Goodbye to the 'Sea of Yellow Ponchos'

Blizz

Original Poster
Well I am not sure if this is old news (will be to cast members). Disney World is getting rid of it's yellow rain ponchos sold in stores when it rains.

"Yes. Leaders are replacing all yellow ponchos used by Guests with clear rain gear. Previously, when a storm popped up at the park, the crowd turned into a sea of yellow ponchos. the clear raincoats should help family members identify their loved ones in the crowds during a storm. The decision to make this change was based on feedback from Guests."
-Mark Dukes, Regional General Manager for Merchandise
(as printed in the Oct. 16 - 29, 2003 issue of 'Eyes and Ears')

Maria

Will/do they have Mickey on them too?

I think it´s a good idea - losing a loved one on a rainy day is frightening...

CTXRover

Reason behind new clear ponchos

Disney has said the reason for the switch is to allow families to find each other, especially those with children, when it rains. But I think an equally influential reason, if not more influential,is security. With those big yellow ponches, anyone could hide anything they wanted underneath those and security would never know. They don't pat people down or anything. But with clear ponchos, that problem is completely alleviated.

Safety is Disney's number 1 concern and with the institution of permanent security checkpoints at all the parks, I can't help but think this was the main reason for this change. The ability to locate family members is just a benefit and in the aspect of keeping that happy Disney image, it is better reason to announce publicly than saying it is because of security.

ImSweetPea

it's been out since aug if i remember right.

---------------------------

Yes... I was there in Aug and they were clear.. some people still had there old yellows ones....

egionet

At least they aren't getting rid of the ponchos. I love to make fun of the poncho people. I mean, come on folks, it rains for 15 minutes a day. Suck it up and stand inside or under a covering. I also really like to make fun of the people who wear their ponchos on the water rides. They are WATER rides. If you don't wanna get wet don't go on it. Not to mention in the summer, it's like 96 degrees outside, get wet, cool off. But people are still wearing the dumb ponchos. Sorry, guys, I just had to vent about the poncho people!

JLW11Hi

Originally posted by egionet
At least they aren't getting rid of the ponchos. I love to make fun of the poncho people. I mean, come on folks, it rains for 15 minutes a day. Suck it up and stand inside or under a covering. I also really like to make fun of the people who wear their ponchos on the water rides. They are WATER rides. If you don't wanna get wet don't go on it. Not to mention in the summer, it's like 96 degrees outside, get wet, cool off. But people are still wearing the dumb ponchos. Sorry, guys, I just had to vent about the poncho people!

Heh, I dont know about you, but it would suck to have to go through a whole rainy day at a park without a poncho.

This has happened to me before at Disneyland, and it really sucked. Seeing as we were on a tour.

egionet

Originally posted by JLW11Hi
Heh, I dont know about you, but it would suck to have to go through a whole rainy day at a park without a poncho.

This has happened to me before at Disneyland, and it really sucked. Seeing as we were on a tour.

It rained/drizzled almost the entire time I was there in August. I, and the other 8 people I was with, managed to deal without ponchos. It's really not hard. I just think the ponchos are a hassle and a HUGE rip off.

Maria

I also really like to make fun of the people who wear their ponchos on the water rides. They are WATER rides. If you don't wanna get wet don't go on it.

Try getting on them in the Winter.... :animwink:

It´s fun doing the ride and experiencing how it is without getting wet with that cold water and catching a cold! Been there - done that with Kali River Rapids. :animwink:

egionet

Originally posted by Maria
Try getting on them in the Winter.... :animwink:

It´s fun doing the ride and experiencing how it is without getting wet with that cold water and catching a cold! Been there - done that with Kali River Rapids. :animwink:

I also have been there in the winter with no poncho. Let me tell you being in FL weather in December and January is a million times better than being in my home in Connecticut, even when you are a little wet :animwink:

Maria

It rained/drizzled almost the entire time I was there in August. I, and the other 8 people I was with, managed to deal without ponchos. It's really not hard. I just think the ponchos are a hassle and a HUGE rip off.

It depends on which park you are at when the heavy rain starts.... if you are in MK or The Studios is easy to walk indoors; Epcot is kinda easy to find some shelter if you don´t have a poncho -but for how long before you get bored and are ready to move to the next place...?

If you are in AK, you will be soaked for sure! :lol:

They are expensive, sure, but better safe than sorry when the rain is heavy! I don´t wanna get sick and ruin the rest of my vacation... :animwink:

Maria

I also have been there in the winter with no poncho. Let me tell you being in FL weather in December and January is a million times better than being in my home in Connecticut, even when you are a little wet :animwink:

aaahhh THAT makes a difference! :lol:

barnum42

On my first trip in 1987 I bought a poncho - they were clear then, with logos of Cinderella’s Castle and Spaceship Earth on the back.

I still have it and still use it. I was one of the few not in Yellow during September. Fortunately I rarely had to wear it. Most rain was short and light. But when it gets heavy I have photographic kit that needs protecting. I may be waterproof, but the cameras are not!

Also I was pushing my Mother in her wheelchair. When someone is sat down they make a much bigger target for the rain, so she would don hers whenever rain started.

As far as going on the water rides whilst wearing them - not everyone has a masochistic tendency to get soaked, so if they choose to wear them in order to enjoy the ride then fair enough. (Even if it does defeat the object of the ride).

DDuckFan130

I myself do not see the big deal with the ponchos on the water rides...well, on a hot day i can understand i love to get soaked on splash mountain...but we went last nov and it was freeezing but my little cousins wanted to experience the ride anyway and were forced to wear ponchos...if its really cold like it was then that shouldnt prevent u from experiencing a ride like that, esp when 99% of the ride is about the theme and not the drop...so if we're gonna experience it well better safe than sorry...dont wanna have sick ppl while at wdw that would suck

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
If it's not raining can you still find the ponchos in stores? Or do they only put them out when it's raining??

I know they're so darned expensive and I have always wondered if they jack the price up once it starts to rain or not. :drevil:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom