News Goodbye to The Grand Floridian Society Orchestra

wannabeBelle

On a related note, has anyone heard what happened to the new and improved (?) band that went into POFQ after they redid Scat Cats ( Which looks lovely BTW) and had gotten rid of Jason and Billy who performed there when they were still right off the main lobby? I saw one or two videos of them when they first started then absolutely nothing. Marie

TrainChasers

Advertisement
Uh....if the Chairman of Parks and Resorts has to "justify" the cost of a rounding error atmosphere entertainment group in a single hotel at a single resort to the CEO and the Executive Chairman of the Company then his title is a complete joke and he really is an assistant manager.

Yes, yes and yes. 👏

While I love to imagine Chapek clutching his Anna and Elsa dolls demanding the orchestra be cut so he can have his precious IP based singalong back, if he is demanding the cuts than Josh has no power. If he isn’t involved then it was a decision made under Josh’s leadership.

I have nothing bad to say about Josh, but the employee morale that I saw at Disneyland was the worst I’ve ever seen under his leadership. I’m not sure what people are supposed to be impressed with other than he has a personality which compared to the Bob’s makes him look amazing.

Minnesota disney fan

This is very sad news! It was the "thing" that made GF special and set it apart from other resorts. It truely made the Grand Floridian "Grand".
It is sad when the little extra magical touches that disney used to do, just because, are becoming extinct. Those little touches were a special part of WDW and set them apart from other theme park destinations.

LSLS

Honestly, I don't think RobWDW1971 is off here. If everyone blamed Chapek for the park cuts in the same role, I'm not sure you can still say it's all Chapek and say Josh isn't deserving of blame. I have no inside knowledge of anything, but I do think that's a fair point.

UNCgolf

Honestly, I don't think RobWDW1971 is off here. If everyone blamed Chapek for the park cuts in the same role, I'm not sure you can still say it's all Chapek and say Josh isn't deserving of blame. I have no inside knowledge of anything, but I do think that's a fair point.

He's not. D'Amaro probably did decide to dump the orchestra (or more likely someone under D'Amaro and then he approved it, although it's certainly possible they weren't considered a big enough item for it to even come across his desk). But it's not as though he just randomly decided to fire them out of the blue; I'm sure he was given an order by Chapek to cut a certain percentage of spending in certain areas and that was one of the easiest things to eliminate. The same is true for when Chapek was head of P&R -- although he was a disaster for parks fans (and fans of theming at the resorts), I don't think he was some sort of cartoon villain intentionally trying to eliminate as much as possible. Most of it was likely mandated. Not the specific cuts themselves, but the amount of money that needed to be cut from the budget.

Last edited:

techgeek

If you’re managing by spreadsheet, need to cut x% off an entertainment budget, and you hit ‘sort by’... cutting the orchestra looks like a perfectly rational decision. In fact, it may look like the only rational decision.

The problem here is the overwhelming tendency of Disney to manage by spreadsheet in the last 20 years. Now, when it’s crisis mode, there’s no institutional ability to manage any other way. Almost like a finance guy was running the company, not a creative....

Lilofan

He's not. D'Amaro likely did decide to dump the orchestra (or more likely someone under D'Amaro and then he approved it, although it's certainly possible they weren't considered a big enough item for it to even come across his desk). But it's not as though he just randomly decided to fire them out of the blue; I'm sure he was given an order by Chapek to cut a certain percentage of spending in certain areas and that was one of the easiest things to eliminate. The same is true for when Chapek was head of P&R -- although he was a disaster, I don't think he was some sort of cartoon villain intentionally trying to eliminate as much as possible. Most of it was likely mandated. Not the specific cuts themselves, but the amount of money that needed to be cut from the budget.
It's incredible that these execs that some think have done poorly move in the organization into higher level positions. The board surely must like them.

wannabeBelle

If you’re managing by spreadsheet, need to cut x% off an entertainment budget, and you hit ‘sort by’... cutting the orchestra looks like a perfectly rational decision. In fact, it may look like the only rational decision.

The problem here is the overwhelming tendency of Disney to manage by spreadsheet in the last 20 years. Now, when it’s crisis mode, there’s no institutional ability to manage any other way. Almost like a finance guy was running the company, not a creative....
Absolutely so. The only problem is that value definitely counts too. For example yes you can get a cheeseburger from McDonalds or Burger King for less than you are paying for a filet mignon steak, however the value of the latter is greater than the former. Especially when you are charging filet mignon prices for said cheeseburger. Marie

KBLovesDisney

Take out the Heart and Soul of the song and all you've got is someone plucking at the keys.

Disney is losing (or has mostly lost) its soul

bunnm09

Man, just saw that YeeHaa Bob at Riverside got laid off too. After 23 years playing there. I really hope he’s able to return when Port Orleans reopens, he had made so many great memories for us and is why we stay at Port

larryz

Today's Maytag Repairman
Premium Member
Uh....if the Chairman of Parks and Resorts has to "justify" the cost of a rounding error atmosphere entertainment group in a single hotel at a single resort to the CEO and the Executive Chairman of the Company then his title is a complete joke and he really is an assistant manager.

Not sure why this concept is controversial. The Chairman of the P&R owns the decisions in the P&R - all of them. Good, bad, and indifferent. It's astonishing how people will twist themselves into logic pretzels to blame one person and protect another all because of their fan perceptions.
Yeah, but half-a-million here and half-a-million there, pretty soon you're talking about real money...

wannabeBelle

If they were laid off as part of this action then I can understand that - it means that it's not a permanent removal but purely a funding issue. Though I think they're going to be hard pressed to get people back into the GF at GF prices without them.
Disney has a history over the past few years of removing entertainment and either replacing it with something inferior ( Im looking at you lumberjacks!!) or sometimes not replacing it at all. Off Kilter and a few other acts were removed 6 years ago, replaced with the Lumberjacks, which didnt go well and they have been having different acts over there since. Some I have liked a lot (Alberta Bound!!) others not so much. Mulch, Sweat & Shears was removed 5 years ago and never replaced. This was not an isolated incident for sure. Im sure Covid didnt help but this pattern of eliminating entertainment was happening way before our current difficulties. Marie

Top Bottom