Golden Age of the Magic Kingdom?

bork

I would say 1994 was the end of Epcot's golden age. Before 1994, you still had the Odyssey Restaurant, Sunrise Terrace Restaurant, WoL was open and still rather new, Captain EO and the original JII, Kitchen Kabaret, Communicore, Double-decker busses in World Showcase, WoM, and Horizons.

General Grizz

I agree. The magic is not fully found in the attractions. The Cast is half the reason I visit the parks.

Still -- I don't think the actions by management in the more recent years have given the Cast as high of a spirit.

SystemXpert

The magic is what you believe in your heart. Yes, I know this sounds like a whimpy thing to say. Times change, attractions change, employees change, but the spirit is the same. Sure, Disney is a giant money machine, but does that really matter when you take the big plunge in pirates carribean? Does it really matter that the railroad and skyway are gone when you see the image of a ghost sitting next to you in the Haunted House? The magic is there, you just have to relax and enjoy!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
SystemXpert said:
The magic is what you believe in your heart. Yes, I know this sounds like a whimpy thing to say. Times change, attractions change, employees change, but the spirit is the same. Sure, Disney is a giant money machine, but does that really matter when you take the big plunge in pirates carribean? Does it really matter that the railroad and skyway are gone when you see the image of a ghost sitting next to you in the Haunted House? The magic is there, you just have to relax and enjoy!
Well put.

MKCP 1985

Ha Ha Ha, what a question. The golden age of the Magic Kingdom?
It was great in the 70s, great in the 80s and 90s and is great today.

My personal favorite time period would have to be 1986, the summer I met my fellow cast member who became my wife, but that is the point - the park has always been great. What makes it "golden" is your own stage in life when you appreciate it the most.

It is hard to say at what point maximum entertainment came from the attractions, parades, merchandise and cast members. Opening Splash Mountain was a very, very big deal. The re-opening of Tomorrowland with Buzz, Timekeeper, and AE was huge.

I'll stay with 1986, my username. Tinkerbell's flight was still new (second year), we had submarines at 20K with Mr. Toad straight across. The Magic Kingdom was open until 1:00 a.m. every day of summer, everything was open when the park was open and the Main Street Electrical Parade was going. You like boats? We had Davy Crockett canoes and Mike Fink Keelboats along with the big paddlewheel boat. Popcorn was an easy $1 per unit, no napkins, no drinks. The biggest thing in all of this was the late hours and all areas of the park open from opening to closing. Golden. :D

Bigg Robb

guess it seems that the emphasis of "Timelessness" isnt working as great as you would think. i love Disney world now, never been before June 2003, but have been there 4 times since, i love it.

Bigg Robb

well, in books ive read, one of Walt's main emphasis was timelessness. He wanted there never to be a differance of time when you went. he always wanted you to feel young. And as im explaining this I relize that it makes no since in my last post to mention this :hammer: , so please ignore it. :lol:

estherhead

I think the Golden Age is whenever you have young children. I remember my parents telling stories to other parents when the parents would say, "Why take your five year old, they'll never remember," and my dad would say, "But I'll never forget. I'll never forget the wonder in her eyes and how she would say, 'That's real, right daddy?'"

Now I've taken my own small kids. My little girls sincerely believe that they KNOW Belle, Cinderella, and Buzz. They have personally met them and have photos and autographs. One whole day of mommy and daddy being interested in the same things as the kids.

The golden age is at that moment before kids know the difference between reality and imagination. Walt Disney completely understood that moment. And Magic Kingdom is his perfect gift to preschoolers everywhere. No matter the little changes that are made here and there. And there are plenty of special quiet places left. Like Belle's story time and Tom Sawyer Island and Ariel's Grotto.

Esther

TheOneVader

Now, I admit that a lot of things have changes, some for the better, and some fore the worst, but you guys put to much stress on little things changing. WDW has to evolve, and it's magical no matter when you go. I'd say, the golden age is between 1971-Present.

speck76

If the American Adventure has taught me anything, it is that the golden age never was the present age.

It is really easy to look back 10 years and say to yourself "that was better than today", but was it really? What you remember is often embellished to a point, you will remember the good, forget the mediocre, and unless the bad is traumatic, it will soon be forgotten.

I do think that some dark ages existed a few years back, due in part to the economic turndown, and in another part to Pressler, but I think those days are in the past, and the future is bright.

GymLeaderPhil

speck76 said:
It is really easy to look back 10 years and say to yourself "that was better than today", but was it really? What you remember is often embellished to a point, you will remember the good, forget the mediocre, and unless the bad is traumatic, it will soon be forgotten.
*Cough* Mickey Mania *Cough*

DisneyFan 2000

speck76 said:
It is really easy to look back 10 years and say to yourself "that was better than today", but was it really?

Two words: Original rides. :animwink:

I like things how they are but it could be better. At least stop the cloning... Just my humble opinion.. :)

speck76

DisneyFan 2000 said:
Two words: Original rides. :animwink:

I like things how they are but it could be better. At least stop the cloning... Just my humble opinion.. :)

Cloning has been part of WDW since the day the Magic Kingdom opened.

DisneyFan 2000

Of course, but now management just clone INSTEAD of thinking up original rides... (In my eyes, E:E is also only half original).

The moment they show me something brand new I'll be shutting up. :wave:

*still waiting for TLM dark ride and/or Monsters Inc.*

speck76

DisneyFan 2000 said:
Of course, but now management just clone INSTEAD of thinking up original rides... (In my eyes, E:E is also only half original).

The moment they show me something brand new I'll be shutting up. :wave:

*still waiting for TLM dark ride and/or Monsters Inc.*

How is EE only half original?

Mission Space....not a clone
Philharmagic...not a clone
Wishes....not a clone
SGE....not a clone
LMA...clone
Cinderellabration....clone (kind of)
Soarin....clone

RnRC....not a clone
Buzz Lightyear....not a clone
Pooh....not a clone
Aladdin spinnner....not a clone
Dinoland spinner....not a clone
crappy dinoland RC......not a clone

Seems like clones are the exception, not the rule.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
i loved the penny arcade.............. i was really fun playing those old games.

i wonder what they did with all of them?

speck76

jmaxwell007 said:
i loved the penny arcade.............. i was really fun playing those old games.

i wonder what they did with all of them?

a few are in the train station, others in Casey's

DisneyFan 2000

speck76 said:
How is EE only half original?

I'll clarify later. Kinda busy right now.

Mission Space - True, but not up to Disney standards imo.
Philharmagic - Yep. Ain't a clone.
Wishes - Really? Imo just an up-to-date version of Believe.
SGE - A dumbed down AE (that's what I've heard from the reviews). A clone in my book.
RnRC - It's being cloned, doesn't matter where it debuted first.
Buzz Lightyear - Read above.
Pooh - . . .
Aladdin spinnner - Off the shelf
Dinoland spinner - Off the shelf
crappy dinoland RC - Off the shelf

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom