Giving up disney passes for universal?

Orangeanna

Original Poster
My husband and I have a 8 year old girl and 10 year old boy. My son just reached 54"(big coaster height). We have had Disney passes most of their lives. They don't even remember their first visit. The crowds are starting to bother us a bit and Galaxies edge won't help. They have never been to universal. We are thinking of letting our passes expire and trying universal for a year. We don't have the time or money to do both and we can't afford to to pay for 1 day passes to universal bc we would spread the cost of passes over the year with the same initial payment. I don't seem to have the heart to let Disney go and my kids have mixed feelings too. We want new experiences but our families traditions are built around Disney. We stay on property from time to time and celebrate birthdays there. Has anyone switched? Did you enjoy the break or miss the magic? My son has high functioning autism, is universal a good fit in anyone's experience? I'm running out of time to decide, help! Sorry if you've heard this before but times and parks change.

Paper straw fan

Right up to your last comment I’d have said “sure, give it a try for a year while the Star Wars demand is at its peak” but, and I have no first hand experience, but WDW seems to be more prepared and accommodating for autistic children. I don’t know if Universal has much of a plan at this point, but I’d say it’s worth looking into at least.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Our last trip we were lucky enough to do both so I have a list of pros and cons that may help.
Stay at a UNI "deluxe" about the same price as Disney moderate and get unlimited entry into all FP lines just walk up and enter
DAS works exactly the same except UNI still uses paper can be used at rides without fp
Food for the most part is cheaper at UNI and you won't need ADRs except for a few places and even then a week before is more than enough except for maybe Mythos

Almost no planning is needed at UNI
Less to do at UNI
You can park hop at UNI by foot
Potter, Potter and more Potter
No princesses
Seuss
UNI doesn't match Disney for night shows or parades
Resort hopping can be done on foot
It's easier to leave the bubble if you want to at UNI
UNI has a more relaxed feel
Taking a break is easier at UNI
UNI is less nostalgic
Lockers are required for quite a few rides, make sure to use the free ones
feel free to ask if you have more questions

Damon7777

UNI has a more relaxed feel

This can't be accurate, just can't.........

The ambiance and mood at Universal is aggressive, noisy and "in your face" compared to Disney.

I challenge anyone to walk around Disney Springs, then walk through CityWalk. At Universal The music and other sounds are aggressive, hip/edgy, high energy complete with video screens. The building facades have more colorfully bumped out props, more neon and flashing lights.
The 2 parks are high energy, aggressive as well. Think Hulk thundering by once one makes his way past Port of Entry or having that noisy Ghostbusters car drive by or some Beatlejuice dude with a megaphone yapping on the walkways.

Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member
This can't be accurate, just can't.........

The ambiance and mood at Universal is aggressive, noisy and "in your face" compared to Disney.

I challenge anyone to walk around Disney Springs, then walk through CityWalk. At Universal The music and other sounds are aggressive, hip/edgy, high energy complete with video screens. The building facades have more colorfully bumped out props, more neon and flashing lights.
The 2 parks are high energy, aggressive as well. Think Hulk thundering by once one makes his way past Port of Entry or having that noisy Ghostbusters car drive by or some Beatlejuice dude with a megaphone yapping on the walkways.
The walk from the parks to Portofino is heavenly quiet, sitting outside at the resorts IMHO are more relaxed than Disney. There's also no worrying about making a fp or ADR. Both parks have nice quiet places if you know where they are. I have an autistic ds so finding them was very useful. Both places have in your face and nice and quiet. We should just agree to disagree

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
My husband and I have a 8 year old girl and 10 year old boy. My son just reached 54"(big coaster height). We have had Disney passes most of their lives. They don't even remember their first visit. The crowds are starting to bother us a bit and Galaxies edge won't help. They have never been to universal. We are thinking of letting our passes expire and trying universal for a year. We don't have the time or money to do both and we can't afford to to pay for 1 day passes to universal bc we would spread the cost of passes over the year with the same initial payment. I don't seem to have the heart to let Disney go and my kids have mixed feelings too. We want new experiences but our families traditions are built around Disney. We stay on property from time to time and celebrate birthdays there. Has anyone switched? Did you enjoy the break or miss the magic? My son has high functioning autism, is universal a good fit in anyone's experience? I'm running out of time to decide, help! Sorry if you've heard this before but times and parks change.
OMG don't do what I did -- lived in Florida for 8 years and didn't go to Universal until my last summer there, loved it, and instantly regretted not going at least 4 years earlier...

wendysue

We really enjoyed UNI and also let our Disney AP's expire in order to go other places. Busch Gardens was great, also. This year we are trying out Seaworld along with UNI. I would go for it. :)

HiJe

I haven't been to Universal in over a decade probably. Do they have just as many scooters as the Disney Parks?

spacemtnfanatic

Did you enjoy the break or miss the magic?

Universal definitely has "magic". It's not like a trip to Six Flags if that is what you are looking for. Honestly, the Universal experience is the best it has ever been in terms of guest service. And I echo what everyone else says, it's truly nice to just show up, ride rides, see shows, and eat at restaurants without having to plan months ahead of time. Universal magic may be different, but it honestly is more genuine, IMO.

jloucks

Universal is far more relaxing than Disney. I’m not constantly pulling out my phone to refresh for better FPS. I’m not being ran over by 100 strollers. I’m not pushing through people stopped on Main Street doing nothing.

I have to pile on to this logic. It is not that Uni design is more relaxing, but the crazy mob scene that is becoming WDW is thankfully missing. This in turn lowers everybodies stress-o-meter and the whole experience is just more pleasant.

The exception of course is the Harry Potter parts of the park, at certain times of the day. But still, overall, way better than WDW. Every time we have gone, the last 90 minutes of the day, even Harry Potter zones were only about 10-50% capacity. ...so save that for last.

imperius

I’m an AP and Disney and it’s just the wife and I. My normal day is setting fast passes before and then constantly checking to change them. Then I’m driving to another park since that fast pass is available. Then another park and so on. I usually hit all four in a normal day because that’s just what’s available. Not sure that’s relaxing in any way.

JIMINYCR

Typically I'd answer with saying... Of course stay with Disney. But I agree the crowds are continuing to rise and will be affecting more and more the experience and availability of enjoyment youll be getting for a while. And where youve said you have been to WDW quite a bit, and never done Uni... it wouldnt hurt to change it up. Just be aware that the Uni feel is very different, the interaction of Uni employees with you will differ, the types of attractions and entertainment will differ. All these differences may take a while to adjust to and even make you regret changing over. Since you cant afford to take a day to try it out, look through the park sites, look at ride videos, and get a better feel of how it fits your family. Some people are Uni fans and some arent. I enjoy some of what Uni offers and do visit, but my real enjoyment comes with what WDW has to offer. BUUUUT the ever increasing crowds and lessening availability to enjoy what I used to enjoy in a day are trying my patience.

Disstevefan1

Okay I guess I'll be "that guy."

If your budget can't accommodate a one-day ticket to try out Universal before committing to an annual pass, you might be better off cutting theme parks from your plan entirely.

A one day ticket to UNI/IOA a great idea!
BTW, for my vote, If you have never been to universal/IOA it's GREAT! You gotta try it.

Side note. The problem is that many, not all, but many Disney fanatics, go to UNI/IOA with a preconceived idea they will not like it, or try to compare it to Disney with an aim to prove Disney is better

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
A one day ticket to UNI/IOA a great idea!
BTW, for my vote, If you have never been to universal/IOA it's GREAT! You gotta try it.

Side note. The problem is that many, not all, but many Disney fanatics, go to UNI/IOA with a preconceived idea they will not like it, or try to compare it to Disney with an aim to prove Disney is better

Both are fun, but only one has a cult ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom