Grand Avenue and Baseline Tap House

TP2000

Wow calm down seriously this is not that big of a deal! Its just an area much like Echo Lake is an area that doesn't look like Echo Park Lake or any of the many areas the Mouse has built looking exactly like their namesakes. Why do you have such a personal vendetta against it? It's not a big deal it's a area in a amusement park not thesis on brain surgery!

I'm not upset at all. Once I got over my initial confusion, it's hysterically funny. Sorry if it sounded like I was seething in rage when I was actually chuckling and giggling.

It's going to be a handy little area to get people lined up for Star Wars Land, and also get them a beer or a glass of wine while they wait. Yay!

But it has nothing to do with the "vibrant cultures of present-day downtown Los Angeles". That silly blather was written by puffed up marketing drones at WDI and the Disney Parks Blog, and that's where it gets really funny for anyone who has been to downtown LA lately. :D

Although I can't wait for Orlando's amateur bloggers to descend on this place this fall and post YouTube videos of how "amazing" this little city nook and beer joint is. Then I'll start laughing all over again. I love it!

jt04

I'm not upset at all. Once I got over my initial confusion, it's hysterically funny. Sorry if it sounded like I was seething in rage when I was actually chuckling and giggling.

It's going to be a handy little area to get people lined up for Star Wars Land, and also get them a beer or a glass of wine while they wait. Yay!

But it has nothing to do with the "vibrant cultures of present-day downtown Los Angeles". That silly blather was written by puffed up marketing drones at WDI and the Disney Parks Blog, and that's where it gets really funny for anyone who has been to downtown LA lately. :D

Although I can't wait for Orlando's amateur bloggers to descend on this place this fall and post YouTube videos of how "amazing" this little city nook and beer joint is. Then I'll start laughing all over again. I love it!

I hear y'all are getting a Splitsville. Congratulations, they really are amazingly popular and I'm certain people will love it

BD-Anaheim

This is completely self-righteous. Where do you even live? That attitude is certainly not DTLA (the place I call home). I've been critical of the "Grand Ave" theme because it's confusing in its theming. It's not a representation of the Disney brand.

Your attempt to discredit Orlando bloggers or those otherwise less familiar with LA is about you.

TP2000

This is completely self-righteous. Where do you even live? That attitude is certainly not DTLA (the place I call home). I've been critical of the "Grand Ave" theme because it's confusing in its theming. It's not a representation of the Disney brand.

Your attempt to discredit Orlando bloggers or those otherwise less familiar with LA is about you.

I live very happily in Villa Park, California. I visit downtown LA about three times per year, generally to visit museum exhibits that interest me or attend the Philharmonic (on the real Grand Avenue, funny enough), with a dinner in Silver Lake or somewhere included in the excursion. And most of my Internet posts for the past 22 years have been about me and my thoughts, cause I post them. Me, me, me! :cool:

That section of three generic buildings that make up "Grand Avenue" in DHS is just that; three generic buildings. The WDI summer intern who wrote the copy that they are "inspired by the vibrant cultures of present-day downtown Los Angeles!" could say the same thing about any city in America if they wanted to. Downtown Denver, downtown Seattle, downtown Milwaukee, etc., etc. Nothing of those three faux buildings says anything about Los Angeles, although they did get the streetlamps right. The opposite side of the street, with MuppetVision and a Miss Piggy statue in a planter, is even less related to downtown LA or any alleged vibrant culture there.

As for Orlando bloggers and their upcoming breathless YouTube coverage of this refurbished DHS corner.... I'll just back away slowly from that. :D

Last edited:

Next Big Thing

I live very happily in Villa Park, California. I visit downtown LA about three times per year, generally to visit museum exhibits that interest me or attend the Philharmonic (on the real Grand Avenue, funny enough), with a dinner in Silver Lake or somewhere included in the excursion. And most of my Internet posts for the past 22 years have been about me and my thoughts, cause I post them. Me, me, me! :cool:

That section of three generic buildings that make up "Grand Avenue" in DHS is just that; three generic buildings. The WDI summer intern who wrote the copy that they are "inspired by the vibrant cultures of present-day downtown Los Angeles!" could say the same thing about any city in America if they wanted to. Downtown Denver, downtown Seattle, downtown Milwaukee, etc., etc. Nothing of those three faux buildings says anything about Los Angeles, although they did get the streetlamps right. The opposite side of the street, with MuppetVision and a Miss Piggy statue in a planter, is even less related to downtown LA or any alleged vibrant culture there.

As for Orlando bloggers and their upcoming breathless YouTube coverage of this refurbished DHS corner.... I'll just back away slowly from that. :D
Just about all of MGM was based on fairly obscure little rinkydink buildings in SoCal. Disney has just always taken bits and pieces of architectural design and incorporated it into their version of Hollywood/LA.

http://www.yesterland.com/replicas.html
http://www.yesterland.com/replicas2.html
http://www.yesterland.com/replicas3.html
http://www.yesterland.com/replicas4.html

@BD-Anaheim is right... you are letting your knowledge of the area make you a smug little son of a gun when talking about this topic. This project is harmless.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Did Disney really use the phrase "vibrant cultures of present-day downtown Los Angeles?" Disney really has to stop with the fluff. It's ridiculous sometimes.

Despite the area looking nothing like DTLA, it's still nice-looking.

Movielover

Despite the area looking nothing like DTLA, it's still nice-looking.

You're right there's not nearly enough cars or angry vegans in Disney's version... :rolleyes:

3b15a623ebe8cd6a042f0f21662be4b6--rush-hour-jam.jpg

Californian Elitist

You're right there's not nearly enough cars or angry vegans in Disney's version... :rolleyes:

3b15a623ebe8cd6a042f0f21662be4b6--rush-hour-jam.jpg

Downtown Los Angeles actually is not full of cars. Parking is a hassle and many people walk because of how urban it is. The vegan thing is another misconception. I'd say the majority of eateries in Downtown do not cater to vegans.

Movielover

You cared enough to comment.

I care about people whining about how 3 New York City facades that were built in the 80's in Florida don't look like buildings from the modern day Tums Festival that is Los Angeles. Why? because it minuscule compared to other problems. Couldn't care less about.California.

Herbie

How is Muppet Courtyard tacky? It's a Muppet themed area (a brand known for hilariously tacky antics, if we must) that doesn't rely on the stereotypical 'Muppetland' name. Grand Avenue.... What's so grand about it? What's so Grand Avenue about it? The important structure it houses is a tap house that will probably receive only as much as traction as the Writers Stop. There's nothing to it and the cheap name sounds very 'lipstick on a pig.' I like what they're doing with the area, but it could've easily been utilized to facilitate the Muppets, and even if not, it's still not notable or distinct enough to receive it's own distinct 'land'... Absorb the area into Commissary Lane, if we must (that area is already cheap. We don't need two cheap and thin 'official' areas).

FigmentFan3

How is Muppet Courtyard tacky? It's a Muppet themed area (a brand known for hilariously tacky antics, if we must) that doesn't rely on the stereotypical 'Muppetland' name. Grand Avenue.... What's so grand about it? What's so Grand Avenue about it? The important structure it houses is a tap house that will probably receive only as much as traction as the Writers Stop. There's nothing to it and the cheap name sounds very 'lipstick on a pig.'
The important structures I was referring to are on the real Grand Ave in DTLA. CalPlaza, Walt Disney Concert Hall and US Bank Tower to name a few.
Edit: That being said I LOVE Muppets Courtyard, but if we can't have SoA, I'll take Grand Avenue in a heartbeat. The real Grand Ave has a very movie set feel to it anyways.

Herbie

The important structures I was referring to are on the real Grand Ave in DTLA. CalPlaza, Walt Disney Concert Hall and US Bank Tower to name a few.

The name could fit any plain Jane town in the States, but as a themed area/destination, not so much, in my eye. I don't think Grand Avenue is going to conjure up the same excitement as Adventureland or Sunset Boulevard. Futile, but I wish this area was splashed with Muppet branding. Would've been easy to avoid the issue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom