Got laid off Monday, which foreign Disney Park should I visit?

dweezil78

Thank you! Yes it’s absolutley fantastic when the choice is made for you. I was kind of stuck. There were many times I wanted to walk out but alas - bills, responsibilities, etc. Thank you for the response and that’s a good point on Florida too. It would definitely be the easiest with my son. And Your right, I’m not sure the 4 New Es in the pipeline are worth waiting for- especially if it’s at the cost of possibly missing out on the original TOT. I guess it’s kind of silly when you consider that I have never been and the whole thing would be brand new to me. Also, DLR may get it’s own Mickey ride and I know it’s just a matter of time before I go to DLP so that takes care of Rat. So I’d really just be missing out on Tron and the GOTG coaster.

Yeah man, if you are going to bring the kiddo, I think you should definitely consider WDW if you've never been there before. You'll have a blast. It may not be as culturally interesting as visiting a foreign country, but hey, that's what World Showcase is for right?? :D If your city to Disney Parks ratio leans more heavily in the city part, then Tokyo or Paris are pretty rad. If you want to just immerse yourself in Disney, you can't get any better than WDW.

As for Maui... shapeshifter, demigod of the wind and sea, hero of men (sorry, men AND women)... I admittedly haven't spent a ton of time on the island other than some day stops during cruises. Lahaina is a cool little town with lots of restaurants and shops. I also stopped by the Maui Ocean Center (aquarium) with my kid and it was a fun time. I'm sure others will have better guides than I have though! You really can't go wrong anywhere in Hawaii, all the islands have their bright spots and different vibes. There's tons to see/do everywhere.

Curious Constance

I have lots!!! I don't wanna hijack @mickEblu's thread, but here are my tips:

*Look at Aulani on a map. You'll see Ko'Olina is actually 4 separate little beaches, each one shared by a few resorts. You can easily walk to these other beaches and they are going to be far more quieter than Aulani which is packed 24/7. :) There is actually a trail that goes all the way to the last beach and then loops around and sends you back. Maybe a mile each way? It's a beautiful walk if you're looking for a little exercise.

*If your kids are old enough and you want some alone time, drop them off at Auntie's which provides free daycare/activities while you go out and drink and do adult things. It's first come, first served and you need to wake up early to wait in a line to secure them a spot. (Check w/ hotel for opening time and get in line about 30 min before that or so).

*Take the time to play the interactive tablet game at Aulani!!! It is very well done and an awesome way to kill sometime w/ kids. You'll pass all these random things around the resort that won't make any sense until you play it.

*Also have fun fun looking for all the Menehune (little mischievous Hawaiian creatures) around the resort. You'll find them tucked away all over the place. Even in the KEYHOLES of random furniture in the lobby -

*Don't be afraid to go out and explore. Oahu is pretty easy to get around. Last time I was there I took a scenic drive on the 83 and it was well worth the effort. There's a great (and I guess pretty popular) shrimp truck along the route called Giovanni's that's a must-have if you like shrimp covered in garlic - http://www.giovannisshrimptruck.com/

*Don't be afraid to go out and eat. Food at Aulani is pretty expensive (but pretty good, all things considered). Right across the street is a cool little shopping center with food, but if you get in your car and drive a few miles you can get more stuff too even cheaper. Can't say enough good things about Plantation Tavern which has the most amazing Poke Nachos. (if you like that sorta thing). There's also a Target nearby where you can get your essentials for far cheaper than what you'll pay at the resort.

*The lazy river is freaking awesome

*I did not pay to go inside, but the Polynesian Cultural Center is very Disneyland-y without being a theme park and has a free marketplace village to explore. Was a fun little stop on the 83 and has stuff to see without dropping a cent on admission.

*There is Dole Whip at the cafe. Nuff said. Truth be told, I thought the Dole Whip at Aulani was better than the stuff at the Dole Plantation. If you're going to visit there, visit for the fun gift shop, train ride, maze, etc. The Dole Whip was a bit icy, at least the day I stopped by.

*The neighboring Marriott has a little beach side restaurant/bar called Longboards which serves these insanely awesome frozen Mai Tais. If you at all enjoy drinking, you need to have one or two or twenty of these. I had a really hard time walking back to Aulani after just having two of them, but I'm also no heavyweight. :)

*Venture into Honolulu for a stop at Leonoard's for incredible Malsadas (Hawaiian donuts) and stop by the weekly flea market

Awesome info, thank you!!!

My ten year old son is crazy excited to find all the Menehune! I can't believe they are in some of the keyholes! I think I'll save this and surprise him with it when we arrive :)

dweezil78

Awesome info, thank you!!!

My ten year old son is crazy excited to find all the Menehune! I can't believe they are in some of the keyholes! I think I'll save this and surprise him with it when we arrive :)

No prob, excited to hear your trip report!! When are you going??

Also, you're going to want these when you get back:
Lobby Music -

Elevator Music (Hawaiian versions of Disney classics!) -

The lobby music in particular will be drilled into your head by the time you leave as it is on a continuous loop and you hear it constantly!

Curious Constance

No prob, excited to hear your trip report!! When are you going??

Also, you're going to want these when you get back:
Lobby Music -

Elevator Music (Hawaiian versions of Disney classics!) -

The lobby music in particular will be drilled into your head by the time you leave as it is on a continuous loop and you hear it constantly!

We are going in August. I can't wait. Did you have a room with a fold out couch? I'm hoping it's comfortable.

Also I'm thinking about sending a letter to the manager requesting a room with a certain view (we reserved a Poolside view room) because we are celebrating our 20th anniversary and my husband and I are both turning 40 this summer :eek: do you have any idea what floor would be a good one to request that will allow us to see the poor area well?

And I actually heard some of the elevator music on Disneygeek's website! Thanks!

mickEblu

Original Poster
We are going in August. I can't wait. Did you have a room with a fold out couch? I'm hoping it's comfortable.

Also I'm thinking about sending a letter to the manager requesting a room with a certain view (we reserved a Poolside view room) because we are celebrating our 20th anniversary and my husband and I are both turning 40 this summer :eek: do you have any idea what floor would be a good one to request that will allow us to see the poor area well?

And I actually heard some of the elevator music on Disneygeek's website! Thanks!

Wow congrats! 20th huh? Have a great time!

dweezil78

That's awesome, congrats on your 20th and upcoming 40th bday (I'll be right there with ya this year)!! I would probably try to ask for floor 5 or above to make sure you get a good view, otherwise there's a chance you may have a view obstructed by trees -- though I'm sure it'll still be a nice view, just not the big sweeping view you may be able to get higher! As for that view... here are some pics I snapped when I was there. :)

IMG_4724.JPG

IMG_4325.JPG

IMG_4358.JPG

Last edited:

Curious Constance

That's awesome, congrats on your 20th and upcoming 40th bday (I'll be right there with ya this year)!! I would probably try to ask for floor 5 or above to make sure you get a good view, otherwise there's a chance you may have a view obstructed by trees -- though I'm sure it'll still be a nice view, just not the big sweeping view you may be able to get higher! As for that view... here are some pics I snapped when I was there. :)

View attachment 260336
View attachment 260337
View attachment 260338

Beautiful! Thank you!

PiratesMansion

I've been to Tokyo, Hong Kong, and Paris.

I don't know that I can adequately put the greatness of Tokyo Disney into words, but I will say that service there, and service in Japan in general, has no parallel in my experience. It can be harder to find information on Tokyo than Paris and Shanghai, and the language barrier is a little more of an issue, but none of that will matter because Tokyo Disney Resort will blow you away. The best attractions and entertainment there are largely the best of the best, period. TDL is cool in that it's about 50% Disneyland and 50% Magic Kingdom, because you never get the same level of intermingling between Californian and Floridian influences in any of the other international parks. And DisneySea is DisneySea. It is true that Tokyo will affect how you will see the others, and for that reason I might hold off. If you're not going here this time, definitely slot it into your bucket list.

Hong Kong is my favorite city of the three, but Hong Kong Disneyland is worthy of a courtesy stopover on the way to Tokyo, and not a dedicated trip. I will say it was very nice-much nicer than I was expecting, and the only thing wrong with it is that it needs more attractions. Otherwise it is probably closer to Tokyo than anywhere else in terms of service and maintenance, and the language barrier virtually non-existent.

Disneyland Paris really is the culmination of the castle park, and it was extremely satisfying after experiencing DL, MK, and TDL beforehand. It's second only to DisneySea as a park meant to explore, with lavish detail and theming throughout the park. The unique touches and attractions are fantastic, and they have a number of excellent walk-through attractions. Phantom Manor and Ratatouille, while very good attractions, are overrated, more so than anything in Tokyo, IMO. I think Disneyland Paris unfairly gets a bad rap when it comes to their cast members, and many of the complaints that people make about the resort are at least somewhat overblown. However, there's not much to recommend here outside of the actual Disneyland Park. Disney Village (their shopping district) is a garish hodgepodge. The terribleness of the Studios Park cannot be overstated and nothing there in 2015 was that great (unless you've ever dreamed about endlessly re-riding Rock n' Roller Coaster, which is much easier with old school FastPass than FastPass+.) Still, there are enough rewards at Disneyland Paris that it's worth experiencing, one that you'll appreciate more if you do it before Tokyo. I did Tokyo before Paris, and my last new Disney park was Walt Disney Studios Paris, which was...a regrettable decision, to say the least.

Damon7777

SHANGHAI: it's Mainland China. Please don't get me started

HONG KONG: home to the cutest and most charming Disney park. Mystic Manor----the 2nd best attraction on Earth. Brick pavers on Main St. and mountains for a backdrop. It has a money Jungle Cruise and a bonafide headlining attraction with Grizzly Gulch coaster. Those AA bears cause mischief.
Hong Kong has the best gold in the world to buy, best noodles to eat anywhere and boasts of a top 4 accessible view in the world with Victoria Peak.

TOKYO: once you experience their Disney you can never go back to your old ways. Take the red pill like Neo by walking around the caldera and riding Journey to Center of Earth. As a Disney park goer you have not lived yet until you put into Disney Sea.

PARIS: second best looking Disney Park. Like Paris itself DLP is beautifully adorned. Some rude folk over there too(just as the stereotype warns over and over) and the city has dog droppings and urine all over. But it does have the Louve which houses famous artwork after artwork. Paris is exceptionally pretty with its ornate facades and structures but smelly and filthy, even filthier than Coney Island...not sure if I'll ever return.
Great eye candy over there but hard on the olfactory.

Go to Disney Sea and tour Tokyo's Harajuku section, play that pachinco, buy that $12 coffee in Ginza, tap a love motel, get drunk with a salaryman and kareokee it, buy something from a vending machine and go to the Shinjuku train station where 4 million people pass through daily. Amazing city unlike anywhere.

Last edited:

21stamps

Tokyo, Tokyo, Tokyo! TOKYO!

Japan is a fabulous country, very exotic yet familiar but almost everything that is familiar is done in a superior way to America. Their service standards are mind blowing, at everything from Customs to trains to hotels to department stores to Starbucks to... Disneyland.

You could fly over there for a week and stay on a 3 star budget and feel as though you got a 4 star vacation and service. The catch is you CAN NOT fly on an American airline; I would highly recommend Singapore Airlines who has several non-stops per day from LAX to Tokyo. Japan Airlines and All Nippon Airways (ANA) are close seconds. But if you flew Singapore Airlines Premium Economy you would get service and comfort for that 12 hour flight that exceeds Delta or United First Class. Stay at any good 3 star hotel in Tokyo or throughout Japan and you will feel like a king staying at an American Ritz-Carlton (but the rooms are smaller, like everything in Japan).

Take three days for Tokyo Disneyland Resort, staying at the Tokyo Bay Hilton or Sheraton located at the Resort on the monorail line. You will never be able to look at an American Cast Member the same way ever again. Just plan to spend weekdays at the Resort, hopefully avoiding big Japanese holiday weeks. The parks are insanely clean and perfectly maintained, the CM's are absolutely perfect, and the service standards are higher than Walt even demanded circa 1962. And Tokyo DisneySea is the best non-Castle park in existence (Sorry, Epcot).

If it's a Disney Parks experience that is really the end goal of your international visit, Tokyo is your best bet. And Japan is a fabulous country that deserves a week of your time. Their train system is unparalleled and makes domestic travel within the country a breeze and almost too easy. TOKYO!

I have to comment on this one.

I went to Seoul when I was in my early 20s..We flew Singapore Air. Was the best airline experience that I’ve had in my life..even til now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom