Gossip phone?!

Rob562

Well, I wouldn't necessarily say it's to not desecrate the Seal by walking on it... The one in the real Oval Office gets walked on daily. I don't think they're worried about it being disrespected by getting stepped on.

It's most likely just to keep it clean so they don't have to thoroughly clean or replace it if something got spilled on it. (And I'll bet that's a VERY expensive piece of carpeting...)

Something similar can be found in the queue for the Great Movie Ride. In the first lobby of the Chinese Theater, the actual queue walkway is very short-pile carpeting. But just outside the queue ropes on either side is very thick, plush red carpeting. Gives a nice, elegant visual appeal, but because it's roped off from Guests stepping on it, it doesn't have to be cleaned or replaced as often.

The railing at HoP also makes the Seal a nice focal point in the room.

-Rob

EPCOTPluto

Well, I wouldn't necessarily say it's to not desecrate the Seal by walking on it... The one in the real Oval Office gets walked on daily. I don't think they're worried about it being disrespected by getting stepped on.

It's most likely just to keep it clean so they don't have to thoroughly clean or replace it if something got spilled on it. (And I'll bet that's a VERY expensive piece of carpeting...)

Something similar can be found in the queue for the Great Movie Ride. In the first lobby of the Chinese Theater, the actual queue walkway is very short-pile carpeting. But just outside the queue ropes on either side is very thick, plush red carpeting. Gives a nice, elegant visual appeal, but because it's roped off from Guests stepping on it, it doesn't have to be cleaned or replaced as often.

The railing at HoP also makes the Seal a nice focal point in the room.

-Rob

Well, seems to make more sense. I just read it from somewhere, that's all. :)

trendicoff

Lol, sorry I checked back for the first few days and no one asked so I stopped checking. Anyways, you all had good guesses, but Rob562 gets the prize for being closest. The answer is as follows:

The seal of the President of the United States, cannot be "leased" or loaned out. Therefore, that area of the carpet is actually US government property and requires an act of congress (no, not the one that requires a full vote, and not as hard as it sounds but still annoying) to send in a cleaning crew, WDW cannot touch that area. Therefore, they keep it fenced off so that it stays cleaner longer and can last till the cleaning crew, which comes about every 3 months, (just local federal government cleaning people) can come and clean it.

Hope that quenches everyon's curiosity. If you'd like more triva, I'm glad to share :)

MousekeTina

2. Watercraft: take the boats or ferries and get a Disney Watercraft sticker.

I ride the ferry every year I go and never got a sticker :( Who should I hold up for one on my next trip?!

Phonedave

Lol, sorry I checked back for the first few days and no one asked so I stopped checking. Anyways, you all had good guesses, but Rob562 gets the prize for being closest. The answer is as follows:

The seal of the President of the United States, cannot be "leased" or loaned out. Therefore, that area of the carpet is actually US government property and requires an act of congress (no, not the one that requires a full vote, and not as hard as it sounds but still annoying) to send in a cleaning crew, WDW cannot touch that area. Therefore, they keep it fenced off so that it stays cleaner longer and can last till the cleaning crew, which comes about every 3 months, (just local federal government cleaning people) can come and clean it.

Hope that quenches everyon's curiosity. If you'd like more triva, I'm glad to share :)

So if I painstakingly recreate the Seal on my living room floor, all of a sudden it becomes Government property ?

-dave

awilliams4

I kind of wish the phone wasn't working when we went. DD didn't want to stop listening. :brick: It was our only day in the MK that trip and we stopped there first. I didn't want to waste any time...:ROFLOL:

When did you go? I would love to try out the Gossip Phone if it was working. Was this a recent visit?

lumpydj

February of this year is when we went. I've seen some reports here recently though - that the phone is there but nothing was on the line. :shrug: Can't hurt to stop by and try it though. It's close to the park entrance.

Rob562

I ride the ferry every year I go and never got a sticker :( Who should I hold up for one on my next trip?!

I have never personally seen them handed out on the MK-TTC ferry (perhaps the crowds are just too large, usually), but often see the captains on the smaller Seven Seas Lagoon/Bay Lake watercraft give them out. Sometimes the Epcot Resorts Friendships, too.

-Rob

Sparkles

woo hoo!

Reading all these has just made me so much more excited about our next trip. Will take a list with me as 2 members of our party are having their first ever visit! Can't wait!! 60 days and counting!!!!
:eek:)

sclenyk

I didn't get stickers, I recieved certificates from the Ferry. But that was in the 80's. I still have them though.

sittle

I can confirm that you can no longer sit up front with the monorail driver. Do not expect it to return anytime in the near or even distant future future.

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Oh bummer.... I always wanted to do that..... I always wanted to do that with my little children! ... *sniff* :cry: *sniff*....

.... bummer.... :cry:

yensid67

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Oh bummer.... I always wanted to do that..... I always wanted to do that with my little children! ... *sniff* :cry: *sniff*....

.... bummer.... :cry:

I rode in the front with the monorail captain when my parents came to visit and see where I worked! It was nice but our captain didn't even say a word to us! :shrug: Oh well, it was my parents very first vacation in 33 years, so I wanted to show them the place where I worked and wanted them to see Disney Worlds most important attractions and since I worked there, I knew all the best places to show them!:animwink:

FOR ANYONE READING ALL THE POSTS, IF YOU PRINT THE LISTS OF SECRETS AND USE THEM ON YOUR NEXT TRIP, I ASSURE YOU, YOU WILL HAVE A FAB TIME FINDING EVERYTHING ON YOUR LISTS!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom