Grand Avenue and Baseline Tap House

sunsetblvd26

I almost have to wonder if this is just the first step toward retheming some of the surrounding areas, like Commissary Lane or the Star Tours/Backlot Express area, which are barely and blandly themed today. It doesn't make much sense to have this tiny Los Angeles-themed area as the connection from those areas to the New York-related Muppets area and the Star Wars area. But if this were the first step toward a larger idea that annexes some of the spaces to the north/west, it might flow better
To be fair I'm pretty sure Muppets Courtyard is supposed to be taking place in downtown LA now.

francism

Writers stop was always sort of focused on getting some wine/cheese and hanging out... not really child friendly... but I question, will your child suffer if they are exposed to a pub? By their nature they don't exactly exclude children and seeing adults drink won't really taint them.

You have a lot of options for kids at this park for food/drink and especially considering its the smallest of the parks.

It was always focused on wine/cheese? Maybe in the last few months of its existence but before that it was a coffee shop. It was just about the only place in DHS that you could get a drink and sit to get some A/C that was open before 11 AM. They got rid of the Writer's Stop, they got rid of Starring Rolls. The only places you can really get anything in the morning outside of a TS reservation is Starbucks or that Joffreys Kiosk near Toy Story Midway Mania.

This park is going to be packed when the new lands open up. Maybe Disney will have some sort of QS option available in Toy Story Land but we haven't, to my knowledge, heard anything about that yet. I would guess that Star Wars Land will be so popular that they will have breakfast offerings in the Cantina similar to how they have breakfast at the Canteen in Pandora at AK. But that's still years away. DHS is still open now and still charging full price for tickets.

It just seems that while there may be a grand vision for the park, it's going to remain fractured and broken for the next ~4 years while they figure this out, and the fact that a pub is getting the fast track for opening is just frustrating. The park has so many needs to be addressed other than more alcohol sales.

jakeman

It was always focused on wine/cheese? Maybe in the last few months of its existence but before that it was a coffee shop. It was just about the only place in DHS that you could get a drink and sit to get some A/C that was open before 11 AM. They got rid of the Writer's Stop, they got rid of Starring Rolls. The only places you can really get anything in the morning outside of a TS reservation is Starbucks or that Joffreys Kiosk near Toy Story Midway Mania.

This park is going to be packed when the new lands open up. Maybe Disney will have some sort of QS option available in Toy Story Land but we haven't, to my knowledge, heard anything about that yet. I would guess that Star Wars Land will be so popular that they will have breakfast offerings in the Cantina similar to how they have breakfast at the Canteen in Pandora at AK. But that's still years away. DHS is still open now and still charging full price for tickets.

It just seems that while there may be a grand vision for the park, it's going to remain fractured and broken for the next ~4 years while they figure this out, and the fact that a pub is getting the fast track for opening is just frustrating. The park has so many needs to be addressed other than more alcohol sales.
It never had enough quality quick serves in a hospitable environment. Whoever thought the open air quick serve boondoggle that is Sunset Blvd was a good idea should be forced to eat a turkey leg for lunch there everyday throughout July and August.

As for breakfast, I hope you like GIANT cupcakes at 9:00 a.m. or Disney Jr. characters because that's been your only option for years.

Dining at DHS has been in the toilet for years, decades even, long before the park started to undergo it's current identity crisis.

This addition, while not ideal for the breakfast crowd, is a net positive for the park as a whole that is in dire need of any option for dining.

Last edited:

FullSailDan

It never had enough quality quick serves in a hospitably environment. Whoever thought the open air quick serve boondoggle that is Sunset Blvd should be forced to eat a turkey leg for lunch there everyday throughout July and August.

As for breakfast, I hope you like GIANT cupcakes at 9:00 a.m. or Disney Jr. characters because that's been your only option for years.

Dining at DHS has been in the toilet for years, decades even, long before the park started to undergo it's current identity crisis.

This addition, while not ideal for the breakfast crowd, is a net positive for the park as a whole that is in dire need of any option for dining.
To be fair, when Pecos Bill served burgers and tendies, MK suffered for quality QS too. (I know.. sacrilege to not love cosmic rays or caseys) All the parks could really take a page out of Sunshine Seasons, the new Pandora canteen, and other options that have "fresher" and not fried options. More than one salad, a grilled chicken option, and some fresh vegetables as sides (not just a bag of carrots) would go a LONG way in the parks. To be fair I'd probably love AK's offerings if only I could handle curry and some of the other spices they use.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Nope. Not yet.

Until every restaurant, bar, and food cart is adult only and children are turned away at the entrance, will our quest be complete.

Drunkytown will prevail! All hail the Drunkytown!
Disney needs more of this.
IMG_3363.JPG

jakeman

To be fair, when Pecos Bill served burgers and tendies, MK suffered for quality QS too. (I know.. sacrilege to not love cosmic rays or caseys) All the parks could really take a page out of Sunshine Seasons, the new Pandora canteen, and other options that have "fresher" and not fried options. More than one salad, a grilled chicken option, and some fresh vegetables as sides (not just a bag of carrots) would go a LONG way in the parks. To be fair I'd probably love AK's offerings if only I could handle curry and some of the other spices they use.
It's a pendulum I've found over the years.

It swings between variety and standard fair. It seems like we are swinging slowly towards variety again (Pecos Bill update, various macaroni dishes, hot dogs...okay maybe not the last one).

They have a pretty good variety in AK and MK, but they do a horrible job of articulating anything but the large QS restaurants to the masses. Epcot stands by itself without question. DHS is a hot garbage fire.

trampdog

Well this is entirely disappointing. Yet another family friendly snack and drink location is turned into a bar. Don't we have enough bars in Studios already?

Gotta keep up with Universal and turn the whole damn park into one giant bar.

Whoa, buddy, I think crappy is some pretty strong language to describe those two breweries.

I'm in Colorado. We have 385 microbreweries. Eight of those are within walking distance (er stumbling distance) of my house (and I live in a pretty rural area). No lack of good beer and I would put 350 of those breweries above stone and langunitas.

21st Amendment (Fireside Chat!)
Sierra Nevada (Otra Vez!)
Anderson Valley (Blood Orange Gose!)
The Bruery
Anchor
AleSmith

Just a small sampling of beers that have at least a bottle presence on the East Coast.

I'd be happy to see any of these represented with a tap handle.

Alesmith is decent. Hess makes some good ones too. Still I'd pay a premium (over the already premium $10 pours at DW) for some Pliny the Elder on tap.

FigmentFan3

I agree. Considering that there's not a whole lot left of Streets of America, I just assumed that the remnants would sort of get annexed into Muppets Courtyard. It doesn't really make sense that a strip of facades with one bar should be a "land" of its own, especially when that "land's" theme is pretty distinct from those surrounding it. I know the park is short on unique lands (and attractions, and...), but this just seems silly

This is almost as bad as DCA's San Francisco area, which is a small row of Main Street-scaled facades with restrooms in one end and a small shop in the other (which has been closed for years). The restrooms and shop were actually late additions (to accommodate World of Color crowds), and the strip of facades was completely vacant for much of the park's early years, excluding occasional use during special events
DCA3-064.jpg

I almost have to wonder if this is just the first step toward retheming some of the surrounding areas, like Commissary Lane or the Star Tours/Backlot Express area, which are barely and blandly themed today. It doesn't make much sense to have this tiny Los Angeles-themed area as the connection from those areas to the New York-related Muppets area and the Star Wars area. But if this were the first step toward a larger idea that annexes some of the spaces to the north/west, it might flow better
What if, they added LA, kept the New York vibe, and added some more here and there, and called it "Streets of America"! :p

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I'm in Colorado. We have 385 microbreweries. Eight of those are within walking distance (er stumbling distance) of my house (and I live in a pretty rural area). No lack of good beer and I would put 350 of those breweries above stone and langunitas.

Jeez. That's pretty aggressive. Here in NJ we have a lot of breweries as well. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy a Stone Go to IPA on occasion.

8 Micro breweries in walking distance of your house and you live in a rural area? What do you consider walking distance? lol

Alesmith is decent. Hess makes some good ones too. Still I'd pay a premium (over the already premium $10 pours at DW) for some Pliny the Elder on tap.

Why do you keep coming back to Pliny? It's one of the hardest beers in the country to get. I don't think lack of that level of beer means anything really.

jt04

Wouldn't be surprised to see Sci-Fi relocated and the building repurposed before they are finished. Phase 6 or 7.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom