Goodbye Poly?

rob0519

I would be ok with this.

I'm sorry, but I would not be ok with this. In my opinion the increase in lodging rooms (Bay Lake Tower, the new DVC at the Grand Floridian, Art of Animation and the already announced Four Seasons at Golden Oak) without adding significant capacity in the parks is a mistake.

Even with the Fantasyland expansion, I feel the Magic Kingdom will always have that "too crowded" feeling. WDW is one of the most desired vacation destinations in the world. If more rooms are built, more people will be there to pay for them. Unfortunately, once they get there, the experience may no longer be magical.

rob0519

I really hope that aint true, look what they did to the contemporary when they remodeled it! they took away the openness of the one side of the grand concourse and cluttered it up with a cheap disney store and dungeon like arcade. That area used to be really beautiful and they killed it. I can see them doing the same to the poly.

With the exception of maybe the new haunted mansion, everytime disney tries to fix something, or re-do something they somehow manage to kill the original beauty of what they are fixing

I couldn't agree with you more on the Contemporary. What they did to the concourse is an insult to the original design and layout.

CDavid

The Poly has the look, and the smell of a 1970's motor lodge. NOT the four star resort they're charging you for. I'm surprised they haven't capitalized on it's location, and views already.

While I know and understand (well, to a degree) the point you were trying to make, you have exaggerated to the point of being not just wrong, but wrong as wrong can be.

If you want to see a 1970's motor lodge drive down to U.S. 192 and look for the Knights Inn or maybe a Howard Johnson's - then take another look at the Polynesian. There is no comparison.

tikiman

The Poly has the look, and the smell of a 1970's motor lodge. NOT the four star resort they're charging you for. I'm surprised they haven't capitalized on it's location, and views already.

While your allowed your opinion it is not based on any fact. The fact is that the Polynesian has very little that you can even see that has not been replaced since the 90s and the rooms were completely gutted in 2002 (leaving nothing from the original construction other than the steel frame, so stating that anything looks or smells like 70's is just an opinion but no where near the facts. What does 70's motor lodge smell like anyway?

Beuford

I don't understand why people need to bash the place. There are plenty of people staying at the resort all the time who love it. For those who dont like it, stay somewhere else that meets your tastes and needs, that's why there are so many other resorts on property. Saying the place is a rundown 70's motel is a slap in the face to those who enjoy it. And how do you know what one smells like, perhaps its your choice of lodging you prefer? If that's your take, don't chime in next time please, you will upset the tiki gods. :fork:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm sorry, but I would not be ok with this. In my opinion the increase in lodging rooms (Bay Lake Tower, the new DVC at the Grand Floridian, Art of Animation and the already announced Four Seasons at Golden Oak) without adding significant capacity in the parks is a mistake.

Even with the Fantasyland expansion, I feel the Magic Kingdom will always have that "too crowded" feeling. WDW is one of the most desired vacation destinations in the world. If more rooms are built, more people will be there to pay for them. Unfortunately, once they get there, the experience may no longer be magical.
You are correct in that MK will always feel too crowded simply because everyone goes there. but, WDW park capacity, as it sits, far exceeds the resort capacity. Most of the guests come from off property. Adding 4000 rooms to the WDW resorts inventory would barely be a blip on the radar for the parks.

RunnerEd

While I know and understand (well, to a degree) the point you were trying to make, you have exaggerated to the point of being not just wrong, but wrong as wrong can be.

If you want to see a 1970's motor lodge drive down to U.S. 192 and look for the Knights Inn or maybe a Howard Johnson's - then take another look at the Polynesian. There is no comparison.

I know you can't do this, but if you strip the manicured lawns, tiki torches, background music, and other themeing elements, I think the comparison to a 1970's motor lodge isn't too far off. With that said, after eating at the Poly, we love to stroll the grounds to the TTC instead of catching transportation directly from the resort because it is so beautiful. If they do a full blown renovation, I hope they keep this same level of charm.

YankeeMouse

Having just stayed there for the first time in years (we usually stay at AKL, WL or POFQ), the grounds and landscaping are top notch at giving you the magical Disney themed feeling. The rooms do not feel that luxurious for the price charged, but the themeing is what we pay for there. Having said that, I remember staying at the Poly in the 70's and what has happened to the lagoon should really be addressed.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I don't know what will be the future of the Poly...

I do know that twenty-five years ago, one could lay on the beach and swim in the lagoon. Now it looks like Chernobyl. (Or, I suppose, Fukushima for our younger readers). That green zombie-plant-thingy is moving ashore, threatening to engulf the rusty beach swing and other furniture. (...and any unsuspecting tourists who may have fallen asleep on the Poly's lazy beach benches. Run, you fools, run!)

317244_10150335378449091_590464090_8535681_1461557943_n.jpg
The green zombie plant thingy that you are referring to is called torpedo grass. It is a very hard to control weed taking multiple treatments of glyphosate to kill. More often than not you kill everything around it and the stuff just comes back. On the plus side it is very effective in stopping erosion.

Polydweller

The green zombie plant thingy that you are referring to is called torpedo grass. It is a very hard to control weed taking multiple treatments of glyphosate to kill. More often than not you kill everything around it and the stuff just comes back. On the plus side it is very effective in stopping erosion.

Also, that picture is of the little used beach in front of Tahaiti. It is Not representative of the main beach which I'm looking at now. The post by Empress Lily is a misrepresentation to say the least.

artbell2

What was the reason for Disney to kill the beach area? Or did Hurricane Andrew take care of that? The way the grass slope looks it appears they don't want anyone to swim in the lagoon period.

Mike

Polydweller

What was the reason for Disney to kill the beach area? Or did Hurricane Andrew take care of that? The way the grass slope looks it appears they don't want anyone to swim in the lagoon period.

Mike

The main beach areas have not been killed and looks great. They now have movies and a campfire on the main beach e ery night and it is in great shape. The no swimming is not unique to the Poly. It's not available anywhere in WDW that I know of. From what I'm told, it's a combination of regulations on water quality, the Florida amoebas, water traffic, and liability issues.

As far as any re-build, I've tried to get straight answers this week from those CMs I know and, as Tikiman's says, you really don't get one. Lots of thoughts about what's going on. We'll just have to wait.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Mike
Just FYI.... there is only one section of the beach that looks like this. The rest is nothing more than sand and water.

There is a myriad of reasons that Disney does not want people swiming in the lagoon. The one that gets the most attention is a little amoeba named Naegleria fowleri. This amoeba lives in the sediment on the bottom when water temperatures exceed 85 degrees. When the sediment gets stirred up by people walking in the water along the shore line the amoeba will get into the water and can then get into your nasal passages if you are swimming in the water. If it does this you are typically presented with flu like symptoms followed by death.

Jon_in_NC

Aulani

It may be years off, but I really have the gut feeling that WDW will see a clone of Aulani from Hawai'i. Certainly not on the same scale, but I would not be surprised to see an Aulani-type tower with maybe some of the longhouses remaining as upscale DVC suites. With the prime location there, it seems the room per land used ratio is too disparate for Disney to not add more premium (read expensive) rooms on that desirable land.

tikiman

Then maybe they can turn back on the wave machine ;) Oh wait, they took it out.

By the way when I took that photo of the Tahiti beach I took a photo of the the beach in front of Hawaii and over near Sunset Pointe the same stuff is growing anc coming up to the sand in the corner. There are three beaches at the Polynesian and the one in front of Hawaii is the shortest with the Tahiti beach being the second longest and the beach over at Luau Cove being the longest. I always thought the Tahiti beach was the nicest looking and the best one to relax on until I turned the corner and saw what have become of it.

If they do start from scratch I would not be surprised to see them fill in the marina and part of the lagoon to expand. I was told they are filling in part of the lagoon at the GF DVC but interestingly enough they are putting water front parking :shrug:

captainkidd

In response to the Poly looking and smelling like a Motor Lodge from the 70's, that's ridiculous. The grounds are absolutely beautiful. The only real issue with the longhouses is the elevators. They're really small. The rooms I'll admit aren't luxurious, but they're the best themed on property as well as the biggest.

tikiman

In response to the Poly looking and smelling like a Motor Lodge from the 70's, that's ridiculous. The grounds are absolutely beautiful. The only real issue with the longhouses is the elevators. They're really small. The rooms I'll admit aren't luxurious, but they're the best themed on property as well as the biggest.

I don't get the comments either otherthan some just like to bash certain resorts. There are some resorts I don't care for and would never stay in but I just don't comment because it is a slap in the face to those who like it. It is like telling them they are stupid to want to stay there.

I am not sure how the Polynesian rooms are any less luxurious than any other rooms since the Deluxes all have the same amenities. The Polyensian even uses the same beds and linens as the GF. I did tour the new suites and they are very luxurious. Maybe that is the look the new rooms will be going for. It is very different than what it is now.

BigKahuna

My family loves the Polynesian, and we look forward to any renovations/remodels Disney has in store for it! Think of the possibilities-
maybe some over-water bungalows? Can't wait to see what is in store....and if it's going to be DVC then here is my check! :animwink:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom