GMR Major Rehab?

Thrawn

Account Suspended
mousermerf said:
Depends - if they keep the ride system and re-do the scenery, not so much.

I can't see that working, however. The way the ride system is set up (2 acts, 2 seperate trains) can't really work any other way.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
It can be reprogrammed - the length of the various portions of Energy were tweaked when it became Ellen's Energy Adventure. All they have to do is keep the same general path - the rest is blue sky.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
mousermerf said:
It can be reprogrammed - the length of the various portions of Energy were tweaked when it became Ellen's Energy Adventure. All they have to do is keep the same general path - the rest is blue sky.

True, but UoE never had two basically independent rides intertwined.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Actually, Energy does, so to speak. 2 sets of vehicles travel at the same time.

But, what you think of as 2 different rides is merely 2 different sets of cues for the same scenes - hence how GMR can operate without the western bank robber.

The vehicles are not super intelligent following their own inidivual show path - merely the show around them reacts and vehicles slow down and stop accordingly.

Jenevra

pax_65 said:
By this logic, the ride itself should NEVER be updated regardless of what new technologies become available.

Even when he was remembering the past, Walt Disney was always looking forward to showcase new technologies and new innovations both in his parks and in his films.

No ride or attraction should ever be "untouchable" if it can be improved with new technology. But the key word there is "improved". I think many of us get nervous because we don't necessarily trust Disney to make changes to our favorite rides - call it the Stitch effect.

My point is that some rides are created for a certain purpose. For example I do not think that Peter Pan or IASW should have new technology introduced. They are meant to be a certain way. I am basically saying that if a darkride is meant to be a certain way and the crowds still like it then there really should be no reason to upgrdae it. This does not mean that some of the scenes could not change.

errr this is Blackride on my wifes account...by accident.

pax_65

Original Poster
Jenevra said:
For example I do not think that Peter Pan or IASW should have new technology introduced.

But didn't I hear that IASW did have new technology introduced during the last rehab, so they can create a holiday version of the ride? (Similar to what has been done to Haunted Mansion - with updated technology they can now make a "Nightmare Before Christmas" version of the ride.)

I think this is great. For those of us who visit WDW often, it's fun to see new things now and then.

Still, I hear what you're saying... a classic ride is a classic ride, they shouldn't change it just for change sake.

Yukinon

Ok I for one feel that GMR rides needs major updating! When we were on it this summer, the kids in the car sitting behind us were so confused in the cowboy area (I think it has John Wayne, I really dont even know myself!) and they were laughing at the Aliens. The mom the whole time was trying to explain the movies to the kids but they just were not getting it.

I think we should keep the ride technology and certain scenes. Update the old scenes that are no longer current and change the ending movie sequence. It really needs some help!

Brian_B

marni1971 said:
GMR requires the CM to start and stop the vehicle on each mark (within tolerence) whereas UoE can stop on a dime under computer control. The vehicles are the same in that when fully charged they could actually be driven out of the building onto level ground with all safety features disabled - ruining the chasis in the process no doubt.

:lol: yeah, and the CM that tried it would be in a world of pain...a new realm of pain and suffering...

To be honest, the vehicles are fairly tough. They weigh a lot and subsequently pack a lot of inertia, which makes them quite hardy (even going at 4 mph)

One of the oft-talked about upgrades is fully automating the ride, so that they'd cut down on the cost of needing tour guides on the ride. Of course, this would ruin it completely. No stopping progress, I suppose.

GMR rules.

- Brian

saltmom1

Paul&chris2005 said:
Some of the scenes could be updated, like the Alien scene could be replaced by something like...well thats the problem - what could you replace it with?

Harry Potter ? :lol: :brick:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
mousermerf said:
(vehicles were housed outdoors if more than 1 needed major maitenance).

Interesting bits of info. Thanks!

Here is one of energys vehicles frying:

Attachments

• PDVD_100.jpg
    PDVD_100.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 64

mousermerf

Account Suspended
After the thermal plastic incident(s) they use an interesting new proceedure lately - they lockdown the vehicles. Essentially the middle section never moves and stays put on the turntables with the two side sections being loaded and sent around.

leifink

marni1971 said:
It must have been -what- 2 years ago? This was the CAVE technology rumoured to replace most of the Animatronics - and sets - on the attraction. Thank god it never happened.
I remember when the rumors to use this kinds of tech were very much alive, But i am so glad that the CAVE tech was never used, just so everyone get an idea of what it it is, here is some info: click here

Crazy Harry

Jenevra said:
My point is that some rides are created for a certain purpose. For example I do not think that Peter Pan or IASW should have new technology introduced. They are meant to be a certain way. I am basically saying that if a darkride is meant to be a certain way and the crowds still like it then there really should be no reason to upgrdae it. This does not mean that some of the scenes could not change.

errr this is Blackride on my wifes account...by accident.

I think the old saying holds true here, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I personally feel that GMR is one of the last great AA spectaculars.

New technology is not nessisarily better than the old technology, just new, depending of course on the intended application.

I personally feel GMR is plenty "immersive" just the way it is. Sure, it could technically be "more" immersive with different technology, but so could most of disney's slower, more family oriented rides.

I love the spiderman ride just as much as the next fella, but changing everything to video screens and 3-D glasses isn't nessisarily better. That's not to say that there shouldn't be other rides like that, but it depends on exactly what you intend to accomplish and what story you are trying to tell.

I think GMR serves it's purpose the way it is, but video/spiderman technology would be the perfect medium for something like the Incredibles.

Crazy Harry

saltmom1 said:
Paul&chris2005 said:
Some of the scenes could be updated, like the Alien scene could be replaced by something like...well thats the problem - what could you replace it with?

Harry Potter ? :lol: :brick:

Wait a minute, I think you have something here, and I'm being completely serious!!! I would enjoy upgrades to this attraction, and I'm not saying the alien portion should nessisarily altered, but think of the possibilities with a harry potter themed section to this ride.

Most of the scenes are very detailed environments and very immersive in my opinion, and a potter section wouldn't be any less. I think we should talk about this.

And what about maybe a star wars episode three section with the Ani/Obi Mustafar battle?

pax_65

Original Poster
Crazy Harry said:
I think GMR serves it's purpose the way it is, but video/spiderman technology would be the perfect medium for something like the Incredibles.

That's a great idea! Hopefully the Imagineers are already thinking about that... if we had a 3D "in your face" Incredibles ride, maybe I'd stop worrying about updating GMR (at least until I see Whoopi singing and hear Robin scream "GOOD MORNING VIETNAM!" again. Which come to think of it, will be in less than 2 weeks!) :sohappy:

Crazy Harry

pax_65 said:
That's a great idea! Hopefully the Imagineers are already thinking about that... if we had a 3D "in your face" Incredibles ride, maybe I'd stop worrying about updating GMR (at least until I see Whoopi singing and hear Robin scream "GOOD MORNING VIETNAM!" again. Which come to think of it, will be in less than 2 weeks!) :sohappy:

I'd love to take credit for the idea, but it's based on a rumor I heard about video tech combined with the robo coaster system which from what I understand is basically a robotic arm attached to a flat track.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom