Got laid off Monday, which foreign Disney Park should I visit?

mickEblu

Original Poster
Yup. Got laid off after almost 7 years with my employer. Before anyone offers any condolences, don’t. I’ve been miserable there for a while and they gave me a pretty decent severance package. So of course as any responsible Xenial/ Millenial would do - I’m going to spend some of the money traveling. I would like to visit at least one foreign Disney park. I have not been to any Disney parks outside of DLR. The reason I’m not really considering WDW is that there is so much new stuff in the pipeline that I would rather wait 3-4 years to go. Although, the thought of knocking out 4 parks at once is nice. There is also the fear of never being able to experience the original TOT.

I think I’m leaning towards Disneyland Paris as its the city (of all Disney park locations) I’m most interested in visiting anyway. However, when it comes to the parks, it doesn’t have any of the ground breaking attractions like Hong Kong, Shanghai and Tokyo. In addition, the Studios Park seems to be the worst rated Disney park. I hear that Disneyland Paris is the most beautiful Disney park in the world and some videos I’ve seen seem to support that. It’s also recently been spruced up for its 25th anniversary so it has that going for it.

Anyway, what say you???

Last edited:

gsrjedi

I’ve only been to Paris and only for a day. I liked that their versions of rides were unique but still familiar. Crush's Coaster was one of my favorite rides. I’ve always heard great things about Tokyo Disney as those being some of the best parks.

I think the question is which park would you most like to see, disregarding it’s relative location, and would you rather see that park or the city of Paris?

D

Deleted member 107043

Yup. Got laid off after almost 7 years with my employer. Before anyone offers any condolences, don’t. I’ve been miserable there for a while and they gave me a pretty decent severance package. So of course as any responsible Xenial/ Millenial would do - I’m going to spend some of the money traveling. I would like to visit at least one foreign Disney park. I have not been to any Disney parks outside of DLR. The reason I’m not really considering WDW is that there is so much new stuff in the pipeline that I would rather wait 3-4 years to go. Although, the thought of knocking out 4 parks at once is nice. There is also the fear of never being able to experience the original TOT.

I think I’m leaning towards Disneyland Paris as its the city (of all Disney park locations) I’m most interested in visiting anyway. However, when it comes to the parks, it doesn’t have any of the ground breaking attractions like Hong Kong, Shanghai and Tokyo. In addition, the Studios Park seems to be the worst rated Disney park. I hear that Disneyland Paris is the most beautiful Disney park in the world and some videos I’ve seen seem to support that. It’s also recently been spruced up for its 25th anniversary so it has that going for it.

Anyway, what say you???

It all kind of depends on how much foreign travel you've done. I can't recommend DLP enough. If you love Disneyland you'll love the Paris Magic Kingdom even more. The Paris Studios park kind of sucks, but it has the DCA version ToT that you love, and with Paris just 40 minutes away by train DLP is hard to beat.

Have you been to Europe?

Last edited by a moderator:

Darkbeer1

First, do you have to watch your budget?

I would opt for Japan, not just for the Disney Parks, but also Universal Studios Japan and Fuji Q Highland.

Also, for the non-Theme Park stuff.

If you are more interested in Europe, I would do more than just Paris. I would also check out Europa Park in Germany, La Puy du Fou and Futuroscope in France.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I’ve only been to Paris and only for a day. I liked that their versions of rides were unique but still familiar. Crush's Coaster was one of my favorite rides. I’ve always heard great things about Tokyo Disney as those being some of the best parks.

I think the question is which park would you most like to see, disregarding it’s relative location, and would you rather see that park or the city of Paris?

Park from A to Z... Paris. But if it were strictly about rides, probably Shanghai or Tokyo.

Travel Junkie

Here's my take on all of them:

Paris - You are right the most beautiful park . I've heard this said once and it is absolutely true. Disneyland Paris was designed by Disney nerds for Disney nerds. This is the best park for walk through experiences and just stroll around a park. The studios park is a joke Does still have DCA's version of TOT though.) :) The other good thing about DLP is you are really close to so many amazing cities in Europe and can be part of a greater European trip. If you go there and looking for another theme park, Efteling is about 3 hours away and an absolute gem.

Tokyo - Overall the best theme park. Amazing slate of rides and Disney Sea is stunning. There is some construction right now, but shouldn't impede your enjoyment. Tokyo is one of my favorite cities on the planet. Kyoto is about 2 hours away by train and a must see if you go to Japan.

Hong Kong - Think Disneyland without the crowds. Underrated park but not as much to do as the others. Mystic Manor is Disney at its best and they have the best version of the Jungle Cruise. Their version unique version of Big Thunder in Grizzly Gulch is better than Big Thunder imo. They have stuff including the castle under construction right now. Hong Kong is a great (but expensive city.) Macau is about an hour away and worth a visit.

Shanghai - aka supersized Disney. Their castle is massive and the hub is probably bigger than Tommorrowland at DL. Pirates is amazing, Tron is fun, and don't miss the two big shows, the pirate stunt show and the Tarzan show. Shanghai is a world class city with a stunning skyline. A note about Shanghai is that you need to either buy a Visa in advance or do a visa free transit which I can explain if you are interested. I like Shanghai DL, but I would pick another park if seeing another Disneyland is you main goal.

As cities I like Tokyo the most, but most people prefer Paris. You can't go wrong with either though.

Overall I would say this. If you want to visit another a theme park as part of a larger vacation go to Paris. It's really easy to bounce around Europe quickly using fast trains or budget airlines. You can pack a lot more into a European vacation because places are so close to each other.

If you want to see the best Disney park go to Tokyo. It's also easy to add in either Hong Kong or Shanghai to Tokyo. It's not too hard to fly into either Hong Kong or Shanghai and then fly home from Tokyo or vice versa.

Any questions on any of the parks or the cities, let me know.

mickEblu

Original Poster
It all kind of depends on how much foreign travel you've done. I can't recommend DLP enough. If you love Disneyland you'll love the Paris Magic Kingdom even more. The Paris Studios park kind of sucks, but it has the DCA version ToT that you love, and with Paris just 40 minutes away by train DLP is hard to beat.

Have you been to Europe?

Yeah I think Paris is the strong front runner. I’ve been to Europe once. Sicily for one month - 17 years ago. Why do i hear such negative reviews about the city of Paris though? It seems like people hate it or love it. But most people I know who have been to a few European cities, say it was one of their least favorite stops.

Anyway, I always pictured when I go to France that I would do some of the country side and south of France on the same trip but but I’m not sure all of that plus Disney is feasible on one trip. At least In a way where your not rushing, relaxing a little and doing it right. Unless I spend 2+ weeks there which I’m not prepared to do for a few reasons.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Original Poster
First, do you have to watch your budget?

I would opt for Japan, not just for the Disney Parks, but also Universal Studios Japan and Fuji Q Highland.

Also, for the non-Theme Park stuff.

If you are more interested in Europe, I would do more than just Paris. I would also check out Europa Park in Germany, La Puy du Fou and Futuroscope in France.

Well, I don’t want to spend too much. Just want to be a little spontaneous and treat myself. I’m still saving up for a down payment on a home and waiting for this real estate market to come down at some point this century. But if this were purely about rides and multiple theme parks, I thinkJapan would definitely be the choice...as you say

D

Deleted member 107043

Why do i hear such negative reviews about the city of Paris though?

I'm a city boy, so perhaps I'm biased, but as cities go Paris is fabulous. The nightlife, restaurants, shopping, museums, and their Disneyland are all outstanding. It's also downright beautiful. I remember the first time I visited as an adult I got depressed every time I thought about coming home to the Bay Area. I was living in the East Bay at the time, so that probably explains why I felt that way, lol.

Just beware of the weather. It can be cold and cloudy there as late as May.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Here's my take on all of them:

Paris - You are right the most beautiful park . I've heard this said once and it is absolutely true. Disneyland Paris was designed by Disney nerds for Disney nerds. This is the best park for walk through experiences and just stroll around a park. The studios park is a joke Does still have DCA's version of TOT though.) :) The other good thing about DLP is you are really close to so many amazing cities in Europe and can be part of a greater European trip. If you go there and looking for another theme park, Efteling is about 3 hours away and an absolute gem.

Tokyo - Overall the best theme park. Amazing slate of rides and Disney Sea is stunning. There is some construction right now, but shouldn't impede your enjoyment. Tokyo is one of my favorite cities on the planet. Kyoto is about 2 hours away by train and a must see if you go to Japan.

Hong Kong - Think Disneyland without the crowds. Underrated park but not as much to do as the others. Mystic Manor is Disney at its best and they have the best version of the Jungle Cruise. Their version unique version of Big Thunder in Grizzly Gulch is better than Big Thunder imo. They have stuff including the castle under construction right now. Hong Kong is a great (but expensive city.) Macau is about an hour away and worth a visit.

Shanghai - aka supersized Disney. Their castle is massive and the hub is probably bigger than Tommorrowland at DL. Pirates is amazing, Tron is fun, and don't miss the two big shows, the pirate stunt show and the Tarzan show. Shanghai is a world class city with a stunning skyline. A note about Shanghai is that you need to either buy a Visa in advance or do a visa free transit which I can explain if you are interested. I like Shanghai DL, but I would pick another park if seeing another Disneyland is you main goal.

As cities I like Tokyo the most, but most people prefer Paris. You can't go wrong with either though.

Overall I would say this. If you want to visit another a theme park as part of a larger vacation go to Paris. It's really easy to bounce around Europe quickly using fast trains or budget airlines. You can pack a lot more into a European vacation because places are so close to each other.

If you want to see the best Disney park go to Tokyo. It's also easy to add in either Hong Kong or Shanghai to Tokyo. It's not too hard to fly into either Hong Kong or Shanghai and then fly home from Tokyo or vice versa.

Any questions on any of the parks or the cities, let me know.

Thanks for the great breakdown. Ya Paris is really starting to sound like a no brainer. I have family in Sicily that I could visit and I’d be a Train ride away from London. Sounds like it would be the most well rounded trip. One thing I’m weary of though is cramming too much into one trip. Sometimes I think it’s better to pick one country or city and really explore it as opposed to 2-3 and just getting the highlights.

As far as the parks, I like your description of Disney nerds building It for Disney Nerds. I love nice landscaping and it’s a big reason (maybe the biggest) of why I love DL and have an AP.

I feel like Shanghai doesn’t have a shot as I don’t know anything bout the city and it doesn’t appeal to me. I would literally be going for Tron and POTC and I just can’t justify that. Not when there are so many other countries/ parks I have not seen. Tokyo I think I’ll do one day but there is a lot of Europe I want do first. Food is also huge for me on trips and I think the opportunity of getting to try some of the food in 2-3 Euro countries is also appealing. Not that Japanese food isn’t great but I’m not huge on raw seafood so...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

Anyway, I always pictured when I go to France that I would some of the country side and south of France on the same trip but but I’m not sure all of that plus Disney is feasible on one trip. At least In a way where your not rushing, relaxing a little and doing it right. Unless I spend 2+ weeks there which I’m not prepared to do for a few reasons.

Paris is smaller than Texas. There's no reason why you would need 2 weeks to hit the highlights. The TGV can get you from Paris to the Mediterranean coast in less than 6 hours.

TROR

I say Paris mostly for their Frontierland. If you go there, you'll want to go before they destroy Tower of Terror there but also have the new Phantom Manor opens, but I don't know if those two events will line up.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Paris is smaller than Texas. There's no reason why you would need 2 weeks to hit the highlights. The TGV can get you from Paris to the Mediterranean coast in less than 6 hours.

I meant 2 plus weeks to see Paris, some of the Countryside, south of France and Disney. Unless you meant France and not Paris. Which Im pretty sure you did based off your size comparison.

D

Deleted member 107043

I meant 2 plus weeks to see Paris, some of the Countryside, south of France and Disney. Unless you meant France and not Paris. Which Im pretty sure you did based off your size comparison.

I think you could see most of the major highlights in France in less than 2 weeks. You don't need more than a couple of days to do DLP.

vancee

I'm a city boy, so perhaps I'm biased, but as cities go Paris is fabulous. The nightlife, restaurants, shopping, museums, and their Disneyland are all outstanding. It's also downright beautiful. I remember the first time I visited as an adult I got depressed every time I thought about coming home to the Bay Area. I was living in the East Bay at the time, so that probably explains why I felt that way, lol.

Just beware of the weather. It can be cold and cloudy there as late as May.

I live really close to San Fransisco, and get tired by this place every minute. :(

Curious Constance

Hope you find a new, better job that you love @mickEblu
Sometimes the things we're least expecting are exactly the push we need to create a happier future. Just think, how many more years would you have spent in a job you weren't happy with? Now you have the opportunity to travel and time to find a brand new job you'll hopefully love! Good luck! :)

mickEblu

Original Poster
Hope you find a new, better job that you love @mickEblu
Sometimes the things we're least expecting are exactly the push we need to create a happier future. Just think, how many more years would you have spent in a job you weren't happy with? Now you have the opportunity to travel and time to find a brand new job you'll hopefully love! Good luck! :)

Thanks! I appreciate It. That’s what I’m hoping for. In fact, it seems that everyone I know that also got laid off were absolutely elated. Some of them had been with organization 15/20 years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom