GMR Info.

tirian

Whoa, retract the claws boys! I wasn't trying to assert a fact, and certainly not propogate a rumor, just what I thought I remembered the case to be. There WAS a lot of talk several years ago about Disney wanting to close GMR, but yeah, maybe those were just Internet rumors. Doesn't really matter now if in fact GMR's ridership is indeed strong. That's awesome and comforting news to hear! GMR, ToT, RnR, and food are basically the only reasons I go into DHS anymore.

No claws here. Message boards sometimes just look that way. :wave:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Very True! That has to be chalked up to casting. I told casting I wanted a high spiel attraction and they threw me on the now spiel-less land. Then people who want no spiel get put on GMR. It is VERY frustrating because the people go through the training and end up quitting because they can't do the spiel. I personally think Casting needs a major overhaul. (Sorry, another soapbox moment)

I believe they have fallen into the rut of NOT casting roles, but merely filling slots.

sknydave

I've always found it strange that they don't swap out scenes in the GMR.. Of all of the things that can be done at the studios it seems (to me) that a couple of new scenes in the GMR would be the most cost-effective way of improving the park.

cmatt

Its mince, a nostalgia ride for the purists. A movie tribute is a great idea but I can only vaguely remember the movies featured so gawd knows what people under 30 make of it......................

The only reason it gets numbers is that there is all else on offer at MGM.

:sohappy: :ROFLOL: :sohappy:

CSUFSteve

No claws here. Message boards sometimes just look that way. :wave:

Thanks, appreciate that.

I'm gonna try to word this one more carefully: Re: CM's being directly proportional to the quality of experience: Wasn't there a proposal at one point to totally rewrite the CM spiels such that they were no longer interactive elements with the attraction in the shootout/Indy scenes? Or was that also just an Internet rumor?

Slowjack

Its mince, a nostalgia ride for the purists. A movie tribute is a great idea but I can only vaguely remember the movies featured so gawd knows what people under 30 make of it......................

The only reason it gets numbers is that there is all else on offer at MGM.
I'm certainly not old enough to have been born when Casablanca, Wizard of Oz, Singin' in the Rain, etc., were made, but I remember them well, because I'm a film fan, and those are some of the greatest, most well-known, films of all time. It seems logical to me that something called the Great Movie Ride is geared towards people who like film enough to have bothered to see films made before their time. Or put another way, if you can only "vaguely remember" a film as memorable as Casablanca, you are probably out of your element at a park dedicated to Hollywood.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I'm certainly not old enough to have been born when Casablanca, Wizard of Oz, Singin' in the Rain, etc., were made, but I remember them well, because I'm a film fan, and those are some of the greatest, most well-known, films of all time. It seems logical to me that something called the Great Movie Ride is geared towards people who like film enough to have bothered to see films made before their time. Or put another way, if you can only "vaguely remember" a film as memorable as Casablanca, you are probably out of your element at a park dedicated to Hollywood.

If they are such well known films why did you have to be "bothered" to see it?

Just because its old doesnt make it great, and who gets to decided what makes a classic?

Tarzan is so popular they have to explain its not George of the Jungle.

Oh and as someone who used to work as a cinema projectionist does that make me a movie expert? Or just another punter with an opinion and a keyboard.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Just because its old doesnt make it great, and who gets to decided what makes a classic?

Oh and as someone who used to work as a cinema projectionist does that make me a movie expert? Or just another punter with an opinion and a keyboard.
Truer words have never been spoken.

As for the GMR this is an attraction that could do with at least on or two scenes completely replaced ever few years to keep up with the times. Let Wizard of Oz be a permanent fixture, but as far as I am concerned the rest of the attraction is fare game

DocHoliday

As for the GMR this is an attraction that could do with at least on or two scenes completely replaced ever few years to keep up with the times. Let Wizard of Oz be a permanent fixture, but as far as I am concerned the rest of the attraction is fare game

The Western and Noir scenes should stay. They are FAR to important to the early years of film.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy

But you're old and a classic M Y.....:lookaroun

As for wait time...we always are in the queue long enough to have to see that intro movie at least three times....wish they would make that longer if we will be there that long!

Also wish they would replace the Berkley girls near the beginning...sorry, but they look too much like adult blow-up dolls....:eek: I would love to see them change one or two minor scenes a year, and they can get rid of Alien...especially after removing the scarier motions. Do need to keep a SF genre area.

GrimGrinninAnna

Another q regarding scene changes is- what will happen to GMR as a wedding venue? Those of you planning (or just dreaming about :wave: ) your WDW wedding know it's listed on the Wish Book as a reception venue. I believe in either the Wizard of Oz or Old West scenes. I'd love to see them add some other rooms in time for me to get engaged and pick it :ROFLOL:

Eyorefan

Normally I would agree with you. I have never watched Citizan Kane without falling asleep. However, Wizard of Oz is a timeless classic, and I would say that the sceen they have from Casablanca is reconizable to people who have never even attempted to see the rest of that film.
As far as Tarzan goes, as much of the movie purist in me would like to fight you on that I can't say you are wrong. I think the same can be said for James Cagney. I think one could arguee that Al Pachino would be better to have. And why they have that sceen from Alien is something I will never understand.

DocHoliday

Normally I would agree with you. I have never watched Citizan Kane without falling asleep. However, Wizard of Oz is a timeless classic, and I would say that the sceen they have from Casablanca is reconizable to people who have never even attempted to see the rest of that film.
As far as Tarzan goes, as much of the movie purist in me would like to fight you on that I can't say you are wrong. I think the same can be said for James Cagney. I think one could arguee that Al Pachino would be better to have. And why they have that sceen from Alien is something I will never understand.

Because Alien is awesome!! ;)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
But you're old and a classic M Y.....:lookaroun
As for wait time...we always are in the queue long enough to have to see that intro movie at least three times....wish they would make that longer if we will be there that long!

Also wish they would replace the Berkley girls near the beginning...sorry, but they look too much like adult blow-up dolls....:eek: I would love to see them change one or two minor scenes a year, and they can get rid of Alien...especially after removing the scarier motions. Do need to keep a SF genre area.
Me a Classic?...maybe. At least I am still young enough not to remember when they invented TV.

*Master Yoda curls up and waits for ClemsonTigger to stop hitting him with his cane*

:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom