Oscar Blues). Most overrated craft brew since New Belgium.

Stone is still independent. At least I think so! It's hard to keep track, with all the frequent purchases.

The concern is that the quality of the beer will decline. The larger brewers are often focused on saving money in order to be more competitive on a larger scale, so they (sometimes) turn to cheaper ingredients to make the financials work better.

For example, personally I think the quality of Goose Island has slipped a bit since they were acquired by InBev. So far I have not noticed any quality drop in Lagunitas.

I wonder how the process works to get your beers placed inside WDW. Surely Sam Adams paid a premium to basically own the American pavilion during Food and Wine in recent years. But then I've seen some smaller breweries including local Orlando brews in the parks, which is great to see.

I'm sure Disney also wants beers that will sell. While I would jump at the chance to try a California IPA I've never had before, many other people would be more comfortable with something more familiar. Like Blue Moon. :cautious:

Quality always declines with increased capacity and outsourced brewing. Anytime AB or Miller/Coors gets a hold of something, it becomes crap. You cannot get the same taste out of large batch brewing.

People only become familiar when its marketed. It will not be marketed if they can't mass produce and distribute. You can argue that for Blue Moon. It is VERY different than what it was before Coors purchased them many "moons" ago.

jakeman

Yeah, but now you have Colorado's Hagas of beer brewed there (Oscar Blues). Most overrated craft brew since New Belgium.
It's just a production facility and their Old Chub variations are pretty good. I love Santa's Old Chub (heh). I'll pass on Dale's and Mama's.

Funny you should mention New Belgium. They just finished their facility in Asheville within the past 18 months or so. I like their Lips of Faith series and Fat Tire was my intro to craft beer a decade or so ago when I traveled for work and you could only get it out west.

I prefer to support smaller local crafts in the area, but I like good beer and I prefer to drink something new, regardless of the brewer. If I had the choice between something I know I like and something that is new that I might hate, I'll almost always pick the new one.

That's just me though.

jakeman

I wonder how the process works to get your beers placed inside WDW. Surely Sam Adams paid a premium to basically own the American pavilion during Food and Wine in recent years. But then I've seen some smaller breweries including local Orlando brews in the parks, which is great to see.
I had a conversation here with someone about that a while back...let me see if I can search for it.

EDIT: Speculation during F&W last year:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...-and-wine-festival.913180/page-4#post-7402198

They seem to be engage at least some of the bigger players in the local community more recent. There was a moment in time where you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting an Orlando I-4 IPA (even in the East African port of Harambe).

FigmentFan3

There is a history to Grand Avenue that might bridge a gap from Hollywood to Downtown Los Angeles. It is part of the old Bunker Hill area and someone from southern California would know more. Not sure if any street cars ran nearby?
Here are some 1950s photos...

9598255607ec1579bf415333701f4368--los-angeles-area-downtown-los-angeles.jpg

4653171282_5f2d7f67fb_o.jpg
Not sure about streetcars, but the Angel's Flight Railway, built in 1901, will soon reopen, transporting passengers from CalPlaza on Bunker Hill down to the Market on Hill Street. Aaaaaand, it was in the Muppet movie during Man or Muppet. Angelsflight.org

NiarrNDisney

This is exciting! I have always been a little jealous of DCA's Bayside Brew's, Mendocino Bar and Sonoma Terrace which are great places to taste some Cali wine and beer but now we are getting one of our own!

Sounds like it will be a much better replacement for High Octane which we lost with Studio's Catering Co.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom