Goofy training? Post your questions, comments and advice here.

frank2271

Original Poster
Hi everyone,

I'm signed up for my first Goofy (actually doing the Dopey) in 2013 and wanted to start a thread for everyone out there who is like me: training for a crazy goal, 39.3 miles in two days.

Thought the experts in this challenge could help with specific questions for those of us training for our first Goofy.

I'll start,

I have ran one full and many halfs in the past. The training for a full is very intense. Should I adjust my training schedule to get ready for the Goofy? I am currently using a schedule that I got from runnersworld.com and have a 3-4 day a week schedule with one long run a week. Will that get my legs ready for two long runs in two days?

Thanks in advance and good luck in your Goofy Training,

Frank

lukacseven

2013 will be my 3rd Goofy. In short, in past years, I trained as if I was doing the ful and added a Saturday run the last few weeks of training.

I typically run the Philly Marathon, which falls the weekend before Thanksgiving. I'll train much more serious for that race and do more maintenance runs leading up to Disney. About the first weekend in November, I'll start adding a 3 mile Saturday run and work up to about an 8-9 mile Saturday run by Christmas, then start my taper. That's assuming the weather cooperates. I actually found I felt better the Monday following Goofy than I did after single races.

AUPr8Hd

I'm no expert, as this will be my 1st Goofy. But, I would probably echo the other suggestion of training for a marathon with a few Saturday runs prior to Sunday long runs.

I am going to use Higdon's marathon plan and will tweak the weekends for the last 7 or 8 weeks. I hope this will get the legs/body prepared for back to back longer runs

Kristia

Love this thread! Will be keeping an eye on it as my husband and I are planning on doing our first Goofy in 2013 as well!

hikrdude

Goofy Medal Picture

Has anyone seen a picture of the Goofy medal for '13? I have the "Hat" from the second year and the big "5" from the fifth year but I want a shiny Goofy head medal for my collection. I also got the dumb ole "5" from DisneyLand when I really wanted to get a "castle".

hikrdude

WDW Full '05, WDW Half '06, Goofy '07, Goofy '10, DL Half '10 (C2C '10), W&D '11, WDW Half '12, WDW C/D '12, ToT10 '12, Goofy '13

lukacseven

I think the Goofy medal will be the same as last year and I'm assumig the Donald medal will be the same one as 2011, as well. Can't wait to see the 20th Anniversary - I'm expecting a facebook post a month or so in advance of the race with an image of the medal. I'm sure it will be awesome, but I'm more curious as to what the "spectacular surprise" will be.

Ariel484

I have probably thought about this way too much, but I am an OCD planner so it comes with the territory I guess. :rolleyes: Here is what I am currently thinking...

I think I am using Hal Higdon's Intermediate 1 plan, with a few changes: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51139/Marathon-Intermediate-1-Training-Program. I thought about using his Intermediate 2 plan, which I know is popular for Goofy, but having 3 20-milers on the schedule is scary to me, so I will shoot for 2.

I'm taking out the Saturday run...4 days per week of running is the max I want to go right now.

I am moving the Wednesday run to Fridays (works better with my schedule), but I will probably make small changes to this so that it maxes out at 10 miles during the weeks that have the 20-mile long runs instead of 8. So most weeks running days will be Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Sunday.

On weeks 2, 5, 8, 11, 13 and 15 I am moving the Friday runs to Saturdays.

I might make the second 20-miler a 22-miler (with an 11-miler the day before)...not sure at this point.

Strength training will be Mondays/Wednesdays: www.runnersworld.com/ironstrength

Lots of stretching/occasional yoga classes

1 day of total rest per week (Friday or Saturday)

This is pretty much my schedule right now (I am training to hopefully get a new PR in a local half marathon) and it's working for me, so I think it's doable for Goofy training. The big unknown for me will be the weather as it gets closer to marathon weekend. :eek:

So excited!

Ariel484

Oh, and I MIGHT throw the 5K in as well...I think I will wait and see what the theme is. You only live once, right? :)

hikrdude

New Course

Anyone else seen the new marathon course posted? I, for one, am unhappy with it. I really liked running through EPCOT in the dark & seeing the Illuminations displays. Now it is more of the dreaded "highway" between AK & Studios:hurl:.

Ariel484

FYI, Galloway's plans are up at runDisney.com...I personally won't be using one, but I do think it's neat that there's an option to download a calendar version.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
5k and Goofy Challenge in 2013, with 20+ mile runs before and and after the races on our vacation. Goofy was a blast this year too.

Advice: s--t early if you can. Don't eat anything different from your training nutrition the night before even though Disney grub is available. Take pics, and run hard as if it were your last race.

frank2271

Original Poster
Food is a BIG question. How do you re-fuel after the Half and carb up for the full on less than 24 hours without having any stomach issues?

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Food is a BIG question. How do you re-fuel after the Half and carb up for the full on less than 24 hours without having any stomach issues?
Ya just have to suck it up. Get your protein in after the half, and just eat normally through out the day. You shouldn't have any issue after the half.

Paint&Run

My daughter & I are doing the Goofy Challenge. We're excited, but obviously scared. It will be our first full marathon. We ran the Disney HM 2012 and had a blast, so are looking forward to more fun. I am using a Galloway 4 day plan (his for- time marathon plans) as they are 4 running days and will modify to do longer runs periodically (looking at his Goofy schedule) the day before our long run. DD is a nurse, so works strange schedules, so our plan has to be somewhat flexible to get the lsd's in on her off days.

MKCP 1985

I'm not hard core like some on these forums, but have done the Goofy and survived it relatively intact. While there are plenty of tips for training and preparation, I will share two tips that will have you ready to go for day 2 after you complete that half marathon on Saturday, and for Day 3 after you finish the marathon.

1. When you finish the half and get your medal, go straight to the first aid tent and ask them to ice your knees and ankles. Disney is great about having plenty of ice and will happily do this for you. 20 minutes of ice on those joints will take all the next day soreness out of them. Yes, do it again after the full marathon. This is a huge help.

2. Get some of that cream you put on a baby's bottom - you know, the white stuff? All those people you see walking like zombies the day after? They didn't have that cream. Before and after, and people will think you stole that finisher medal you are sporting all around Disney World.

This last tip is optional. I did this and it helped. Ice bath after the full marathon. Good gosh is it uncomfortable. But hey, people swear by this, and I was climbing steps Monday with no problems. Here is a photo at Monday's breakfast, with finisher medal proudly on display (and rightfully so, because it is highly doubtful I will ever do this again!): Well, you can't see that is a Goofy, hiding behind the Tonga Toast, but it is!

162699_1689061659731_7459973_n.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom