Going to a Theme Park alone.

NemoRocks78

Seized
I did it often when I lived in Florida. I'd go for a weekend on my own when friends couldn't go while in high school, and during my first year of college in Orlando I often went on my own. I'd pop in for a few hours after class and such. I stuck with counter service and solo-friendly table service joints (no 50's Prime Time and Teppan Edo, but stuff like Tokyo Dining and Sci-Fi did the trick) for dining, and single rider lines made doing attractions easy (it was also nice to just take my time strolling around World Showcase and stuff like that). And now I live in CA, so I often go to DL/DCA alone when my girlfriend doesn't want to go with me. Sometimes it feels a tad awkward - especially waiting for stuff like the Fantasyland dark rides - but I deal with it. I pass the time playing on my phone, and sometimes I'll get into convos with other guests. It's no big deal - everyone's just trying to have some fun!

AswaySuller

I've been to DL on my own... It actually wasn't weird at all. The only time I felt weird was paying for parking being by myself. I believe it happens more than you think, I'd say do it.

disneyfan1995

I've been to all four of them alone on several occasions. It's really nice considering you can do whatever you want without having to come to a consencus with your group. It can get lonely yeah, but overall it's pretty fun!!

fosse76

I've been to DL on my own... It actually wasn't weird at all. The only time I felt weird was paying for parking being by myself. I believe it happens more than you think, I'd say do it.

I've been to DLR/WDW/IOA/USF/KBF/SFGAd by myself so many times I don't think I could ever go with other people again! Yet the only time I ever feel "weird" about being by myself is when I board the Peter Pan ship...and everyone is practically looking at me (both versions, DLR and MK). Other than that I'm not paying attention to other people.

PeoplemoverTTA

I've been on 5 solo trips, and while everyone has pretty much covered the benefits, I do have one observation I've learned from my trips: Keep it to 3 or 4 days. This is just my personality, but I do tend to get a little lonely by the end of the trip, and I think anything more than 4 days would end up with me getting really lonely and even a little bored (you will plow through things on your own - it is so much faster!).

Also, don't be afraid of dining alone. My last solo trip was September 2012, and I scheduled myself a fancy lunch at the Brown Derby. My server was fantastic and if people were looking at me, I didn't care. It was an awesome meal and I felt very spoiled eating there alone, actually.

Oh, and I'm usually texting and sending pictures while I'm there too, which helps make you feel like people are "with" you, if you get lonely.

Go for it! It could be an awesome, one-time "that was fun" thing, or if could end up being a new annual tradition!

shuflemstr

I've been on 5 solo trips, and while everyone has pretty much covered the benefits, I do have one observation I've learned from my trips: Keep it to 3 or 4 days. This is just my personality, but I do tend to get a little lonely by the end of the trip, and I think anything more than 4 days would end up with me getting really lonely and even a little bored (you will plow through things on your own - it is so much faster!).

Also, don't be afraid of dining alone. My last solo trip was September 2012, and I scheduled myself a fancy lunch at the Brown Derby. My server was fantastic and if people were looking at me, I didn't care. It was an awesome meal and I felt very spoiled eating there alone, actually.

Oh, and I'm usually texting and sending pictures while I'm there too, which helps make you feel like people are "with" you, if you get lonely.

Go for it! It could be an awesome, one-time "that was fun" thing, or if could end up being a new annual tradition!

I completely agree about keeping it short. On my solo trips in January and July, I flew down on Saturday and came home Wednesday. I even spent one full day in the room. I knew I might get bored a little so I brought some dvds from home to watch.

Goofyernmost

I've been to DLR/WDW/IOA/USF/KBF/SFGAd by myself so many times I don't think I could ever go with other people again! Yet the only time I ever feel "weird" about being by myself is when I board the Peter Pan ship...and everyone is practically looking at me (both versions, DLR and MK). Other than that I'm not paying attention to other people.
I have to admit that was the only time I ever felt self-conscience about it. That's when I got to thinking that a rent a kid kiosk might be a good idea so people like me could ride Peter Pan without feeling odd. Then it occurred to me that this in itself was a pretty weird thought and perhaps not a good one. :jawdrop::joyfull:

Maelstrom Troll

On our last trip, I was doing a half day conference for work and was able to cut out early. My wife was SUPPOSED to be at MK that day but unbeknownst to me, she and my daughter decided to call an audible and do Epcot instead. So being the sneaky hubby that I am I tried to surprise her. I called her all "bored" from my conference (really near splash) and asked her what ride she was on. She was Germany eating a pretzel! So I played hooky by myself for about 2 hours and enjoyed every minute of it. BTW, HM is way spookier by yourself :)

SteveW

On my 1st solo trip last December, I was there for 6 days and never felt bored. I did have a down day where I hung out at the resort, took a bus to another resort for lunch, and finished up reading a couple of books on my Kindle app. I'm planning another solo trip this December for 8 days and am planning to spend 1 day offsite hitting the outlet malls. I can see where people might like a shorter solo trip, but for me it's a great way to relax and do things at my own schedule.

luv

Orlando is a popular place for conventions, so loads f people end up here alone. They don't all go to theme parks, of course. But it isn't like a single person would be viewed by anyone as an oddity.

You should become a flight attendant. They go all over the place and get used to sight-seeing alone. :)

ugotzme

I did it this past Saturday got their for the rope drop then headed to Starbucks bought a coffee and a piece of lemon cake and then went to the hub in front of castle to read my new York times. It was great just sitting their watching the families go buy and enjoying the morning. after about 2 hours in park headed to EPCOT went to France for lunch and ice cream and then headed to boardwalk gallery and then headed to Studios for a quick look around and a coke and then jumped back on the Waldorf Astoria bus and headed back to the hotel and to think my girls missed this just to go shopping.

jaklgreen

I go alone every year for the food and wine fest. Hubby stays home with the kids, it is my "mama needs to recharge" trip. I love going by myself. I love going and just doing what I want to do. If I want to look in the glass blowing gift shop for 15 min I can, no kids to nag me saying they want to go on a ride. I don't feel weird and I don't have that feeling that people are looking at me funny. Maybe because I am a middle aged woman and look like a harmless "mom".

jaklgreen

Haven't gone to WDW by myself (simply because it's over an hour drive one way and that seems like a lot just for a few hours by myself) but I have popped over to Busch Gardens Tampa by myself for an afternoon before. See, I really enjoy taking pics. But it's not always a lot of fun for Love to just stand around while I fiddle with lenses and settings and my tripod, etc. It's fun for me but not really for him. LOL So I've taken a few hours on my own to head over to BG to take photos and just kinda do what I want without feeling like I'm ignoring him.

It's neat being on your own. You kinda feel like it's your park in a way because there's no need to make sure everyone is having fun. Just do - or don't do! - whatever you want.

One of these days I'd like to head out for a day by myself at WDW just to take photos. It sounds like an awesome day. Practicality speaking it's seems like a little bit much for me which is why I haven't done it yet. But maybe come the holiday season or something I might take advantage of my AP. I always want to go more often then my fiance does anyway! ;)
OMG!!!! if I was only and hour drive away I would drop the kids off at school and head on over to Epcot! Heck even if it was only and hour flight I would go more often. We live in Nebraska and it is at least a 4 hour flight(with 1 stop, no direct flights) and I manage to get to WDW every Oct by myself and 1 trip with the whole family a year. Our dream is to win the lottery and buy a house in Golden Oaks.

jaklgreen

I completely agree about keeping it short. On my solo trips in January and July, I flew down on Saturday and came home Wednesday. I even spent one full day in the room. I knew I might get bored a little so I brought some dvds from home to watch.
I stay for 8 days when I go in Oct. I do a lot of the food and wine fest stuff and I never run out of things to do. I eat at sit downs without any weirdness. I also have gone on rides like Dumbo by myself. I was thinking about that when someone posted that they do not go on dumbo solo, and my kids are older now and want their own seat when we go on rides so I am sitting solo on things(they are in a different row/car/seat) even when they are with me and I do not feel weird about it. My thinking is the more time you can spend at WDW the better. :)

MissM

OMG!!!! if I was only and hour drive away I would drop the kids off at school and head on over to Epcot!
*chuckles* Well, it's just a bit more involved for me logistically.

First, it's a little more than an hour but that's moot. It's also about 1/2 a tank of gas there and back which of course isn't cheap. You also either have to get back before rush hour turns I-4 and I-275 into nightmare parking lots or wait until after. Before means you need to leave WDW like 3pm at the latest and after mean you're not getting home until after 8pm or so. Same is true for morning rush hour, meaning you have to leave home no earlier than like 8:30 or 9am and then leave Disney for home like 2:30pm or 3:00pm.

So you get about 4 hours of time in the park for about 2.5 hours of driving and half a tank of gas. And thus, I just haven't really felt it was worth it despite the fact I'd like to go more often then we do currently. :)

jaklgreen

*chuckles* Well, it's just a bit more involved for me logistically.

First, it's a little more than an hour but that's moot. It's also about 1/2 a tank of gas there and back which of course isn't cheap. You also either have to get back before rush hour turns I-4 and I-275 into nightmare parking lots or wait until after. Before means you need to leave WDW like 3pm at the latest and after mean you're not getting home until after 8pm or so. Same is true for morning rush hour, meaning you have to leave home no earlier than like 8:30 or 9am and then leave Disney for home like 2:30pm or 3:00pm.

So you get about 4 hours of time in the park for about 2.5 hours of driving and half a tank of gas. And thus, I just haven't really felt it was worth it despite the fact I'd like to go more often then we do currently. :)
It would still be worth it for me. I would drop the kids off and spend the day(not everyday of course but a lot more then the twice a year I go now). My hubby can get the kids from school so I can come home anytime. The gas is still way cheaper then flying and paying for a hotel the twice a year I go.

luv

It would still be worth it for me. I would drop the kids off and spend the day(not everyday of course but a lot more then the twice a year I go now). My hubby can get the kids from school so I can come home anytime. The gas is still way cheaper then flying and paying for a hotel the twice a year I go.
I remember thinking that. :)

The thrill wears off. :)

JR864

Well JR864, post how your trip was after its over.
Ok. Here's a somewhat less than enthusiastic update....

For the most part, the week has been great and cms have been great. The notable exceptions have been at Mk, which makes me wonder whether the demographics there tend to make the adult solo traveller stick out more.

First was Sunday night.... Park was open till 11. Around 9:00 when wishes was in full swing I went on pirates.... It was deserted (and had in fact been a walk on on sat as well). Went straight to the loading area and was directed to row 1. There was some issue with a couple green flagged boats coming thru -- these cant be loaded for some reason -- so the previous passengers had not yet been loaded.

There was a middle-aged lady getting into the boat in row 1.... I purposefully held back, but the cm said no, you have to get in this boat.... The lady was clearly uncomfortable, sliding all the way across.... I could have made a small scene and refused, but now there was a family in rows 1 and 2 behind me and I would have forced them into separate boats.... The cms both seemed pretty smug and amused with themselves.... Maybe this is what they do for fun, trying to pair up apparently pathetic singles on dark rides....

Before anyone starts throwing excuses, let me say I've been going to wdw for almost 30 years and this has never happened even in busy times ( when I was odd man out in my family loading) --- not on pirates or any other boat ride.... I have also ridden single rider on Everest and tt and been paired with strangers and been completely fine with it ( it is expected). The difference here is that pirates is a slow dark ride and more importantly was completely devoid of a line.... And was nowhere near closing.... This was clearly a cm prank...

I thought about emailing guest svcs, but what are they going to do, besides giving the children something to pass around and giggle about.

Second was at bog today... Had never been, so thinking they opened at 1130, I went over. They had opened at 1030, so I was faced with the line in the blazing sun. The ladies working that line must have one of the hardest jobs in wdw! They were great, but things went south fast upon entry. Luckily the wait was only 25 mins ilo the 45 stated. But when I got to the front, and was asked how many,my single digit was met first with a furrowed brow, then a shrug, then saying " ok, come on anyway". Huh?!?

Inside I got directed to the right line, which was easily 3x longer than the left (which I assumed to be fp plus). Assumed until many of the families behind me passed me by as I stood in a motionless line. Even when I finally made it to the point where you get your rose, the loading guy was not feeding one side then the other as most counter svcs do, but was letting left side pass on thru (again, these were not fp plus!)

Found a table against the windows.... Ate sandwich. Went to get refill, which was about 20 feet away, and when I got back my table had been cleared! Let me be clear. The dessert plate was untouched ...folded napkin and fork beside it. I could understand better if there were some bites out of it, looking unfinished, but this was not an abandoned table. So, they had to go find a mgr, who looked skeptically at my empty table (sans order-pending rose) and says "I'm told you're missing something?".... And I explained that my table had been cleared. A heavy sigh, "what did you have?" And for a moment I thought she was going to ask for my receipt (which I think had also been tossed).... Dessert was redelivered with a curt sorry. This all played out to the amusement of my neighboring tables.

So, a couple pretty humiliating experiences have put me off ever trying to go solo at Mk again... Sorry for the way too long post..... Of course, I'm just an old middle aged dad... Ymmv...

Joe

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom