Got to ride Mission: Space!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Originally posted by grizzlyhall
I believe that at the beginning of its test runs, there was a lot of nausea...however, recently, I've heard that they've been reducing intensity levels.

The word from the people on this one is that the intensity levels have been set in stone now for a long time, and there has been no change in the levels since guest riding. I get the impression that the ride system is far too complex to have a simple "more intense" "less intense" type control system. :)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Oh wow...so that means there isn't any weightlessness??? :confused:

LOL are you replying to me there? :) If so, the weightlessness EFFECT is how it is right now in testing. You get to feel a nice simulated effect on earth of how weightlessness may feel.

General Grizz

LOL are you replying to me there? If so, the weightlessness EFFECT is how it is right now in testing. You get to feel a nice simulated effect on earth of how weightlessness may feel.

Ah ok...gotcha - several people have reported they didn't feel any (as I didn't) - but that makes more sense. However, the launch was quite mystic!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Ah ok...gotcha - several people have reported they didn't feel any (as I didn't) - but that makes more sense. However, the launch was quite mystic!

You certainly are not going to be actually weightless in MS, but you should feel some degree of an effect when you transit from high G on launch to the "floating in space" sensation. :)

CTXRover

For me, to get the weightless feel you need to relax and let the pod do what it does. Its very easy to keep yourself up against the back of the seat with a "little strength" during the zero G part(as I did my first time), but if you relax and don't force anything you will get a neat weightless feeling. Not true weightlessness, but pretty convincing when you just "let it happen".

What I mean is that with the combination of decreasing the incredible G's you first feel and the slight tilting of the pods (I believe that is what's happening, the screen doesn't show you that you're tilting), you will be "pushed" up against the restraints. However, if you move your arms you will know your not really weightless. :)

CTXRover

Originally posted by wdwmagic
The word from the people on this one is that the intensity levels have been set in stone now for a long time, and there has been no change in the levels since guest riding. I get the impression that the ride system is far too complex to have a simple "more intense" "less intense" type control system. :)

Here's a quick question you may or may not know :). Does the number of pods filled effect the sensation of G's one feels?

The reason I'm asking is that when riding in the gold room, pod 2 was always left open for some reason and the G's in that room felt stronger than the ones in the blue room. Both my brother and I felt the same way about that. (Note: Everytime I went in the blue room, all 10 pods were filled.)

AndyMagic

Originally posted by CTXRover
Here's a quick question you may or may not know :). Does the number of pods filled effect the sensation of G's one feels?

The reason I'm asking is that when riding in the gold room, pod 2 was always left open for some reason and the G's in that room felt stronger than the ones in the blue room. Both my brother and I felt the same way about that. (Note: Everytime I went in the blue room, all 10 pods were filled.)
I'm pretty sure that how many pods filled would have no effect on the g-forces as the ride system has a set speed. Less weight doesn't mean the centrifuge would spin faster. However, seeing as how the ride is still in the testing phase, I suppose the change in G-forces could be due to slight alterations being made to only one of the two rooms. Although, people keep saying that the amount of g's have been set for quite some time now so who knows.

Maria

You certainly are not going to be actually weightless in MS, but you should feel some degree of an effect when you transit from high G on launch to the "floating in space" sensation. :)

I agree with Da Boss, if you were really going to be weightless, imagine how many people would be floating around each other in there! :lol: :D
:eek:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Originally posted by CTXRover

I think the slight variation you are feeling is more to do with the rider than the ride system. You know how some days you find ToT to be dropping slightly faster, or RnR to be launching slightly faster or slower. I believe its psycological, or to do with your physical condition that day.

TomDisney

Well, I finally got to ride M:S Sunday afternoon...I think this must have been the best time to go...The first time I waited less than 30 minutes on line. This was around 4:15pm. Went on it a second time around 6pm and waited less than 15 minutes. It definately seems like alot of people around the park do not know this is open yet.

While I really enjoyed the ride, two people with me did not have the same experience....definately looked quite green walking out afterwards. I will say, definately do not look left or right, espeically on the take off sequence....I did that the second time on just to see what it was like, and man, you can definately feel the spin motion then!

General Grizz

From JimHillMedia.Com:

"Space" sickness OR "Mission: Space" scrubbed. Repeatedly. With disinfectant.

As Epcot's newest thrill ride continues its test-and-adjust phase, WDW executives are reportedly growing concerned that this centrifuge-based attraction may really be too rough for many WDW guests. But can anything be done between now and August 15th -- the official opening date of "Mission: Space?"

Maybe this really isn't a story that you should be reading first thing in the morning. Particularly if you're still eating breakfast.

Still, there's some rather intriguing news coming out of Orlando these days. Word that WDW executives are going very concerned that "Mission: Space" -- Epcot's yet-to-be-officially-opened brand-new thrill ride -- may be a bit too rough for many Disney World guests to enjoy riding.

Ever since this Future World attraction first quietly opened its doors to the paying customers back in June of this year, a significant number of guests as well as cast members -- as they stepped out of the simulator capsule -- have reported symptoms ranging from dizziness to headache and nausea. Typically, in most cases, the side effects of riding the attraction would pass in just 5 minutes to under a half an hour.

But -- in some extreme cases -- guests who have ridden "Mission: Space" reported that they were still feeling nauseous and dizzy for days afterward. One Central Florida Disney Annual Passholder is said to have taken to her bed for three days before she was finally able to shake off the ill effects she felt from swirling around inside Epcot's new flight simulator.

WDW Operations staff first became aware of this problem last month during "Mission: Space"'s test-and-adjust phase, when only Disney World cast members were allowed to ride this Future World attraction. At that time, many longtime WDW employees -- including people who worked on WDW thrill rides like the Magic Kingdom's "Space Mountain" and Disney-MGM's "Tower of Terror" -- were said to have stepped out of the "Mission: Space" simulator and gotten immediately (and violently) ill.

What was the problem? The Imagineers seem to think that -- to date -- all of the people who have gotten sick on the ride have made the same mistake. Which was to move their head out of the headrest and/or turned their head to the side as the Future World attraction was spinning. Which (for some reason) induces a strong case of vertigo in these people.

"People who look straight ahead -- even people who close their eyes while they're in the ride -- they're fine," said one Disney cast member who's actually been working on "Mission: Space" during its test-and-adjust phase. "It's those guests who don't follow the safety spiel -- who lift their heads out of the headrest or turn to the side -- who are causing all the problems. They're the ones who have been getting sick."

Which is why -- as guests now enter the pre-show area at "Mission: Space" -- they repeatedly encounter Disney cast members who spiel a warning that goes something like this: "'Mission: Space' is an extremely intense attraction that recreates the experience of space travel. Which is why this ride may not be suitable for all guests. We strongly urge you to read all of the safety precautions before you decide whether or not you actually want to ride the ride."

Unfortunately, given the number of times that WDW guests actually hear this warning while they're waiting in the queue, it eventually becomes just background noise to them. Which is why these people suddenly seem so shocked once they're on board the flight simulator and find themselves exposed to these extreme stresses.

"That was one rough ride, Jim," said one Disney World visitor in a recent e-mail to me. "I'm glad that I got on the thing and that I got to experience the attraction before it officially opened. But I don't think that I'll be riding 'Mission: Space' again anytime soon."

Which brings us to Disney World's next concern: "Mission: Space"'s reride-ability. Even the guests who actually enjoyed this flight-to-Mars simulation during its preview period haven't been all that eager to get back in line to take another spin on the centrifuge.

Said one Disney cast member who rode "Mission: Space" back in June: "Look, once was enough for me, Jim. What with the claustrophobic cabin and the stresses your body is put under as you spin around, it just wasn't a fun time. At least for me. Which is why I doubt that I'll be riding 'Mission: Space' again."

It's the comments like this -- particularly from Disney World cast members and annual passholders -- that are really giving WDW Operations staff some pause. Given that the Walt Disney Company and Hewlett-Packard have poured over $100 million dollars into the development and construction of this Future World attraction, they don't want guests and cast members to be saying things like "Once was enough." In order for "Mission: Space" to become a popular (more importantly, profitable) addition to Epcot's array of attractions, it has to become the sort of ride that guests want to ride over and over and over and over ...

Which -- at this point, anyway -- "Mission: Space" clearly isn't. Which is why WDW Operations staff and the Imagineers are now wondering what they should do to counter all the guest complaints about how rough this ride is. Should they dare to turn down the centrifuge a bit, thereby lessening "Mission: Space"'s incredible effects ... but at least (in theory) that will make the attraction suitable for more guests to ride?

I mean, it's not like there isn't a precedent for doing something this. Some of you may recall -- when the "Wonders of Life" pavilion first opened at Epcot back in October of 1989 -- that the Imagineers were forced to make changes on "Body Wars." Many WDW guests found this simulator ride (particularly during the trapped-inside-the-lung sequence, where the ride cabin kept moving back-and-forth, back-and-forth) to be more than they could realy handle. Which resulted in numerous "protein spills" (I.E. the code word that "WOL" cast members use when they're out on stage, among WDW guests, to discreetly spread the news that some unfortunate has vomited inside of one of the "Body Wars" probe vehicles).

To lessen the nausea that this particular sequence in "Body Wars" was inducing in WDW guests, the Imagineers first tried lessening the back-and-forth motion of the simulator. But that didn't really help; guests were still getting sick. Eventually, the folks at WDI were forced to make some cuts in the Leonard-Nimoy-directed ride film, shortening the amount of time that Disney World visitors had to spend inside the lung. (Even today as you ride "Body Wars," if you watch carefully you'll notice that there's a rather abrupt transition in the lung sequence. As if several seconds has been snipped out of the ride film. Well, it has.)

And -- even as recently as March 2001 (just weeks after Disney's California Adventure theme park had officially opened to the public) -- the Imagineers were forced to shut down that park's "Mullholland Madness" because of guest complaints that that Wild Mouse ride was just too rough. So it's not like Disney hasn't responded to guest complaints like this in the past.

Unfortunately, the real crux of the matter here is that Epcot's "Mission: Space" attraction is driven by a centrifuge. As in: All the ride's effects key off of your body's reactions to being spun around at high rates of speed. If WDI opts to turn down the centrifuge (I.E. lessen the number of revolutions per second that your ride cabin experiences), they then run the risk of turning their $100 million thrill ride into a not-so-very-thrilling thrill ride.

Still -- based on the number of guest and cast member complaints that they've received to date -- something clearly needs to be done about this Epcot addition. For now, Disney seems content to just try and get ahead of the negative buzz that's been building on "Mission: Space." Which is why -- earlier this month -- it invited several Central Florida journalists to come experience this Future World attraction well ahead of its August 15th opening.

But even this carefully selected group of press representatives reportedly had problems with the ride. According to the story in the July 2nd edition of the Orlando Sentinel, "More than a few (reporters) walked away on wobbly knees. 'Four minutes (of spinning in space) was long enough for me,' said one journalist."

Which pretty much puts Disney right back where it started. With a $100 million dollar attraction that many WDW guests and cast members -- after they initially ride "Mission: Space" -- may think is too rough to ride again. Which will hardly translate into the smashing success that the Walt Disney Company believes it need in order to turn Epcot's attendance problems around.

Mind you, not everyone thinks that "Mission: Space" is too rough a ride. The hardcore coaster fans (as well as the WDW guests who actually follow the safety spiel, who keep their heads in the headrest and look straight ahead, never to the side) actually seem to enjoy the attraction. Said one young rider in a recent e-mail to me, "'Mission: Space' is such an awesome recreation of a trip out into space, Jim, that I bet that this ride is actually going to cut into the number of WDW guests who go over to the Kennedy Space Center. I mean, why look at dusty old rockets anymore when you can experience a recreation of the real thing?"

Mind you, this same JHM reader then explained why he had been able to experience "Mission: Space" without experiencing any ill effects ("I made a point of not eating anything that afternoon. After all, you can't hurl if you have nothing left to hurl.") He then offered up this intriguing theory as to why so many WDW guests and cast members have found themselves getting sick during the "Mission: Space" previews.

"It's not the ride itself that's making people sick, Jim. It's that giant Gravity Wheel with the Space Simulation Lab sitting on it. That's all that the guests can see when they're standing out in the pre-show area, waiting in the queue. They go through the line looking at this 35 foot tall room, standing on its side, as it spins 'round and 'round and 'round."

"No wonder people who are motion sensitive are exiting 'Mission: Space" complaining of dizziness and nausea," this savvy JHM reader continues. "They've already been made dizzy by what they've forced to look at while they're waiting in the queue."

"If Disney really wants to cut down on the number of people who are getting sick on 'Mission: Space,' they should just shut down -- or at least slow down -- the gravity wheel that towers over the queue area. That would probably cut back on the number of guests who are getting off the ride nauseous."

You know, that may actually be a halfway decent suggestion. I'll try and pass it off to the folks at WDI. Who -- right now, anyway -- are still anxiously flailing about, trying to find some sort of solution for their "people-are-getting-sick-on"Mission: Space" problem.

Your thoughts?

Personally, I wasn't recovered until the evening. I was pretty dizzy. Of course, I was also trying to calculate the velocity of the space wheel.

(What else could I do? PalMickey repeated himself 20 minutes into the way, and I had 30 more minutes to wait...)

What a pity, they may have to take the only true marvel of the queue out (or should I saw that SMALL! queue). Perhaps just keep it from moving, which would still be unapplealing. I'm sure a more elaborate and large queue could solve that problem. There's really nothing to do. No music to enjoy or things to look at....minus the props that are over after about 3 minutes.

Anyway, I thought the ride was painful more than anything. The pressure on my face distracted my enjoyment of the attraction - and I didn't get dizzy for about 30 minutes later - and it persisted through that evening...

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Your thoughts?

[/B]

It amazes me how some people can write an entire article based on the notion that a few riders are getting sick. I think the reviews here at WDWMAGIC are overwhelming positive. Remember, this attraction is to simulate the effects of deep space flight, not the effects of flying a kite! ;) I am hoping WDI stick to their guns and dont change anything. :)

Mission Space is not for everyone, it is intense, and riders should be physically and mentally prepared for deep space travel before boarding.

GO FOR LAUNCH! :)

AndyMagic

UGH! That Jim Hill article really upset me. The ride warns all guests a million times over that it is an intense ride that contains spinning and enclosed spaces, yet people have the nerve to complain about the spinning? Also, slowing down the centrifuge won't stop the sickness. It is when the centrifuge begins to spin that causes the disorientation. Spinning it slower wouldn't do anything but make the ride less fun.

CTXRover

I think the slight variation you are feeling is more to do with the rider than the ride system. You know how some days you find ToT to be dropping slightly faster, or RnR to be launching slightly faster or slower. I believe its psycological, or to do with your physical condition that day.

Could be and probably is the answer. Thanks for the reply :)

aim

Original Poster
I have not read the whole article. But I know that the reason I felt sick was because I just ate (which was kind of dumb, but hey, only a 5 minute wait! :) ) I agree that it depends on the rider. My family asked me if I thought they would like it, I can only say that they should experience it themselves. It's like no other ride. And, I will be one waiting to ride it again! Only Disney could come up with this kind of ride!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom