Gieger's counter -> DVC conversion?

enough

Original Poster
what's a DVC? Only thing I can think of is Disney Vacation Club... but that doesn't seem right now does it...

can anyone fill me in?

Koda-bear

I think the fact that a DVC booth in the middle of tomorrowland is whats odd about it...don't get me wrong...I love those booths..and have nothing against the DVC...

enough

Original Poster
right in the middle of tomorrowland? that does seem really, really odd... i can understand having one at the entrance to the park, but that deep in seems like a lame marketing attempt - when I go to MK I want to be taken some place otherworldly - not to an advertisement.

DisneyJill

I don't have anything against the DVC either, however, I think they make shameless attempts at marketing wherever they can. Those booths are all over the place!!! All the parks, DTD, all the resorts...Enough with the booths people. :brick:

nikechic

Sorry, enough

I guess I really didn't understand your post. The recent explosition of DVC carts around the world is pretty annoying.
I remember back in the day when the only way to find out about OKW and DVC was going to OKW. That's how my family did and it makes a lot more sense or at least at the front of the park.
I wonder if there is some way to get rid of those stupid things because they really don't belong.

CTXRover

I have to agree that the DVC booths are getting to be a lot. However, at least they are themed pretty well. For instance, look at the one on Sunset Blvd at MGM, it blends in very nicely. Or the one in AK across from Pizzafari. The car alone at that "booth" looks neat.

They aren't too much of an eyesore and the tiny bit of land they use could only be used for more trees, walkways, benches or another mini-shop with pins and such. For instance, compare the booths to the Orlando Vacation ones around Universal parks and you will see how the DVC booths blend in well to their surroundings. There is plenty of shops at Disney and what better way to get the word out about DVC (which continues to expand phenomenally) than having the info easily accessible to guests.

Woody13

The DVC needs more booths to make their pitch. Savvy guests don't purchase DVC contracts, so the more hooks they have in the water, the better.

Bagheera

Originally posted by Woody13
The DVC needs more booths to make their pitch. Savvy guests don't purchase DVC contracts, so the more hooks they have in the water, the better.

This means I'm not savvy? Sorry, Woody, I take exception to your remarks. We've been members since 1995, and we've already gotten back at least 50-100% more value than our original purchase price.

Hurricane

While they are annoying, DVC assures that members take vacations at disney which is really good for us, because it assures numbers which equal dollars for new attractions. While i'm not a big fan of the desks popping up all over the place i'm very grateful of the effect the DVC has on park attendance.....to the question at hand, OF COURSE IT DOES NOT BELONG IN THE MIDDLE OF TL!!!! But i'd rather see a DVC club desk than something closed....you just kinda feel cheated when you see shops/restuarants/attractions that are closed.

djmatthews

My family will never buy into DVC, living in England, it just isn't feasible.

Anyway, having the DVC booths around the parks is quite a good idea as far as "impulse sales" go. Although buying into property isn't like buying a bar of chocolate, it does raise brand awareness.

Example. My mother isn't a Disney freak like me, but she loves WDW and DLP, and is interested in the TV shows etc, however, she doesn't ride many fast rides. So while me, my dad and sister are on Space Mountain, she will wonder around New Tommorrowland and stumble upon the DVC booth. If a person (your average guest) didn't know that DVC ever existed, then this is one way of them finding out, and they can pick up leaflets and have a chat etc.

I assume this is one of the reasons for having them dotted around the parks, rather than a booth maybe at the park entrance.

BTW what was Gieger's Counter anyways?

Katherine

Where is tommorland is it? I don't really remember Geiger's counter.

I don't mind the DVC booths. I don't really see them when I'm there I've only seen one and recognized it as being a DVC booth. They are all well themed and blend in nicely.

Mr. Tom Morrow

Geiger's Counter Gone

I have to agree with most about the need for DVC booths, but enough already, they’re starting to sprout up everywhere like Dumbo! :animwink: But here’s my beef, Geiger’s Counter was the only place in WDW where you could get free embroidery on your Mickey ears. My wife and I always pick up a set of ears for any new nieces or nephews that we gain between trips. Not the end of the world, but it was a nice little WDW secret. And I’m not suggesting that this is another corporate conspiracy by management to pry another few bucks from my back pocket since most people didn’t know about this little savings secret. Then again, I many be wrong, maybe there is some other location that does the embroidery for free, anyone?

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by leeocean
I understand why they have them. I don't think that they need anymore, however.

I have no clue what YOU'RE talking about...

I think you're the one who was walking through the MK and said...Hey, I think they need another DVC stand right here! (we were in line for the Haunted Mansion and you pointed to where the "horse-drawn hearse" usually is...)

:hammer: (jk by the way) :lol:

leeocean

Originally posted by WDWFREAK53
I have no clue what YOU'RE talking about...

I think you're the one who was walking through the MK and said...Hey, I think they need another DVC stand right here! (we were in line for the Haunted Mansion and you pointed to where the "horse-drawn hearse" usually is...)

:hammer: (jk by the way) :lol:

Oh yeah. I remember that. That and the booth the birds had already constructed in/over the Plaza Pavillion.

nikechic

Anyway, having the DVC booths around the parks is quite a good idea as far as "impulse sales" go. Although buying into property isn't like buying a bar of chocolate, it does raise brand awareness.

I don't think anyone willing invest the intial 15 grand to buy DVC membership would do it on an "impulse sales". But that is just my opinion.
We should all be luck that Disney isn't pushy and trying to make those interested in DVC make a rushed decision. If you have ever been to one of those other timesharer tours, you will understand. They try to force you to make a decision within the time you are on the tour. Disney on the hand, let's you take all the time in the world letting it sell itself. They don't bother you at all, and if you ever have a question just a quick phone and your questions are answered. That is the beauty of Disney.

Oh and whoever said "savvy guest" don't do the vacation club, I think is totally wrong. We have been members since it opened and have had made so many wonderful vacations to Disney and all over the world because of it. It saves us so much money being able to eat in our kitchens. It is way nicer than being jammed in hotel room when you have two bedrooms and a living room and a kitchen. I think the benefits are so great that only people who really have experience that for themselve can understand.

OKW in 23 days

DisneyJill

Tom Morrow-
You can get free embroidery on mouse ears at the Chapeau, on Main Street to the the right of the Confectionary. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom