Goofy's Country Dancing Jamboree Closing Saturday 9/4/04

Scooter

Kudos to Disney for at least TRYING something differant.
So it didn't work...lets move on and try something else.
Don't bring back Diamond Horsehoe Review...Do something bigger and BETTER!
This is Frontierland...surely we can come up with something with a western theme that will appease the Disney Fans.

Perhaps a Western dining experiance with a chuckwagon menu and some inter-action between Guests and Castmembers.
A sort of Cowboy 50's Prime time Cafe if you will.
Have a temporary JAIL where you can put Dad's with elbows on the tables
or for people who put ketchup on their scrambled eggs. :hurl:

Make them sing "I'm a little Tea Pot" in order to get out of jail...that sort of thing.

I have faith in Disney and their Imagineers.
They will find the right attraction for this spot eventually. :sohappy:

Atta83

Well hey maybe they will bring the toy story characters back to the MK then. I mean I know buzz is over by his ride, but you can only find Woody and Jessie over at Studios.

mrtoad

How big exactly is the inside of the building as Only made it just inside the door like 25 years ago? Is it big enough to do much with or is really only big enough to be something similar to what was there already?

General Grizz

Scooter said:
Kudos to Disney for at least TRYING something differant.
So it didn't work...lets move on and try something else.
Don't bring back Diamond Horsehoe Review...Do something bigger and BETTER!
This is Frontierland...surely we can come up with something with a western theme that will appease the Disney Fans.

Perhaps a Western dining experiance with a chuckwagon menu and some inter-action between Guests and Castmembers.

Make them sing "I'm a little Tea Pot" in order to get out of jail...that sort of thing.

If only the Imagineers had that power right now. . .

Don't forget; Diamond Horseshoe changed to Goofy's Dancing Jamboree as part of a series of cutbacks. The show was not exactly unsuccessful (perhaps successful for what it is, however), probably gained more anger from Diamond Horsehoe fans than unique cheer from Goofy visitors ...

But anyway - your ideas are IMPRESSIVE, and I, too, would like to see anything better than what it is. But the atmosphere needs to be authentic. The point I'm trying to make is - Rob said that CUTBACKS is the issue with the closure of Goofy's Dancing Jamboree. Unfortunately, your ideas (and those that I have), require budget - the exact opposite of what Disney is trying to do here. . .

. . . and that's pretty darn unfortunate.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Oh, I get it now. Eisner and Co. are trying to live up to one of Walt's quotes - "It's kind of fun doing the impossible." (Apologies, I don't think that's the exact quote, but....). They are trying to make money without spending money.

When exactly do they think they'll reach the saturation point with Meet N' Greet's, or gift shops?

I guess originality doesn't have a place, anymore. I hope new blood within management and the Board can turn that around.

careship

I LOVED the Diamond Horseshoe Revue and never missed a single visit. When they replaced it with a glorified character meet and greet I refused to go see it. We don't do alot of character meeting anyways now that my boys are older. They only want to see Grumpy, Pluto and Mickey if they are in the mood. They loved seeing Big Al and that sort. They like parades to see characters, that's it. They did more damage than good by replacing Diamond Horseshoe IMHO, it just was a bad idea. I am however, disgusted that they are just closing something else down yet again with no plans for change for the better. Budget cuts???? It's because ME is all about the money. ARGHHHHH!!! Just shut them all down and save money ME, because all that seems to be happening is bad changes with no thought behind it. Granted, I am not complaining we are getting new things, but they are closing way more then they are imagineering. It's easy to close something and add a carnival ride or some off the shelf ride with a Disney version to it. Ugh, not even going to get going on this.

speck76

HauntedPirate said:
Oh, I get it now. Eisner and Co. are trying to live up to one of Walt's quotes - "It's kind of fun doing the impossible." (Apologies, I don't think that's the exact quote, but....). They are trying to make money without spending money.

When exactly do they think they'll reach the saturation point with Meet N' Greet's, or gift shops?

I guess originality doesn't have a place, anymore. I hope new blood within management and the Board can turn that around.

Oh yes, because NO money is being spent at WDW right now....EE, Soarin', SGE, Wishes, Mickey's Philharmagic, Mission Space, Lights-Motors-Action......those were all free....right?

I am in the parks every weekend, and I almost always see lines for little kiddies to meet the characters......until the lines are gone, meet and greet's will continue. Besides, I would rather have them meeting in a building someplace than clogging the pathways throughout the park.

It was a bad show....I am sure something will eventually take its place. Considering the summer season is over, and attendance at the parks for the next few months will be a fraction of what it was the last few months, some cost-cutting is needed......they don't need to staff the park for crowds that will not be there....THAT is bad management!

Scooter

General Grizz said:
If only the Imagineers had that power right now. . .

Don't forget; Diamond Horseshoe changed to Goofy's Dancing Jamboree as part of a series of cutbacks. The show was not exactly unsuccessful (perhaps successful for what it is, however), probably gained more anger from Diamond Horsehoe fans than unique cheer from Goofy visitors ...

But anyway - your ideas are IMPRESSIVE, and I, too, would like to see anything better than what it is. But the atmosphere needs to be authentic. The point I'm trying to make is - Rob said that CUTBACKS is the issue with the closure of Goofy's Dancing Jamboree. Unfortunately, your ideas (and those that I have), require budget - the exact opposite of what Disney is trying to do here. . .

. . . and that's pretty darn unfortunate.

Good points Grizz...

..but if my memory serves me correctly, the Diamond Horsehoe Review, while it WAS closed due to cutbacks, the DANCERS were the reason. Disney pays Permormers ie. Dancers and Actors more than some of the regular castmembers. At the same time DHR was closed, other Dancing and performing shows were cut back as well.

As far as Goofy's Dancing Jamboree goes, I have a hard time believing that it is being closed due to budget retraints or cutbacks. The Disney people may SAY that...but first of all, IMO, it hasn't been around long enough to get the hook due to money reasons...and 2nd of all, from what I have heard, it just wasn't drawing much of an audience and was getting so-so reviews by the few that did see it.

It's The Figment Imagination Phenomenon all over again...Disney Replaced a Good show with a bad show and now they are scratching their heads. What they NEED to do is figure out how to put a GREAT show in there to get people to come back.

I think it can be done tastefully and with what I call Disney Dignity w/o a big budget.
But then again...I don't work for Disney

MKCustodial

speck76 said:
I am in the parks every weekend, and I almost always see lines for little kiddies to meet the characters......until the lines are gone, meet and greet's will continue. Besides, I would rather have them meeting in a building someplace than clogging the pathways throughout the park.

It's great that you're at the parks every weekend, Speck, but I don't think we need more Meet & Greets. If the kiddies run into Mickey every five steps, even THEY'll get fed up. And I don't know about you, but WDW isn't about kiddies. It's about families. That's why foccusing on Meet & Greets is just as wrong as foccusing on thrill rides or gift shops. These days, Disney is aiming for specific age groups, instead of seeing the whole picture.

careship

MKCustodial said:
It's great that you're at the parks every weekend, Speck, but I don't think we need more Meet & Greets. If the kiddies run into Mickey every five steps, even THEY'll get fed up. And I don't know about you, but WDW isn't about kiddies. It's about families. That's why foccusing on Meet & Greets is just as wrong as foccusing on thrill rides or gift shops. These days, Disney is aiming for specific age groups, instead of seeing the whole picture.

It's gone far past just meet and greet issues. You are right about the specific age groups they seem to be focusing on. They have stopped focusing on the true magic, other than Philharmagic which I think is the best they've done in years, the AA's, the family rides the rides that tell a story like Haunted Mansion. PoTC, etc.

speck76

MKCustodial said:

While I think segmenting the entertainment is risky, I think it is a necessary evil. You can not tell me that EE is being designed with the whole family in mind.....MS was not either, nor is Soarin'.

Families have changed since Walt's time. Heck...I am my own family (as the parks do not allow dogs inside) and I would rather have the kiddies in line for a meet and greet than screaming and playing around in the queue area where I am.

SpenceMan01

Scooter said:

Sounds a bit like the Hoop Dee Doo Revue if you ask me. I haven't seen the show but I've heard so many good reviews we booked PS for our upcoming trip.

mkt said:
worse....

Character meets from what I've been told. I hope I was misinformed.
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!! :brick: I was going to say something like that just jokingly, but NOOOOOO not another meet and greet! Say it ain't so! Say it ain't so! :cry:

MKCustodial

speck76 said:
While I think segmenting the entertainment is risky, I think it is a necessary evil. You can not tell me that EE is being designed with the whole family in mind.....MS was not either, nor is Soarin'.

Families have changed since Walt's time. Heck...I am my own family (as the parks do not allow dogs inside) and I would rather have the kiddies in line for a meet and greet than screaming and playing around in the queue area where I am.

You're right, neither EE nor Space were really designed for families. Now I can't say much about EE, but I don't think Space will be a long-standing classic like, say Space Mountain or even Splash Mountain.

And if you allow me to say so, that last line of yours is fundamentally what's wrong nowadays with the company. There's too much of that mentality around, and it really doesn't do us any good. It makes parents enjoy attractions separately, or leaves them stuck in the "kiddie lands". That's one thing I thought Disney would never have, which is usually an "amusement park" feature. Sincerely, I don't think Fantasyland qualify as a "kiddie land". It's the land most geared for kids, but people of all ages can have fun there. I didn't get the same feeling from Camp Mickey at Ak, though.

Does that make any sense? :lookaroun

mrtoad

speck76 said:

I agree that for little kids the Meet and Greets are huge. I did not realize until this year when we went with our 3 year for her first trip. We never bothered before being adults other then whey the characters use to just be around rather than being so regimented. But my daughter would want to stop at everyone. We have a ton of her with Mickey taken over and over and over.

Anyway my point is the same as Speck's. I would rather it be inside and not clogging the pathways but also for a different reason. If my daughter does not know the characters are there, she won't want to stop. I don't mind her seeing them and enjoying them. But to have stand on line for the same character that you stood on line for the day before just to go up and have 30 seconds with them makes me a little nuts. :p

speck76

MKCustodial said:
And if you allow me to say so, that last line of yours is fundamentally what's wrong nowadays with the company. There's too much of that mentality around, and it really doesn't do us any good. It makes parents enjoy attractions separately, or leaves them stuck in the "kiddie lands". That's one thing I thought Disney would never have, which is usually an "amusement park" feature. Sincerely, I don't think Fantasyland qualify as a "kiddie land". It's the land most geared for kids, but people of all ages can have fun there. I didn't get the same feeling from Camp Mickey at Ak, though.

Does that make any sense? :lookaroun

Don't take me wrong...I don't think EVERY new attraction should be designed for a certain target market, but that is also not the case.....Philharmagic, Wishes, SGE (from the description) are all attractions/shows that can be enjoyed by the whole family.

I think it is all in the mix.

Not EVERY attraction has to appeal to EVERY age group. It only makes sense to have some attractions appeal to the kiddies, so the park doesn't get the "there is nothing for kids to do" reputation, and some of the attractions to appeal more towards adults, so the park does not get the "there's nothing to do for adults" reputation. The majority of attractions should have mass appeal, but I don't think all of them do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom