Got to ride Mission: Space!

aim

Original Poster
Hey guys, I just got back from a week at WDW. And I just thought I would share that I got to ride Mission:Space last Thursday! I really liked it! And think it has to be one of the best rides at WDW! :sohappy: :D

Passport

This was in the Orlando Sentinel today.

Mission:Not to get dizzy
Word is, the EPCOT folks are not expecting a lot of people to get, um, motion sick after riding the cool new Mission:Space ride, which debuts in Aug. 15. People who get sick on roller coasters should tolerate the high-tech motion simulator better, in part because riders are enclosed, so they can't see that they are spinning around in a centrifuge. The spinning is what creates the feeling of g-forces on a liftoff. One tip from insiders: Stay focused straight ahead. Moving your head around, in other words, makes you feel queasier.
end.

I rode it a week ago and even without moving my head, I left sick and won't be riding it again.

Lil'mermaid

Very Very cool... although as awesome as MS sounds I'm pretty sure we will be skiping it even if it is open when we go (26 days an counting!!) I get really sick and I'm not all that in to rides like that... I have never even been on Space Mountan and this will be my 6th time there!

the-reason

Also: did any of you who rode it,feel the weightlessness part
and did the gs make you feel very uncomfortable

Its almost time for my preview:sohappy: :sohappy:

Dr Albert Falls

The G's put pressure on your chest (and maybe your sinuses), but it's the actual spinning that causes some people discomfort (even though you can't SEE that you're spinning, your balancing mechanisms in your inner ear are still being sloshed around!)

As for weightlessness, it's only a simulation. The centrifuge slows, so your once-heavy arms and legs now feel ultra-light. Also, I think they tip the cabin forward just a bit, so your butt scoots out of your seat.

Passport

Originally posted by Dr Albert Falls
The G's put pressure on your chest (and maybe your sinuses), but it's the actual spinning that causes some people discomfort (even though you can't SEE that you're spinning, your balancing mechanisms in your inner ear are still being sloshed around!)

As for weightlessness, it's only a simulation. The centrifuge slows, so your once-heavy arms and legs now feel ultra-light. Also, I think they tip the cabin forward just a bit, so your butt scoots out of your seat.
Plus my arms and legs hurt probably because of what you described. I knew however I wouldn't throw up since the pressure wpuld keep it down. And I am glad there was no panic button because I might have hit it and ruined the ride for 39 other people. I knew I was in no danger, just very uncomfortable. But now that I know what it is like, I won't be riding it again and that will be one less person clogging up the queue.

SnowWhite5669

I totally chickened out! I got up to the door there was a 55 minute wait and I just couldn't go through with it!! I don't do well with rides like that. But the giftshop was cool and they let us go into the "game room" at the end of the ride. God bless those of you who can do it!!:)

nikechic

Hope I don't get sick. I am get sick on the carousel but I am a thrill ride junkie. we will see how I do at the Soft OPENNING....

Countdown to OKW....30 days and counting
Countdown to M:S.....38 days :sohappy:

aim

Original Poster
I loved it! I did however feel a little sick the rest of the night. But that was because we ate like a half hour (or less) before! :lol: I think it's a really neat ride though. And I will be riding it again sometime. I would actually like to look at the queue area though. We pretty much walked right on the ride. less than a 5 minute wait.

CuBlink

I got to ride mission: space last tuesday and I didn't feel sick at all. My mother got a headache however. I thought the ride was pretty cool, and generally pretty tame. You will feel some pressure on your body, but I think its less then most roller coasters. Difference here is that the pressure lasts longer however.

LRV3400

OK guys,

I got to ride it twice in a row yesterday!. The forces that are put on you are more than any other ride before it.

But take note: While the forces you experience may be great it, is a very very gentle ride. There is very little sudden movement. almost every force you experience you are eased into over the course of a few seconds. So there are none of the quick changes in G forces that your would experience on a roller coaster for example. Put your mind at ease, you are not going to be shaken about in this simulator like in body wars or star tours. (Remember this is a realistic space flight and there really isn't anything out in space to make you shake a round a lot.)

As with all disney attractions, including the Hotel where I work, exprience it once then decide to if it is for you. Honestly no amount of words can describe the experience because there is trully NOTHING like it any where else.

Good luck all, and have fun.

skipperg

Got to ride Mission Space on Wed July 2 twice. Very impressive!!!!

The ride may be the best at WDW.

I didn't get sick but did get a very queessy type feeling the second time. Everyone in our family group of 6 got to ride it and some have no desire to go back.

Ryan

M:S Review

Hello all....

Just got to ride M:S on Tuesday. I was very nervous about riding this, because I get motion sickness from nearly everything (including airplane flights, tea cups, body wars, star tours, etc.) But the curiosity of this ride drove me to take the challenge. First off, pictures cannot do this place justice. It is an asthetically amazing place. The imagineers did an awesome job. Walt would be proud.

I got in the line around 8:30PM and had to wait about 50 minutes to ride. Most of my time was spent in the main que area, watching this giant wheel spin. (this actually started to make me sick. That constant turning of the wheel was dizzying -sp?) I think that something was happening with the ride, and they were not loading guests for a while, because once the line started moving, I was on within minutes.

The ride loading itself is set up similar to Back to the Future at Universal. You go into a little "holding room" and listen to an inspirational speech. Then it's on to the ride. Most of you have heard all of this already, so I'll just give you my take. I asked the CM if she gets sick on bodywars, star tours and she said yes. I then asked if she gets sick on this, and she said no. I felt like that was my green light.

The ride simulates space pretty well. You feel the thrusters push you up, left, right, forward. I think the key here is that the visuals are coordinated very well with the feelings of movement. This creates an experience that helps to fight motion sickness. I only felt a bit disorienated once, and that was towards the end of the ride. The rest of the time, it was like I was floating through space. Caution: this ride gives you some major Gs. There is no other amusement park ride on Earth that will give you this amount of Gs. It's pretty intense. More Gs than what you feel at the launch of Rockin Roller Coaster.

Many people wrote and said that you feel weightlessness. This is not true. At one point in the beginning of the ride - right when you get into "space" - Mission control says "you have reached zero G". If they had not said that, I would not have realized that this was the point it was supposed to have happened. I lifted my arm to see if we were weightless, and it fell right back to my leg. Just an illusion from the dramatic changes in Gs.

Throughout the entire ride I was smiling, and gave a thumbs up to the CMs when I walked out of the attraction. But, I don't think it is this "F Ticket" (or EE Ticket) attraction that I heard many people say. I will surely go on it again, but I think after two or three times, I'll be done with this ride. I mean how many times can you spin on a ride, and watch the same story line? Expecially if the wait time gets like Test Track? It's a fun ride, and definately worth the E Ticket rating, but I would rather ride ToT over this anytime.

I have some photos of the experience that you can take a look at:
http://photos.yahoo.com/swingkat75 Just click on Mission Space.

jcraycraft

Hello everyone,

Planning a quick trip to WDW on July 27th-Aug 2nd :sohappy: and was wondering if you guys think they will keep testing M:S right up until the soft opening? Hoping to get to ride M:S !!!! I would move our travel dates back but we have a 15 yr old that needs to be at football practice in August.

So what do you think my chances are on riding the week of July 28th ???

Any tips from any of you who have gotten on ?

Thanks

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom