Going to WDW with best friend & no kids!

Laura

Premium Member
how interesting and selfish are you. Now if you weren't married or a couple without kids great. But to go and then throw it up in your kids face with photos and the like when you get back, how much more do you think kids who aren't infants, are going to take?

its either all for one in a family or not.

:ROFLOL:

We started taking "family" Disney vacations when my youngest daughter was born 4 1/2 years ago. In those 4 1/2 years I've taken 10 vacations to Disney World. The kids have been on EIGHT of those vacations. Yes, EIGHT vacations to Walt Disney World in 4 1/2 years. I feel no guilt for the fact that they did not come with me on 2 of the trips.

And guess what - in a few days I'm going on another trip. And guess what - the kids aren't coming, and neither is my husband! I'm going with my dad and we're going to ride rollercoasters the whole time and stay out late. These are things you can't do when you have little ones with you.

The thing that is great about Disney is you can have fun with and WITHOUT the kids.

I think my kids have been enough times in 4 1/2 years that I can take these trips without them without them being deprived of anything.

By the way, they both know that I'm going to Disney without them and they don't care! They're excited for me to go on the rollercoasters.

awalkinthepark

I would definitely plan one night at PI....Adventurer's Club and Comedy Warehouse would be fun....maybe pop into 8 traxx to dance a bit.

I would probably look for a list of hidden surprises in Disney ....and try to find them..whether it's a secret trail, a hidden mickey, an odd tribute incorporated into the design of an area or ride.

Just being able to think about what you are doing while shopping sounds like fun....and you know what else is fun? You know those light up bouncy balls in the bins? Take one and slam it on top of the others and watch them all go nuts...I can't do that any more because I am trying to set a good example for my kids...but I really...really..want to..lol.

I would buy some mouse ears and wear them everyday.

EpcotGrl

Have a great time! Try a spa visit--just a mani-pedi or a massage can feel like so much more! Enjoy the "adult" bits--take a tour, drink around the world, check out Downtown Disney & PI. Play it by ear and feel great about doing it! You deserve it! :)

eroyee

As long as you are at POR then go to the piano bar at nite and enjoy Piano Bob. too much fun........and take some of the tours.....and SHOP.......

tinkfan05

Original Poster
Gosh. unless your kids are real young, I couldn't do it. But if you have kids that are old enough like 8,9,10, and you don't take them, well, don't take it out on them when you get pounded when you get home.

my kids, are ADULTS. and after having a discussion on vacation, my kids decided not to go to WDW this year. One is going to London, the other on a mission trip.

So that was the end of going to WDW. End of discussion. why? because its not the same without your kids.

how interesting and selfish are you. Now if you weren't married or a couple without kids great. But to go and then throw it up in your kids face with photos and the like when you get back, how much more do you think kids who aren't infants, are going to take?

Now you know why the divorce rate is so high.

Oh and I have been married 29 years as of last week. Its either Family or no go.

but this is a great way to cause big problems at home. Next your husband will take a vacation by HIMSELF. Alone.

gees. what happens when he gets "lonely"?

yep. you go and have a great time.

you want to go on vacation as a couple, then go to a place where its not condusive to children. But don't go to DISNEY, and then gloat on the kids for the next year or two. want to go to Vegas, fine. New York, great, some all enclusive resort, you bet..

But not WDW. too many repercussions.

and then you will blame the kids for acting up.

what a great idea.

Just for your information, I am taking my kids and my husband to Disney in May of 09. This is just a little extra trip for my friend and I. My husband does go on small getaways to car shows every year with his dad, so it's my turn. I don't feel selfish at all. My family goes on a large vacation TOGETHER every year, but every now and then you deserve a little away time.

teacup317

WDW without kids - Way to Go!!!!

Congratulations to tinkfan05!

bjlc57 is way.........off base...........:brick:

I have been married for 31 years and my husband and I have taken vacations with the kids and without the kids. He goes hunting (for deer), I go shopping with my best friend for the weekend. He goes out with his friends, I go out with mine. We go shopping together and out with friends together. You have to be individuals to be a married couple.

As for the original question - I would go to a character breakfast and whoop it up with the characters. I would sing with the barbershop quartet. I would ride the Tower of Terror. I would even flirt and sing along with Bob at the piano bar at POR. But most of all I would love my husband and knows he loves me no matter what. The key to a successful marriage is loving trust beyond all else. Tinkfan05, have a great time. Be sure to write a review for us all to read. Wish I was going with you.:wave:

tigsmom

I have been married for 31 years and my husband and I have taken vacations with the kids and without the kids. He goes hunting (for deer), I go shopping with my best friend for the weekend. He goes out with his friends, I go out with mine. We go shopping together and out with friends together. You have to be individuals to be a married couple.

As for the original question - I would go to a character breakfast and whoop it up with the characters. I would sing with the barbershop quartet. I would ride the Tower of Terror. I would even flirt and sing along with Bob at the piano bar at POR. But most of all I would love my husband and knows he loves me no matter what. The key to a successful marriage is loving trust beyond all else. Tinkfan05, have a great time. Be sure to write a review for us all to read. Wish I was going with you.:wave:

And bring back tons of photos for us. :wave:

KingStefan

I was in Orlando alone on a business trip, and I really enjoyed doing the World Showcase alone. I went at my own pace and I did what I wanted. I happened to have an annual pass then, and I spent most of my free time at Epcot. Of course the F&W festival was on, but nevertheless, I think you can still have a good time at the WS without it. Really getting into the food and wine and beer, and the shopping, is something that's really difficult with kids.

If the F&W wasn't on, I probably would also have spent time at Downtown Disney, and maybe resort hopping.

Of course I made a trip to the MK - had to see the castle - but I didn't spend a long time there. I missed AK and DS - just not enough time. If I had just a little more time, I would have tried to hit all the parks - that's just an obsession with me. There's something a bit more adult oriented at each.

Have fun! Have a magical trip!

(And pay no attention to bjlc!)

shoppingnut

So if I want to go with just my kids and not my husband (who really doesn't like disney) what does that make me? :lookaroun

Someone who has a DH who is smart enough to stay home and not ruin your and the kids enjoyment of a Disney vacation because he wouldn't be happy there.

I can't imagine what bjlc would think of me who has NO kids or husband and I go with my friends all the time. We do whatever we want, nice sit down dinners, shows, tours and for me anyway shopping at the outlets off property.

BigKahuna

Wow!

Gosh. unless your kids are real young, I couldn't do it. But if you have kids that are old enough like 8,9,10, and you don't take them, well, don't take it out on them when you get pounded when you get home.

my kids, are ADULTS. and after having a discussion on vacation, my kids decided not to go to WDW this year. One is going to London, the other on a mission trip.

So that was the end of going to WDW. End of discussion. why? because its not the same without your kids.

Oh and I have been married 29 years as of last week. Its either Family or no go.

but this is a great way to cause big problems at home. Next your husband will take a vacation by HIMSELF. Alone.

you want to go on vacation as a couple, then go to a place where its not condusive to children. But don't go to DISNEY, and then gloat on the kids for the next year or two. want to go to Vegas, fine. New York, great, some all enclusive resort, you bet..

what a great idea.

I have been married 15 years, and my wife and I have gone to Universal Florida without the kids (stayed at Portofino) and we have also gone on seperate vacations with friends-and we have been to Disney with the kids many, many times! I have also been to Disney without the kids too-and although not as much fun-still had a great time! So I guess I am truly
evil! :goodnevil

MinnieLee

We did Disney on our honeymoon, with the kids when they were small, went with them when they marched in Magic Kingdom when they were in high school and now for the past 11 years we have done the Food & Wine, just the two of us. The first year we went we decided that we were going to either kill each other or have a great time and we had a GREAT time. There is so much for adults to do. Take your girlfriend and indulge yourself at the spa at the Floridian or Saratoga Springs. Treat yourselves to a really nice dinner in a restaurant that you know the kids would not enjoy. Enjoy what you two want to do. Relax in EPCOT World Showcase (many kids are bored). Be a kid and have your picture with the characters. I'm a big kid so I love seeing all the characters. It's like the commercial where the mom becomes a kid. Its nice having that feeling and regrouping and then going home your routine. Sleep in!!! Most of all, ENJOY!!!!! Many of us are jealous. Have a great time!:wave:

daliseurat

My best friend and I have been Disney fanatics for quite a long time. Neither of our husbands understand the obsession we have with Disney. Both of our husbands have said "We've been to Disney enough times, we don't need to go there again". So my friend and I have decided to do a "girls" trip and go by ourselves! Neither of us have ever been to Disney without our kids, so this will be a real treat for us. We have decided not to stay at our usual Pop Century and have upgraded to POR because it looks quieter and a little more "grown up". Is there anything you would recommed we do that we would not normally do with the kids?

Good for you. My DW is not the fan I am. My DD is, but much too young to appreciate the things I like to do. I LOVED going to WDW alone. I would linger, take tours eat how I wanted to eat, enjoy MY schedule. I say really enjoy eating a dinner without being interrupted twenty times. Enjoy having a warm meal. Enjoy eating dessert without feeling guilty about it. Have that extra glass of wine you wouldn't in front of the kids. Go to the spa. Ride everything your kids can't or won't ride. It will make it so much nice when you return with kids. You won't feel like you're always MISSING something, because you will have done it. I'd love to go alone again. I'd love to just take my DD. And I absolutely CHERISH family time. But every once in a while we all need something for ourselves. Yeah, I'd feel guilty about going without DD. But I'd find something else to do with her that would make up for it. Something that perhaps she really likes to do that I don't. ENjoy!

daliseurat

what a great idea.

You know, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. But you really are crossing the line being so judgmental about people you don't even know. I cherish my family vacations. The idea of going to WDW without the family feels so selfish to me. But that's because for me, sharing it with my family is part of the magic. But going alone, or with someone who appreciates it as much as I do is another kind of magic. And why shouldn't we get to have that sometimes if it's okay with our family? I'd love an opportunity to have another trip with a friend who shares my interests. My DW has very little interest in going to WDW ever. Why should I force her to go every time? Should I just give up my favorite place?

Now I'm certain the OP isn't doing this instead of a family vacation. I'm sure this trip is a special treat. The OP isn't going to flaunt it. And it certainly won't damage her kids, who are probably going to be in school anyway. You seriously need a reality check. You need to stop making so many crazy assumptions. You wouldn't do it. Okay, fine. No one's going to try to make you feel bad for it. So how about you extend that same courtesy before flaming people you don't even know.

figmentmom

Just for your information, I am taking my kids and my husband to Disney in May of 09. This is just a little extra trip for my friend and I. My husband does go on small getaways to car shows every year with his dad, so it's my turn. I don't feel selfish at all. My family goes on a large vacation TOGETHER every year, but every now and then you deserve a little away time.

You do NOT need to justify yourself! Part of being a family is recognizing AND RESPECTING everyone's need for a little space. Go with your friend, and have a great time! And when you go again with your family have a great time then, too! :wave:

I completely agree!!!

sweetpee_1993

that's my final post on this subject.

Final post. That would be nice.

Since my DH and I are going to WDW by ourselves for a week in May to celebrate our 15th year together I suppose I have some opinion on this. My sons are 10 & 11 years old. Both are great little men, good people, considerate, well-mannered, and do good in school. We've taken them to WDW 5 times in just under 5 years. I hardly think they are deprived in any way. This anniversary celebration trip in no way impacts whether we will be taking them again, either. If they work hard, keep the grades and attendance up in school, and be respectable people then their trip will happen.

We told the kids right away when we started planning. At first they kinda looked at us confused. My oldest said, "You would go without us?" This started a whole conversation, one they needed to hear, about marriage and taking time to nurture it. We explained to them that when people are married they have to maintain that relationship, that bond. Every now and then it's good for moms and dads to get away, spend time alone, reminisce about the things that brought them together to begin with. This is called a "healthy relationship". I think that taking time to go on a trip on our own will set an example for them for their lives and the importance of maintaining a health, happy marriage in order to strengthen the family as a whole. When we explained these things to them they both said, "Cool". Then they wanted to know where we were staying and what we had planned. The conversation soon turned to the next family trip, favorite memories from the past, etc. I'm still not seeing this as a horrible thing that's going to scar my children for the rest of their lives.

Another point to be made is the fact that we are adults and they are kids. We take every opportunity we get to point out to our sons that if you work hard in life anything is possible. If they have a problem with me doing something without them, tough noogies. I'm the adult. They are the kid. Someday they'll be the parent. As a parent my job is not to pet my children every moment of the day, live and breathe hanging on their every emotion. This teaches them that the world revolves around them. Boy, that would be one ruuuude awakening when they become adults and strike out on their own. The world revolves around nobody. If you want something do what it takes and earn it. What kind of disservice would I be doing them sending them out into a world that caters to nobody?

Bjlc57, what works for you is okay. What works for me is okay. What works for the OP is okay, too. Just because your experiences (with relatives, children, etc.) and life have shown you the direction that is right for you doesn't mean the same thing is right for me or anyone else. Different isn't wrong. It's just different. It is wrong, however, to berate people or push your opinions or negativity on others. Remember the Golden Rule...do unto others as you would have done to you. I have many opinions about the things you said (and mostly the manner in which you said them) but I won't speak as you did or make any attempt to have you feel like less of a person because of your feelings.

And please, understand that typing in all caps means yelling. It's also very rude to yell. :animwink:

Cane27

Final post. That would be nice.

Since my DH and I are going to WDW by ourselves for a week in May to celebrate our 15th year together I suppose I have some opinion on this. My sons are 10 & 11 years old. Both are great little men, good people, considerate, well-mannered, and do good in school. We've taken them to WDW 5 times in just under 5 years. I hardly think they are deprived in any way. This anniversary celebration trip in no way impacts whether we will be taking them again, either. If they work hard, keep the grades and attendance up in school, and be respectable people then their trip will happen.

We told the kids right away when we started planning. At first they kinda looked at us confused. My oldest said, "You would go without us?" This started a whole conversation, one they needed to hear, about marriage and taking time to nurture it. We explained to them that when people are married they have to maintain that relationship, that bond. Every now and then it's good for moms and dads to get away, spend time alone, reminisce about the things that brought them together to begin with. This is called a "healthy relationship". I think that taking time to go on a trip on our own will set an example for them for their lives and the importance of maintaining a health, happy marriage in order to strengthen the family as a whole. When we explained these things to them they both said, "Cool". Then they wanted to know where we were staying and what we had planned. The conversation soon turned to the next family trip, favorite memories from the past, etc. I'm still not seeing this as a horrible thing that's going to scar my children for the rest of their lives.

Another point to be made is the fact that we are adults and they are kids. We take every opportunity we get to point out to our sons that if you work hard in life anything is possible. If they have a problem with me doing something without them, tough noogies. I'm the adult. They are the kid. Someday they'll be the parent. As a parent my job is not to pet my children every moment of the day, live and breathe hanging on their every emotion. This teaches them that the world revolves around them. Boy, that would be one ruuuude awakening when they become adults and strike out on their own. The world revolves around nobody. If you want something do what it takes and earn it. What kind of disservice would I be doing them sending them out into a world that caters to nobody?

Bjlc57, what works for you is okay. What works for me is okay. What works for the OP is okay, too. Just because your experiences (with relatives, children, etc.) and life have shown you the direction that is right for you doesn't mean the same thing is right for me or anyone else. Different isn't wrong. It's just different. It is wrong, however, to berate people or push your opinions or negativity on others. Remember the Golden Rule...do unto others as you would have done to you. I have many opinions about the things you said (and mostly the manner in which you said them) but I won't speak as you did or make any attempt to have you feel like less of a person because of your feelings.

And please, understand that typing in all caps means yelling. It's also very rude to yell. :animwink:

My wife and I are celebrating our ninth anniversary this weekend at Disney. Part of the promise we made to our minister was to continue to date each other. Our kids understand. Heck, we were there in September, November, and December.The last thing you want is to be great parents, send them into adulthood, and then look at each other and say "You know what, somewhere along the line, I lost you."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom