Going to a Theme Park alone.

SMS55

I've spent a few hours at the parks by myself. My family can't keep up with me and they've gone back to the hotel and left me behind. It's fun. That's usually when I slow down a bit. We've usually done everything we wanted by that point and no one else wants to just hang around. I may ride one or two more rides and just kind of hang out. Sometimes I just want to look around and know I am at one of the parks.

lilclerk

I've done WDW, Disneyland and Universal alone. I love solo trips! I totally understand feeling like everyone is watching you, especially in table service restaurants, but I got over it pretty quickly. You're in Disney! Everyone else is worrying about how much they can cram into a day, not about you ;)

Which park is most fun solo? I think Epcot, but I just love Epcot haha. But I love strolling around World Showcase, taking in all the details, and seeing all the shows that I wouldn't normally be able to with someone else.

luv

Well the only Disney park i've been to alone is Epcot, maybe because I feel its more geared for adults, But i've always wanted to walk around Magic Kingdom by myself once. I'm not chlostrophobic, however i do get a little bit of that paranoid feeling of everyone thinking i'm awkward for visiting a place like that all alone. I know I need to stop thinking about what others are thinking about me, but sometimes you can't help it when you are alone I guess.
The thing is that they're not thinking about you.

You're young and young people often have the mistaken notion that they're kind of the center of attention. You get over it later. But the truth is that all those people just don't care at all about you. They're doing their own thing, having their own good times (and bad times, lol). Even if their eyes happen to land on you, you are just one of thousands of people they'll see that day.

Although I don't think you should worry if they were thinking bad things about you, they aren't. They're not thinking good things or bad things or any things at all. You're just a blip on the radar, a cog in the machine.

So go! Have fun! Do your own thing! Stop worrying about all that stuff you worry other people might be thinking about you and enjoy yourself! :)

Lucky

No one will know or care if you're alone. Probably half the people you see alone in the parks are just separate from their group for a while for whatever reason. Last trip I went to Flame Tree BBQ by myself while the rest of my family did the Dinosaur ride. Another trip I saw the Canada movie while the others were off at gift shops. I wouldn't ever go to WDW without my family, but if I'm ever in Paris, Tokyo or LA on business I could see myself going to a Disney park alone and not being self-conscious about it.

Goofyernmost

After my kids grew up and got married and my ex decided that she didn't want to be married anymore, it didn't diminish my enjoyment of WDW. That all happened in 2000. Since that time I have been to WDW at least once a year and even made it to DL once. With the exception of one trip, I did Disney and other places touring solo. I don't just go to the parks, I also try to experience a lot of the area where I am, be it Central Florida or Anaheim/L.A.

I have completely enjoyed my trips. I look at them as adventures and absolute Me times. It is the one occasion in my life when I am absolutely focused on what I want and not have to be concerned about others. It's emotionally legal selfishness. What could be better?

On my own I have gone to Disneyland, DCA, Universal Hollywood, MK, Epcot, DHS, DAK, DtD, once took a Helicopter ride over WDW. I've been to Kennedy Space Ctr. Universal Orlando, IOA, Sea World, Gatorland, Silver Springs, Cyprus Gardens (when it was still CG), Driven over the Sunshine Bridge in Tampa Bay, Bach Tower and even a side trip to Key West. Other times to Myrtle Beach, Cocoa Beach and St. Petersburg Beach. Also went to Las Vegas. Some have been road trips from Vermont and later, North Carolina. Some that I have flown in and rented a car when I arrived at MCO and Anaheim.

I have never been mindful as to whether or not someone is paying attention to me as a single. I don't have that high an opinion of myself, I guess. Whatever the reason, I am not usually self conscience about it. First of all, I don't consider it anyone's business if I am by myself or not. Someone, has also mentioned and I think it is quite true, no one even notices. They have enough of their own situation to deal with. That includes meals. It is no longer 1890. No one really cares that you have no one to do this stuff with. It is your choice and the ones that might care are not worthy of consideration on your part.

Go and have a fun, guilt free trip. :joyfull:

PhilharMagician

Never vacationed there alone, but have gone to the parks alone and had a great time. It is nice not having to wait for others and simply do what you want, but on the other hand it is nice sharing those great memories with friends and family to share for years to come. I think it would be a little weird dining at a table service for me since I am not really accustomed to doing that but could manage it.

graphite1326

My only concern with me going alone is when I drink around the world (beer only) usually pretty lit after germany (counter clock wise). I was surprised at the potency of the beers from france and Morocco.

Just to let everyone know, I mind my own business when I drink and never bother anyone. And this is not a habit. I only do it for something fun to do at EPCOT after we have already had a previous day there.

Clamman73

My only concern with me going alone is when I drink around the world (beer only) usually pretty lit after germany (counter clock wise). I was surprised at the potency of the beers from france and Morocco.

Just to let everyone know, I mind my own business when I drink and never bother anyone. And this is not a habit. I only do it for something fun to do at EPCOT after we have already had a previous day there.

See...now I go clockwise and I'm already lit by the time I've left Mexico! Thanks LaCava!

But to the OP...I did solo last year and was fine, and so far lined up for another this Oct., but maybe a few family members might show up for F&W. I'm just not going to ride Dumbo alone - I did the Belle's thing last year to check it out and just tried to blend in as to not feel like a creeper.

This year I have a new camera, so I'll be busy taking pics, as well as drinking, eating and being on rides.

Graham9

I'm not the sort of person who enjoys my own company and the idea of doing WDW on my own is incomprehensible. However, there would be an exception. If I was visiting WDW with a group of people for a time, I would like the chance to visit some parts of the 'World by myself if only to grab some pictures (which always takes a little time) without the hassle of holding everyone else up or having everyone else drag along at my pace.

jw24

Speaking from experience, going a theme park all by myself is just great. Absolute freedom at its finest. Eat what you want, ride what you want, etc. It's all about you for the most part. You go at your own pace. If you need to rest, then be all means, rest! If you want to eat a late lunch, then eat a late lunch! I find that most people don't give a hoot about what you're doing because they're doing their own thing. The CMs maybe but they want you to feel welcomed getting in line for a ride or meeting characters or having your picture taken.

SyracuseOrange

I also have done drinking around the world "alone" - (I started by myself and then a couple hours later a friend met up with me.) I didn't think it was that awkward at all, but I also travel alone a lot to foreign countries and have no problems going to a bar by myself, so this is kind of the same thing, in a way :)

Best advice for doing that solo is to really pace yourself, have a snack or two along the way, stay hydrated (water, not booze) and go at a leisurely pace. It's a really fun time, but one bad call and Illuminations might be a bit too much for you to handle ;)

---

As far as going alone to a Disney park, or a theme park in general, it's really a great experience. I consider myself a very "skilled" theme park guest, and going with other people typically slows me down. It's really relaxing/exciting to be able to do whatever you want, whenever you want, especially if you are the type of person who is very good at navigating a theme park and doesn't like being slowed down by bathroom breaks, rest stops, or waiting in line during prime eating hours when you know you'd be so much better off if you ate your meals at other times.

Highly recommended! Have fun!

imagineer boy

I've never gone to the resort completely on my own, but I have gone off to the parks on my own and left my parents at the hotel. It's a very double edged sword.

Pros:

-Like others have mentioned, going at your own pace is very nice. No one is slowing you down or making you hurry.

-I find myself looking at hidden areas, eating at different restaurants, and peeking my head in shops I've never been in just to see what's there.

-I can go on rides as many times as I want. I also go on rides that other members of my party wouldn't be caught dead on just for the experience and say that I rode it.

Cons:

-For me, it can get quite depressing at times. I hate seeing people laughing and enjoying company with friends or family and I'll just be sitting there alone. It can be a downer even though you're at WDW.

-Well, quite frankly that's the only con but it's a big one.

pixiesteno

I had an opportunity several years ago to have a short stay at WDW. I was there for three days and spent time in both the MK & EPCOT. It was fun. I find that I tend to visit with people while waiting for the parade. I had many CM initiated conversations while I was there alone. It was fun. Yes, I did miss my DH when waiting in cues, we do a lot of checking out of the cue area. All in all I think it was harder on DH not being able to go than it was on me. I think everyone should give it a try. OP, have a very wonderful solo trip. :)

Fletch

Nope, can't do it.

To self concious plus I prefer to enjoy something like this with family. However, if the opportunity arises, like being in the LA area on business, I would push myself to check it out because I would never fly out to the coast to just see Disneyland.

DJMoore2011

While I have never done it I would LOVE to do it. There are things that I like to look at and do that the others don't and while my Dear Hubby would have no problem watching my Darling Daughter while I explored when we are together I just don't feel right doing it when we go as a family. But a Solo trip...so would do. And if I could I would do a tour in a heart beat. I can't do the tours with my Darling Daughter..worried it might ruin the magic for her.

Spikerdink

I have done solo trips a few times. I used to go twice a year - once in February to chase away the winter blahs and once in August just before school started....but then I lost my teaching job and well, I also lost my ability to pay for things.

But the August trip was more often than not a solo trip. I did a week once by my self - and have to admit part of it was pretty hard.

While the previous posters have stated about being able to go to attraction to attraction, park to park is a great freedom (no one making a face, holding you up, declining to join...) there is also no one to SHARE the fun with. I had no problem walking MK alone, but sometimes when I went on certain rides I was VERY self-conscious. (The one that made me the most weirded out was Winnie the Pooh - something about all the families with little kids and here is an adult male riding alone...I felt self-conscious.) But I did every ride I wanted to.

The one thing I did not do was eat alone at a TS. I would grab something to eat at a QS and often just went back to my room (DVC) and fixed myself a plate of nachos. The one time I did venture out to get fish and chips at UK Pavilion in Epcot it had just stopped raining and I was going to actually eat alone at one of the tables and look out at the lagoon....so I had my tray and went to sit and there was a CM roping off the seating area. There was no place to sit....and it started to rain again. I ended up sitting on the ground near the Tea Shoppe under the overhang. It must have looked sad and depressing to people who walked by.

I may be going alone at the beginning of October (for a few days anyway)....which is fine. I will partake of Food and Wine and wander aimlessly. It will be ok - but wish there were people with me!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom