Going to WDW with best friend & no kids!

tinkfan05

Original Poster
My best friend and I have been Disney fanatics for quite a long time. Neither of our husbands understand the obsession we have with Disney. Both of our husbands have said "We've been to Disney enough times, we don't need to go there again". So my friend and I have decided to do a "girls" trip and go by ourselves! Neither of us have ever been to Disney without our kids, so this will be a real treat for us. We have decided not to stay at our usual Pop Century and have upgraded to POR because it looks quieter and a little more "grown up". Is there anything you would recommed we do that we would not normally do with the kids?

Cane27

Yes, EVERYTHING. My wife and I will be there the 25th and we are leaving the kids with their grandparents. We're so evil:fork:

I can't wait...:sohappy:

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Oh, you're going to LOVE it! :D

Take the time to do all the little things that you never get the chance to enjoy with Husbands and children in tow. Take lots of pictures and be sure to act like you're kids again.

(Also, drinking around the world is fun too... :lookaroun :lol: )

sweetpee_1993

Segway Around the World! It so rocks!

My DH loves Disney (prob'ly not quite as much as me :D) so I doubt I'd ever go without him. We *are* going without our 2 kids in May, tho. We have the Keys to the Kingdom tour planned. We've scheduled several meals later in the evening which isn't something we normally do. I can't wait! I think the kidless trip will make our boys take us more serious when we tell them they have to earn good grades and keep up attendance to earn their trips. Now they see that Mom & Dad can and will go without them.

brucie

AWESOME!! You are going to have a great time, I have never done it with kids!! But I love it!! You have to do the Keys to the Kingdom tour at Magic Kingdom, it's awesome they take you behind the scenes and tell you all sorts of things you would never know, It's a pretty full day so you should plan for 2 days at MK so you can get all of your stuff done then take the tour, and the tour includes rides (with no line) and lunch. I think it's $65.00 ea but well worth it! It's a perfect time for you to go because kids can't go, you have to be at least 16! Im Jealous!

figmentmom

Linger in all the places that appeal to YOU two, not the kids - mosey through the World Showcase, shop, try on perfume in France, have a margarita in Mexico - you get the picture. :D

WL Fan

I'm so jealous! My bestest friend and I talk about going someday, who knows? I'd love to linger in the Magic Kingdom after Wishes without having to try and hurry back to put the little ones in bed, even if it's just to stroll through the shops and be on the last bus out!

Have a great time.

SallyShine

I went with 3 girlfriends in the fall and we had a blast. We shopped, ALOT! We had planned on going out at night and maybe trying PI for the first time, but we were so tired we just couldn't do it. We did go to MNSSHP and had a great time. You will be suprised that you'll still want to do the things you do with your kids. You'll also find you feel a little guilty being there without them. But, you'll get over it pretty quickly.

bjlc57

couldn't do it.

Gosh. unless your kids are real young, I couldn't do it. But if you have kids that are old enough like 8,9,10, and you don't take them, well, don't take it out on them when you get pounded when you get home.

my kids, are ADULTS. and after having a discussion on vacation, my kids decided not to go to WDW this year. One is going to London, the other on a mission trip.

So that was the end of going to WDW. End of discussion. why? because its not the same without your kids.

how interesting and selfish are you. Now if you weren't married or a couple without kids great. But to go and then throw it up in your kids face with photos and the like when you get back, how much more do you think kids who aren't infants, are going to take?

its either all for one in a family or not.

Now you know why the divorce rate is so high.

Oh and I have been married 29 years as of last week. Its either Family or no go.

but this is a great way to cause big problems at home. Next your husband will take a vacation by HIMSELF. Alone.

gees. what happens when he gets "lonely"?

yep. you go and have a great time.

you want to go on vacation as a couple, then go to a place where its not condusive to children. But don't go to DISNEY, and then gloat on the kids for the next year or two. want to go to Vegas, fine. New York, great, some all enclusive resort, you bet..

But not WDW. too many repercussions.

and then you will blame the kids for acting up.

what a great idea.

lilclerk

Wow, way to rain on her parade.

I think it's great you two are going by yourselves. It's healthy to vacation without your family once in a while. Sometimes family is the cause of stress =) Lots of people here go to WDW without their kids for a quick getaway, and I'm sure she won't gloat about it to her kids. That's terrible.
I'm sure you'll have a blast and that your kids won't regret you... as long as you take them next time, of course ;)

MouseMadness

I would like to assume that's a joke.
blink.gif

Sadly I know that's not the case. :lol: :rolleyes:

maggiegrace1

Gosh. unless your kids are real young, I couldn't do it. But if you have kids that are old enough like 8,9,10, and you don't take them, well, don't take it out on them when you get pounded when you get home.

my kids, are ADULTS. and after having a discussion on vacation, my kids decided not to go to WDW this year. One is going to London, the other on a mission trip.

So that was the end of going to WDW. End of discussion. why? because its not the same without your kids.
Of course it is not the same with out the kids but it can be just as fun and enjoyable...Are you angry that your kids are going to those places without you?..How dare they?:rolleyes:
how interesting and selfish are you. Now if you weren't married or a couple without kids great. But to go and then throw it up in your kids face with photos and the like when you get back, how much more do you think kids who aren't infants, are going to take?
Well to be honest..you are the parents..you make the decisions...

Well then why are you not going with them on their trips?

all for one right?

Oh and I have been married 29 years as of last week. Its either Family or no go.

but this is a great way to cause big problems at home. Next your husband will take a vacation by HIMSELF. Alone.

Umm if he is a faithful trusting loving husband and he is away by himself or with friends and gets "lonely" well then he will call his wife and talk to her..:shrug:

you want to go on vacation as a couple, then go to a place where its not condusive to children. But don't go to DISNEY, and then gloat on the kids for the next year or two. want to go to Vegas, fine. New York, great, some all enclusive resort, you bet..
Who says they are going to gloat on the kids?
You are making no sense at all

Like what?

You are the parents..if you can not do something without your kids because of fear that they will be angry and cause problems well then it seems like they are the ones in control and not you..:shrug:

what a great idea.

WOW!

Um...every one needs a break..every one needs time away to have "me" time..

Just because you have children does not mean your life ends.

It seems like it is time for you to be the one in control and not your kids.

maggiegrace1

To the OP...Do whatever you want and have a blast..:)

Get some drinks and sit on the beach at the Poly and watch the fireworks....eat places you never would with the kids...Relax and enjoy!

tigsmom

My best friend and I have been Disney fanatics for quite a long time. Neither of our husbands understand the obsession we have with Disney. Both of our husbands have said "We've been to Disney enough times, we don't need to go there again". So my friend and I have decided to do a "girls" trip and go by ourselves! Neither of us have ever been to Disney without our kids, so this will be a real treat for us. We have decided not to stay at our usual Pop Century and have upgraded to POR because it looks quieter and a little more "grown up". Is there anything you would recommed we do that we would not normally do with the kids?

Everything and anything!!

Eat at the restaurant you always wanted to, but couldn't with the kids. Go to the shows, go in the rides, see the parades...anything you can and have the desire to.

Can't get away without the kids yet, but I look forward to my first all adult trip. :cool:

awalkinthepark

what a great idea.

I'm pretty sure the OP is much more secure in herself and her relationships to be able to 'let go' and time for herself..even if it is WDW.

My husband is one who takes offense if I want to go the movies by myself or with friends, because it could have been 'couple time'. Well let me tell you that type of smothering behavior stemming from HIS insecurity IS going to land him in divorce court sooner rather than later. The needs (me-you-us-them-family)have to be balanced and sadly some parents forget about themselves and become martyrs for their children and become bitter when the children move on to adulthood.

Eyorefan

Wow, someone has some serious issues.:eek:

To the OP... Go and have a great time. Do all things your kids might find "boring" and make sure you do the things that would be "too scarry". Take in all of the World Showcase, grab some sushi, you might want to do a tour or two. Most of all relax and enjoy the time away. :wave:

bjlc57

be sure of course ..

to tell your kids next year that you only had money for Christmas presents for your self and your friends at the same time. that they were "bad" or what ever.

you just keep putting your self above family and see how long it goes.

especially going to a family place.

I talked to my youngest at lunch and I posed this very question to her. and I said would there have been reprocussions? YOU BET. before and after you went was what I was told.

Yep, You just keep putting your self first.

My brother in law is a minister. Twice he and his wife went to WDW alone, once because they "only had the money for two" and another time, just to be alone.

my niece, their daughter, is great. She has a bolt on her face that you could attach a two inch trailer coupling to. why? Needs attention.

their son. My nephew, is great.. Has a kid with his girl friend of over 7 years but since she had the child, HE MOVED AWAY AND DIDN'T SEE HIS OWN KID FOR OVER SIX MONTHS... finally at Christmas, moved back to the town where she lives. and is finally seeing his own kid. HIS RESPONSIBILTY.

Yep you go and have a good time. but if your kids EVER SAY ANYTHING ABOUT IT, ITS YOUR FAULT and don't you dare say, "get over it" or what ever.

You are a real prize. I am glad I wasn't picking your cracker Jack box, or I would have sent you back.

awalkinthepark

OP....you are going to have a blast..I am absolutely jealous!

I think only having to worry about one shower and one suitcase would be absolute heaven!

You will find that you have more time since you aren't waiting for everyone else, you will see more things, you can appreciate the new things that you see.

I would schedule some table service dinners and I would have a shopping budget for you that you HAVE to spend on yourself and a souvenir budget to bring a little something back for the kids.

tigsmom

what a great idea.

Wait...your kids are ADULTS and you still won't go without them? Are we talking teens or 20 somethings (or older)?

You're right, its not the same without your kids (or lets say family), but that doesn't mean it can't be an enjoyable trip. There are so many things that are geared towards adults that can be enjoyed. There are many tours, restaurants and the like as well as the usual shows, rides and entertainment. Just because somebody has kids doesn't mean they always have to travel with them everywhere they go. The OP doesn't say how old her kids are, but as long as there is somebody responsible at home to care for them (their dad, grandparent, nanny or whatever) there is no need to feel guilt. She can call them every evening if need be and I'm sure she will bring something home for them because, lets face it, we all like to receive gifts. :lol:

I'm not following your reasoning that a hubby (or wife) left alone will become unfaithful during the trip (or any following ones). Some couples take separate vacations and live a wonderful, fulfilled married life. I say whatever works for you is the way to go and its nobody's business as long as no laws are broken.

Adult only vacations can be fun, whether they are couples or friends. How many guys go on their hunting trips and leave the wife and kids at home? Why shouldn't the wife have a fun trip too? Family fun time is great, but sometimes an adult needs a break...to each his own. Enjoy your vacations and let everyone else, including the OP, enjoy theirs.

Oh yeah, I've been married for 25 years and my DH has gone on trips by himself and I've never felt the need to seek out another's company because I was "lonely".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom