Giving up disney passes for universal?

JusticeDisney

But I agree with your point about 3D. Enough is enough...... my first quick count is 5 rides in the 2 parks using glasses: Spiderman, Kong, Transformers, Gringots and that Escape from New York staring Snake Pliskin

That is 5 too many which detracts from me "owning my passion" at Universal.
Despicable Me. Simpsons. Shrek.

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

Let me explain that we have weekday select passes and we've had them for years so our passes roll over with the down payment figured in. It is our entertainment to the exclusion of movies and such. It's a great deal for us as it includes 4 parks and parking( which universal would not). We get a lot for our money and spending 2 or 3,000 dollars for 3 or 4 days in addition to Disney would be ridiculous for us. It's one or the other. Fastpasses are getting harder to get and crowds are really getting bad. I just can't decide. Also my kids have many after school activities so there just isn't time for both. My husband works weekends. We would get a little more summer time with universal because of block out dates. My kids friends have universal and are really talking it up.
I'd say give UNI a try for a year. It's really good.

I'll pile on: UNI's environment is louder, more in your face. But the Disney crowds and planning and deadlines make for an even more stressfull experience.

DVC_KLP

Let me explain that we have weekday select passes and we've had them for years so our passes roll over with the down payment figured in.

You shouldn't feel the need to explain how you choose to use your family's entertainment budget. I don't think it's polite or fair for people to judge your choices harshly based on the small amount they know.

Paper straw fan

My only concern was how much an issue the autism was, because there can be some added stimuli on some of the rides at UNI that otherwise seem ok for kids say 7-12, like Transformers, Spider-Man, Kong..and I don’t know how equipped that park is for that.

There’s a lot of simulation rides there. I think they got the hint tho and are moving away from that, starting w the knew HP coaster, which looks awesome.

Also I don’t get the food debate, the food is fine at UNI compared to Disney. I somehow doubt your family only dines at Brown Derby so that probably won’t be in issue.

I am Timmy

I think if the child can handle DW, they will be fine in Universal. Most parents have a handle on their child's personal needs and quirks, with autism you figure it out or every one suffers. My son has certain requirements that are not specific to all autistic people - that's the nature of autism. His is also challenging because that is not his only issue - we've adapted. Does the autistic child have a sound sensitivity, smell, touch, chewing, pacing, etc.? Also depends where they are on the spectrum, but since the family has taken the child to theme parks before, sounds like they have at least some idea how they will do. I doubt the child is a foodie, and their needs will often dictate where the family eats. It's a lot of fun, but I would suggest avoiding Saturday - it always seems to be the busiest day when we go. And if you would like an idea of prices for Harry Potter souvenirs, let me know! We just got back from a con in Seattle where we wore our robes and got pics with Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley) and Jason Isaacs (Lucius Malfoy), so we are getting our money's worth out of all the souvenirs!

Damon777

No need to "adjust my declaration." My memory is that my 3 children, wife, father-in-law and mother-in-law chatted quite a bit about how many of the rides we rode required glasses. My mother-in-law had to stop riding rides because of motion sickness, something that has never happened in her 4 trips to Disney with us.

Sorry you can't live in my head, or my memories.

Sad that you cruise threads only to comment on other people's remarks, instead of helping the OP.

Orangeanna, only you know what your child can tolerate and what they like. If you think it prudent, go for it! Enjoy the new experience.

Magenta Panther

Both resorts have some great dining and some really bad dining. But comparing like for like, Louie's>PizzaRizzo.

And to the OP, Universal is a less stressful vacation. No spreadsheets needed. No planning meals and rides at 5:59am 60+4 days before the vacation. I suggest you give it a go and just see how you like it. It's different than Disney.

And in a GOOD way.

I could kick myself for all the times I ignored Universal, thinking it "second-rate Disney". Boy was I wrong. And I haven't even been there since the Hogwarts Express/London Façade and Gringotts were added. Can't wait to go back and visit!

MAGICFLOP

I had AP's at both for about 4 years, I let the Uni go because my parents were elderly and walking from the garage to parks was a bit aggressive for them.. My kids were 4 and 9 at the time and they liked Uni..

My advice is to go to Uni for a year, they may love it, and even if they don't, you have anticipation to return to WDW.. I bet they will love it..

SirWillow

We had passes for years to the Busch parks (Busch Gardens and Sea World) and to Universal. Passes for both combined cost less than AP's to WDW, and gave us more parks and more experiences than WDW. We did eventually get to WDW just before I started working there, but on a tight budget, which I totally understand, we got much more bang for our buck going to Uni and Busch.

And they are all great parks. One of the blessings of living in the area is you don't have to really worry about a sub par park like Six Flags or Cedar Fair. They're all great in that area, including Legoland. It sounds like you haven't explored those other parks as well, and I would encourage you to find a way to do so. I have a feeling that your family will likely like all of those as much as Disney- especially with lower crowds.

We love Universal, and made sure that I was able to take my daughter there on our trip last month (the vlog is posted if you want to see and get a little idea of what the park is like) There are places where it can be a bit loud, such as some parts of City Walk, or Marvel Island, but there are many relaxing and quiet areas as well. And lot of small, hidden things to find and explore that many miss. Back before Potter, we were still able to fill out full days at each park with a couple of rerides here and there and exploring around. And with Potter there are all sorts of things to find there. You could likely spend most of a day in Hogsmeade or Diagon Alley without even leaving that part of the park.

I also don't get the complaints about food. The food at the Universal parks has always been pretty good. Even the burgers were decent, and especially for a theme park, but there is so much more to eat there, and that's where you'll find the good fixings. Three Broomsticks, Mythos, Leaky Cauldron, Circus Mcgurkus, Bumblebee's tacos... we loved them all. I wish I'd had more time to eat at other places. But if you really don't want to eat in the park, Burger King, Moes, Cinnabon and other places are in City Walk.

The big question as others have said is how your child will react to the park. It's a different atmosphere- not better or worse in my opinion, just different. Its rides do tend to have more a "thrill" factor than most of the Disney rides, and what they are based on is of course different. They do have character meet and greets- I don't think they are quite the same quality as Disney's, but they are fun. And all of the special events certainly make for a lot of fun, with the parades and other things that they do.

If it were me, I'd take the year and explore the other parks. If you don't like it as much, then go back with Disney later on. Or try some of the others. But there is so much to see and do in Orlando, I wouldn't limit yourselves to just one. You'll miss so much that is worth seeing.

And ignore the people posting who've never been there. I never understood people who liked to jump on threads they know nothing about and pretty much brag about their ignorance. ¯\(ツ)

Disneyhead'71

From the picture below you can tell that Universal is all loud stressful environments and crappy fast food.

bice-ristorante.jpg

LittleBuford

It sounds like you haven't explored those other parks as well, and I would encourage you to find a way to do so. I have a feeling that your family will likely like all of those as much as Disney- especially with lower crowds.

This may be true for those who are first and foremost theme-park people, but many of us are first and foremost Disney people. I love WDW because I love Disney; for me and other pixie-dusters, that emotional connection is impossible to find at any other resort.

I also don't get the complaints about food. The food at the Universal parks has always been pretty good.

My partner is vegan and is always pleasantly surprised at how well Disney accommodates him whichever restaurant we go to. Even Casey’s Corner has a plant-based hotdog option, as we discovered during our last trip. His experience at the Leaky Cauldron and Three Broomsticks was severely lacking by comparison. Granted, these are only two of Universal’s restaurants, and the vast majority of people aren’t vegan, but it’s just another example of what makes Disney that bit more special.

LittleBuford

Fun Universal anecdote:

We rode Forbidden Journey, and I was overcautiously holding my glasses in place during most of the ride. When we exited into the gift shop, I went to look at our photo and was told by two team members that I wasn’t allowed to see it because I was making an inappropriate gesture. It seems they thought I was flipping the bird because of the way I was holding my glasses during the ride! They weren’t rude exactly, but neither were they at all diplomatic or circumspect in how they accused me—they simply declared, “You’re making an inappropriate gesture”, and they restated the claim even after I objected, with other guests in earshot. At that point, I was both frustrated and embarrassed and so decided to walk away without pushing the matter. It was the very opposite of the sort of saccharine-sweet customer care one typically gets from Disney’s CMs.

Needless to say, the plural of anecdote isn’t data, so I know my experience may not be representative.

I am Timmy

Fun Universal anecdote:

We rode Forbidden Journey, and I was overcautiously holding my glasses in place during most of the ride. When we exited into the gift shop, I went to look at our photo and was told by two team members that I wasn’t allowed to see it because I was making an inappropriate gesture. It seems they thought I was flipping the bird because of the way I was holding my glasses during the ride! They weren’t rude exactly, but neither were they at all diplomatic or circumspect in how they accused me—they simply declared, “You’re making an inappropriate gesture”, and they restated the claim even after I objected, with other guests in earshot. At that point, I was both frustrated and embarrassed and so decided to walk away without pushing the matter. It was the very opposite of the sort of saccharine-sweet customer care one typically gets from Disney’s CMs.

Needless to say, the plural of anecdote isn’t data, so I know my experience may not be representative.
That is ironic, the same thing happened to me on Expedition Everest! The CM's were borderline rude in front of everyone, and that area gets packed. I tried to explain that my hands were up in terror, not any intended gesture, they ignored me. Very embarrassing, my youngest DS just pulled me away and said, "never mind, we'll try again some other time". Irritating since I paid for Memory Maker, AND I had to ride again for a picture. Typically I can only handle that ride once, coasters terrify me, lol.

LittleBuford

That is ironic, the same thing happened to me on Expedition Everest! The CM's were borderline rude in front of everyone, and that area gets packed. I tried to explain that my hands were up in terror, not any intended gesture, they ignored me. Very embarrassing, my youngest DS just pulled me away and said, "never mind, we'll try again some other time". Irritating since I paid for Memory Maker, AND I had to ride again for a picture. Typically I can only handle that ride once, coasters terrify me, lol.

Which just goes to show that even Disney can fail sometimes! I’m sorry that happened to you.

Figgy1

Premium Member
@LittleBuford I'm GF/vegan and had little problem finding food except at a few locations the Potter areas(cough). A little research goes a long way and most chefs at sit downs were wonderful.

LittleBuford

@LittleBuford I'm GF/vegan and had little problem finding food except at a few locations the Potter areas(cough). A little research goes a long way and most chefs at sit downs were wonderful.

Good to know! We were there for just a day and dined only in the Wizarding World. I will say that at Disney, every quick service we’ve ever tried has been able to accommodate him without any trouble whatsoever. Many of them even have vegan options right there on the menu.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Good to know! We were there for just a day and dined only in the Wizarding World. I will say that at Disney, every quick service we’ve ever tried has been able to accommodate him without any trouble whatsoever. Many of them even have vegan options right there on the menu.
In the parks Lombard's and Mythos were the best and only a couple of dollars more than qs, a few qs places have added options to their menus. Margaritaville and Antojito's have a few things right on the menu I didn't even need to have modified.

Polite

My husband and I have a 8 year old girl and 10 year old boy. My son just reached 54"(big coaster height). We have had Disney passes most of their lives. They don't even remember their first visit. The crowds are starting to bother us a bit and Galaxies edge won't help. They have never been to universal. We are thinking of letting our passes expire and trying universal for a year. We don't have the time or money to do both and we can't afford to to pay for 1 day passes to universal bc we would spread the cost of passes over the year with the same initial payment. I don't seem to have the heart to let Disney go and my kids have mixed feelings too. We want new experiences but our families traditions are built around Disney. We stay on property from time to time and celebrate birthdays there. Has anyone switched? Did you enjoy the break or miss the magic? My son has high functioning autism, is universal a good fit in anyone's experience? I'm running out of time to decide, help! Sorry if you've heard this before but times and parks change.

We made the change about five years ago; however, after that one year with Universal Annual Passes, we went back to Disney Annual Passes. I think your son and daughter will enjoy Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. From speaking with friends, your son shouldn't have any issues with his experience, should you make the change to Universal. For me personally, we enjoy the table service experience at the Disney Parks and Resorts. As others mentioned, we found the food to not be great at Universal. We missed the Disney Magic when we made the change. A few of the biggest issues I had with Universal that weighed on my experience were:
  1. Have to purchase your Fast Passes.
  2. Lines were typically long, whereas at Disney, you can get Fast Passes throughout your day to avoid waiting in long lines.
  3. Having to constantly go to lockers to empty your pockets so you can ride rides (Safety first of course).
We prefer to keep our Disney Annual Passes and get a 3-day Universal pass every two to three years.

mellyf

This may be true for those who are first and foremost theme-park people, but many of us are first and foremost Disney people. I love WDW because I love Disney; for me and other pixie-dusters, that emotional connection is impossible to find at any other resort.

Not necessarily true. We definitely were Disney people. My boys grew up going to WDW, certainly every other year, and at times, yearly. We had that emotional connection and had no interest in going to Universal. In fact, even after the Wizarding World opened, we kept saying...we gotta go (I'm a huge Potter freak), but we just couldn't break the bubble. We'd gone for one day to Universal prior to Wizarding World, at the insistence of my younger son, but just thought it was okay. But my husband and I (and our youngest son, now 33) are now firmly in Universal's camp, after staying at Royal Pacific for a 4-day stay. We've also stayed at Sapphire Falls, which we loved, but we missed having the Express Pass even though it wasn't hugely busy when we went. Disney has gotten too regimented for us. And we always stayed onsite, typically the Epcot resorts because we loved walking over for dinner. We always wanted to be in the Disney bubble. At some point, I really do expect that we'll go back to Disney (for sure I want to go to Disneyland). Even on our Universal-only trips, we made a trip over to Kidani for dinner at Sanaa. ;-) We don't hate Disney at all. We're just not interested in the extreme planning it takes now.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom