Gmail.com

Al

If anyone wants a gmail accont just email me, i've got some spare invites :D (Just click on my name and press send email or whatever it says, please don't pm me as i'm not sure my email notification is working). :wave:

pisco

DisneyJill said:
crazygirley said:
Originally Posted by crazygirley
*Feels stupid asking, but...* What is gmail?
Tis okay. I was wondering too. :lookaroun

GMail is Google's new free web-based email. It is kind of like Hotmail or Yahoo mail but they offer 1gb of storage and claim to have a better way of organizing and searching your messages than other services.

There have also been some privacy concerns raised. Something about deleted mails not actually being deleted but actually kept on Google's servers forever. I don't know all the details but you might want to do a little research before setting up an account with them.

The other odd thing about the service is that you have to be invited to join. You can't just go to their site and sign up. I can't fiure why they would want to do it that way unless they are hoping to develop wome wierd kind of cachet by being more exclusive.

speck76

pisco said:
The other odd thing about the service is that you have to be invited to join. You can't just go to their site and sign up. I can't fiure why they would want to do it that way unless they are hoping to develop wome wierd kind of cachet by being more exclusive.

It is probably to help control spammers. I have a yahoo mail account, and a lot of the spam I get is from yahoo mail accounts.

Testtrack321

It's in beta and they still need to iron out the bugs, not because they want to controll spam (but that's probably an added benifit...)

NowInc

They are giving out gmail accounts like candy latley...which means its prob near a public release. I got 2 invites this week...gave one to the girlfriend.

Also..yahoo has increased the mail limit to 100 megs ;)

Al

Hi all, thanks to everyone that emailled, i've sent out all the invites - but if anyone else wants one I should be getting some more soon :D

There have also been some privacy concerns raised. Something about deleted mails not actually being deleted but actually kept on Google's servers forever. I don't know all the details but you might want to do a little research before setting up an account with them.

Because you get 1GB storage, the idea is that you archive all your messages and you can search through them whenever you like. So the "archive" button is where a "delete" button would be, but you can still put emails into a trash folder which you can them empty out.

There has been a privacy issue raised about google scanning through your emails and then displaying "relevant" text add's to the side (a little similar to the ones on google search). However I believe that this is all done by computer, and no one actually "reads" through your email or passes it on.

The email system is different from most i've seen before but I like it, it's very quick, but simple yet effective. The main reason I signed up is because my previous email company was brought by another company, who basically ruined it :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom