GMR Major Rehab?

pax_65

Original Poster
I remember hearing a LONG time ago a rumor that plans were being considered for a major rehab of the Great Movie Ride. The idea was apparently to use 3D immersive technology like Universal's Spiderman along with sets and audio-animatronics to produce a more realistic immersive experience - like you are actually IN the movies you're passing through.

Does anyone know if this was just a false rumor, or if it was axed by the budget bean counters, or if it's still something on the idea board? I'd love to see it happen - Spiderman is an amazing ride, and I think the technology could be a good fit for GMR.

Brian_B

Hey

During my tenure at GMR I've heard that rumor - supposedly during the last rehab (when they changed the script), disney was going to close GMR and make it the disney villians ride, and they had first dibs on the spiderman ride techology for the proposed villians attraction, and turned it down - and it was subsequently sold to universal. However, I'm fairly certain that this information is absolute horsefeathers/balderdash/flimflam/hogwash/ piffle/hooey.

Nothing more than a rumor...but you never know.

- Brian

mousermerf

Account Suspended
It's not to say it was never planned/thought-of, but rather it never came to be. Even in Disney there are many many MANY bad idea floated about and explored - luckily most of them get the axe.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It must have been -what- 2 years ago? This was the CAVE technology rumoured to replace most of the Animatronics - and sets - on the attraction. Thank god it never happened.

peter11435

CAPTAIN HOOK said:
GMR closed in April 2003 for a rehab and we never got to ride it during our visit - what changes (if any) took place then ?
The rehab was mostly just cosmetic. Not many changes were made at all except some minor changes to the script.

pax_65

Original Poster
marni1971 said:
It must have been -what- 2 years ago? This was the CAVE technology rumoured to replace most of the Animatronics - and sets - on the attraction. Thank god it never happened.

That was probably roughtly the time frame. Don't get me wrong, I really like GMR - it's one of my favorite rides. And I wouldn't want to see the animatronics removed completely - the Wizard of Oz scene is just amazing, and the witch is VERY cool!

That said, I'd love to see the ride updated. Obviously the film at the end should be updated to include more current films (Sister Act and Good Morning Vietnam? C'mon...). The films showcased in the ride itself could use some updating too - a film should either be a classic or a recent hit. Most of the films are classics - Cassablanca, Wizard of Oz, etc., but Alien is neither a classic or a recent hit. Most younger people today probably don't even remember the movie.

I'd also like to see the technology of the ride itself updated. This ride was MGM's original headliner when the park opened over 15 years ago and has not been significantly updated since (right?). There is a lot of technology now available that could provide a more immersive experience. Even without the 3D glasses and effects of "Spiderman" (which just blows me away), you could incorporate effects like you see in "Honey I Shrunk the Audience" or "Soarin'", where you have odors or water or other elements that make you feel you are really in the movie's you are passing through.

Dayma

pax_65 said:
That was probably roughtly the time frame. Don't get me wrong, I really like GMR - it's one of my favorite rides. And I wouldn't want to see the animatronics removed completely - the Wizard of Oz scene is just amazing, and the witch is VERY cool!

That said, I'd love to see the ride updated. Obviously the film at the end should be updated to include more current films (Sister Act and Good Morning Vietnam? C'mon...). The films showcased in the ride itself could use some updating too - a film should either be a classic or a recent hit. Most of the films are classics - Cassablanca, Wizard of Oz, etc., but Alien is neither a classic or a recent hit. Most younger people today probably don't even remember the movie.

I'd also like to see the technology of the ride itself updated. This ride was MGM's original headliner when the park opened over 15 years ago and has not been significantly updated since (right?). There is a lot of technology now available that could provide a more immersive experience. Even without the 3D glasses and effects of "Spiderman" (which just blows me away), you could incorporate effects like you see in "Honey I Shrunk the Audience" or "Soarin'", where you have odors or water or other elements that make you feel you are really in the movie's you are passing through.

There was newer technology the time it was built also. This ride was built as it was meant to be seen. I have no problem with the ride and I think that adding any new tchnology would take away from the overall feel. I do think that the last scene could be updated a tad but the rest of the ride is fine!

Paul&chris2005

I think some of what is rumoured too happen to the ride would just ruin it - I mean how it is, is how it should be seen, no gimmicks no tricks - whats there is pefect to me.

Some of the scenes could be updated, like the Alien scene could be replaced by something like...well thats the problem - what could you replace it with? All the big Disney Hits recently are based on rides, and any film I can think of just now that could be even put in the same list as Wizard of Oz etc is something like Titantic - which am sure has nothing to do with Disney, Lucasfilms or MGM. A PotC scene would be ideal to replace, but it'll never happen.
Also on a side note, I was on the ride in the summer and wondered how the cars navigated the track/course - I really couldnt figure it out.

PBarton

Paul&chris2005 said:
Also on a side note, I was on the ride in the summer and wondered how the cars navigated the track/course - I really couldnt figure it out.
I may be wrong (more than likely!) but I think that the ride vehicles use the same technology as the vehicles in Universe of Energy ie - They follow a metal strip that is embedded into the floor.

I'm sure someone with a better understanding of these matters will be able to give a more in-depth explanation!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
PBarton said:
I may be wrong (more than likely!) but I think that the ride vehicles use the same technology as the vehicles in Universe of Energy ie - They follow a metal strip that is embedded into the floor.

I'm sure someone with a better understanding of these matters will be able to give a more in-depth explanation!

That is exactly right :)

mousermerf

Account Suspended
It's actually a wire which emits a radio signal - not just a metal strip to speak, but the concept is right. The wire is less of a track and more of a guidence system that is emitting the information on what to do and where to go.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The GMR system is a bit less technical than UoE; GMR requires the CM to start and stop the vehicle on each mark (within tolerence) whereas UoE can stop on a dime under computer control. The vehicles are the same in that when fully charged they could actually be driven out of the building onto level ground with all safety features disabled - ruining the chasis in the process no doubt.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
The little metal wheels can't make it over the doorstop - a problem discovered early on at Energy (vehicles were housed outdoors if more than 1 needed major maitenance). On a completely flat surface however they're hell on wheels and have destroyed set pieces and control consoles in both attractions due to their sheer power/inertia.

On a side note - the energy vehicles seating areas are made of a thermal plastic that was heated and molded. When the Energy vehicles were stored outdoors in the FL sun the thermal plastic began to revert to its original shape and actually broke the metal bands that affix it to the vehicle - hence why the bands don't all match when you examine the seating closely.

pax_65

Original Poster
blackride said:
There was newer technology the time it was built also. This ride was built as it was meant to be seen. I have no problem with the ride and I think that adding any new tchnology would take away from the overall feel.

By this logic, the ride itself should NEVER be updated regardless of what new technologies become available.

Even when he was remembering the past, Walt Disney was always looking forward to showcase new technologies and new innovations both in his parks and in his films.

No ride or attraction should ever be "untouchable" if it can be improved with new technology. But the key word there is "improved". I think many of us get nervous because we don't necessarily trust Disney to make changes to our favorite rides - call it the Stitch effect.

KumbaRider

I agree more or less. The ride could use another update to incorporate newer technologies. In money talk, that would probably cheaper to make it into a newer E ticket rather than build a new one elsewhere in the park....but I wouldn't want that.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
KumbaRider said:
I agree more or less. The ride could use another update to incorporate newer technologies. In money talk, that would probably cheaper to make it into a newer E ticket rather than build a new one elsewhere in the park....but I wouldn't want that.

Not necessarily true. The cost of demolition and reconstruction is usually higher than just construction. Not to mention the limitations of building a new ride into the housing of an old one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom