Girlfriend - Scared of Flying - HELP!!

SteveUK

Hi everybody;

Me and the girflriend are going to WDW for two weeks, arriving on 20th Jan. We are flying from the UK (about 8 1/2 hours) The problem is that my girlfriend is worried about flying, particularly turbulence. I have tried the usual reassurance, but I am still getting major earache! Any ideas anybody, what advice or help I can I give?

Heyyall

I feel her pain, I'm so scared of flying.
I can't really help about getting her on the plane, but my dad always talks to the flight attendant when we get on the plane about turbulance. Although she was wrong when she said there would be very little, they are very reassuring. If you do hit some, flight attendants are the best people to talk to. We hit really bad turbulance, and she came over to us and brought us some water and she was very reassuring. They make you feel a lot more safe and comfortable,
Have a great trip!

Upvote 0

tigsmom

I also hate to fly...I'm not afraid ,I get sick. :)hurl: ) I feel for her because I can just make the 2 1/2 hour trip to Orlando from NY. (this has kept me from some really great vacations). There is nothing you can do about turbulance...just keep the seatbelt on at all times. We hit some storms along the way and got shook up pretty badly, but no one was hurt. Our pilot was good about reassuring us and kept us informed. Maybe some light medication (just for the flights) may help her. :wave:

Upvote 0

djmatthews

My mother was frightened of flying. She took her first flight in 95, and has been fine ever since. Ways to help:

1. Alcohol. Have a few drinks (but not to many) before the flight.

2. Speak to the crew. Most crew are very helpful with scared flyers. They may let her board first or last depending on preference. She may also be allowed a flight deck visit, this may help.

3. It may be too late but there are courses in the UK for scared flyers. I beleive BA run one, and they actually take you in a plane at the end of the course.

4. Keep her busy in the air to take her mid of it. In your case maybe do some planning, watch TV, have the meals. Coming from the UK I know how long the flight is.

5. Most importantly (and this is what worked for my mother) show her what she'll miss out on if she doesn't fly.

Can I ask what airline you are flying with?

Upvote 0

SteveUK

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips everybody.

We are flying from Gatwick with Virgin. I know Virgin use 747's, and these are the best aircraft for safety records etc and the bigger the aircraft, the less you feel turbelence, but this still doesn't help. I tried to tell her that turbulence is not dangerous, just uncomfortable, and that nobody really enjoys it, but these things are all easy to say when you don't have a big problem with flying.
The medication idea might be a possibility, does anybody have any suggestions about medication available in the UK?

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Originally posted by SteveUK
Thanks for the tips everybody.

We are flying from Gatwick with Virgin. I know Virgin use 747's, and these are the best aircraft for safety records etc and the bigger the aircraft, the less you feel turbelence, but this still doesn't help. I tried to tell her that turbulence is not dangerous, just uncomfortable, and that nobody really enjoys it, but these things are all easy to say when you don't have a big problem with flying.
The medication idea might be a possibility, does anybody have any suggestions about medication available in the UK?

Here the dr usually prescribes a mild, short-acting tranquilizer.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
IF she has any alchohol, make sure she drinks twice as much water; ie, 4 ounces of wine, 8 ounces of water. Dehydration will make you feel yucky (nice medical term) which will make the flight even more uncomfortable.

Upvote 0

1stStarIC2nite

Hi everybody;

Me and the girflriend are going to WDW for two weeks, arriving on 20th Jan. We are flying from the UK (about 8 1/2 hours) The problem is that my girlfriend is worried about flying, particularly turbulence. I have tried the usual reassurance, but I am still getting major earache! Any ideas anybody, what advice or help I can I give?

Oh my.... I think it's just 8.5 hours from the UK to the US then another 2.5 or so to WDW (I've gone from London to Washington, DC in about 8 hours)...

Number one, do not have her sit by the window... it will only make things worse. Number two, ask to watch the movie, if they are long they will take things off your mind for a little bit. Number three, sleep! It goes by much quicker. Number four, read a book, that really helps, especially if you get into it. And also listen to a CD or something so you wont have to hear the engines. And if you really feel scared or whatever, just talk to the steward people or just go and hang out in the bathroom for ahwile by yourself, lol...... and Im serious on the yourself part :lol: Oh yeah, the turbulence.. just explain that it's no different than running over bumps on the road and that most of the time it's not cause by wind but by other planes going by....(if she didnt already know that)

I myself hate flying.... and the last time I did it (ironically, it was from Heathrow to Dulles) it terrified me and I dont want to do it again for that long. But anywho I wish her and you the best of luck.. an have fun! Hope I was some help to you! :D

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Hi there!! I know we have a great number of UK members including Steve who actually runs the boards!!! reassure her of that and so far we havent lost anyone to turbulence. I would tell you to try Dramamine, but do not mix ANY medication like this with alcohol of any sort. She will be MAJOR league sick from that!!! Dramamine may relax her just enough and will kill off any motion sickness she moight feel during the flight. the only side effects I have ever had were I was sleepy, a bit more hungry and my feet get kinda cold ( I dont get it either but true nonetheless) Best of luck and I hope you have an awesome time!! Belle

Upvote 0

Maria

I am not afraid of flying, but when I flew Paris-Miami, the AirFrance steward kept bringing me bottles of champagne and other stuff - worked like a charm! I passed out for most of the eight hour flight! :lol: :D

A friend of mine´s mom is very afraid of flying and she usually takes a Prozac before boarding! :lol: :animwink:

Upvote 0

Maria

Originally posted by wannabeBelle
Hi there!! I know we have a great number of UK members including Steve who actually runs the boards!!! reassure her of that and so far we havent lost anyone to turbulence. I would tell you to try Dramamine, but do not mix ANY medication like this with alcohol of any sort. She will be MAJOR league sick from that!!! Dramamine may relax her just enough and will kill off any motion sickness she moight feel during the flight. the only side effects I have ever had were I was sleepy, a bit more hungry and my feet get kinda cold ( I dont get it either but true nonetheless) Best of luck and I hope you have an awesome time!! Belle

Dramamine is good - for flying and for being on a ship or different altitudes. Make sure you include it in your travel kits, but yeah, it´s either the medicines OR the alcohol all the time, never together... :animwink:

Upvote 0

djmatthews

At least you're flying with Virgin - they are the best UK airline. :) All their aircraft have seatback TVs, and the vast majority have computer games too. These will keep you occupied. Virgin have very good crew (I know a couple), I'm sure they'll help reassure. I have flown the Atlantic many a time, and never had much turbulence.... but I could have been lucky or flown a good time of the year! Just don't tell her that you can drop a few thousand feet in really bad turbulence.

If the worse comes to the worse with your girlfriend, hit her over the head with a baseball bat, when she comes round.... she'll be in Orlando....... j/k

Upvote 0

WDWhumanmap

i feel for her too i mean who isn't scared of something i mean 9/11 and all these worries about planes can get everyone in a bad feeling of planes. i would have suggested the train or driving but that won't work because your arcoss an ocean and not in the states already. but i know what you are saying and i wish i could give ya some pointers but all i can say is good luck and hav a good time just tell her to look at the bright side once she is off the plane she'll be on soild ground and heading to the happiest place on earth WDW and p.s. she is with you

Upvote 0

RogueHabit

Hi everybody;

My Tip: Leave here behind!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Upvote 0

Pippa

I always fly Virgin to WDW and have never known bad turbulance (lucky I guess) but if shes into herbal remedies theres one called Rescue Remedy from Boots thats quite good. You could also have a look on the Virgin Atlantic website at which films will be playing so she can look forward to watching them instead of the flight itself if you see what I mean. Hope all goes well and have a great trip!

Upvote 0

raven

Hi everybody;

Turbulence is a natural thing. The first few times I flew I didn't even know what it was. I thought that people were up walking around the plane and thats why it was a little bouncy. :D Don't sit her next to a window. If you have to, try to get a seat over the wing so she can't see much.

And if she has any fear of security right now due to the recent terrorist threats, now is probably the safest time to fly. I say that because the security is so tight that no one is going to try anything. I flew to WDW the day after airports were open after 9/11 and I felt I was in the best of hands.

I have a friend who has been flying from NY to LA every week for the past 15 years that is still afraid to fly. It's a natural thing.

Upvote 0

TP2000

Have you thought of taking the Queen Elizabeth or the new Queen Mary 2 from Southhampton to New York instead? Then you could catch a cab from the dock to Grand Central Station and board either the Silver Star or Silver Palm overnight train to Orlando.

You don't have to fly, there are wonderful ships and trains that can get you from London to Orlando. :cool:

Upvote 0

SteveUK

Original Poster
Thanks for all the great advice everyone, its much appreciated! I like the idea of taking the ship option. Anybody know anything about icebergs?

Upvote 0

no2apprentice

Anybody know anything about icebergs?
Yes, they should be avoided.

Sorry, couldn't resist.:D If you could afford it, coming by ship would be a fantastic adventure. Two things you may want to check into: 1- Cost and additional time. 2 - Is sea sickness going to be just as big of an issue as turbulance? I always had the impression the North Atlantic had some heavy storms in the winter.

Whatever you decide, I hope the trip is pleasant for you both.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom