Gideon's Bakehouse coming to Disney Springs

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
We're supposed to regularly and substantially tip workers behind a counter?
The tipping expectation for food service counters is getting ridiculous. At my local Subway, the tip option starts at 15%. Next options are 18%, 20%, and 22%.

I unapologetically hit “no tip”. $56 for four subs is plenty, thanks. If I pay cash, I’ll tip “the silver”.

Lilofan

Yes, I am not saying that they don't make enough in tips to make over minimum wage. I am saying that it is not standard in this industry to pay people in these positions tipped wages. This is actually the first company that I have heard do this and not just pay at least minimum wage and they get to keep tips. That in itself shows the owner to be unethical. He saves a whole bunch of money by doing this. It is sleazy to not pay even minimum wage regardless of tips.
Speaking of unethical , when earning cash tips and not declaring ALL tips for tax purposes , that's unethical.

Lilofan

The tipping expectation for food service counters is getting ridiculous. At my local Subway, the tip option starts at 15%. Next options are 18%, 20%, and 22%.

I unapologetically hit “no tip”. $56 for four subs is plenty, thanks. If I pay cash, I’ll tip “the silver”.
We are getting a better deal at our all u can eat 100 item Chinese lunch buffet for 4, $12 per person. $56 for subs, no thanks.Eating a light breakfast at home then we get our monies worth at lunch.

Eric Graham

I recall working as a busboy for my first job. My alternative was to pay about $100 for a uniform being a landscaper. I believe just in that summer I shared the tips with the waiters and waitresses and ended up making more than they did at the time. One night I helped the bartender cover the glasses for "bug night". He ended up giving me $100 that night just for doing that. It was the most money that I had ever seen at that time. I had to leave because I was too young to obtain a liquor license at the time. Oh well...

Brian

FWIW, I can't think of any location at WDW, first or third party, that allows the employee to solicit for tips. Changing this policy aligns them with the rest of property, and avoids the guest being put in an uncomfortable position to tip when they hadn't planned to.

pigglewiggle

Most people pay and tip with a card. My understanding is that they are no longer allowed to *ask* for tips, but that the screens still have a tip prompt.

I was thinking that also. I rarely have cash and if I do, it's more than likely bigger bills, not singles that if I were to tip, that's what I would use.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
IMO, the entire F&B industry as it stands today is built around tipping. And without significant changes to the industry, including changes to the costs associated with running this type of operation, I don't see any change occurring.

Personally, unless you are coming to serve me F&B, I have stopped tipping completely. Don't flip that tablet around with a tip request that starts at 20%...I no longer feel guilty.

If you come serve me at a table, you will get a tip. I was always fine with that.

Brian

gideons.png

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
IMO, the entire F&B industry as it stands today is built around tipping. And without significant changes to the industry, including changes to the costs associated with running this type of operation, I don't see any change occurring.

Personally, unless you are coming to serve me F&B, I have stopped tipping completely. Don't flip that tablet around with a tip request that starts at 20%...I no longer feel guilty.

If you come serve me at a table, you will get a tip. I was always fine with that.
Everyone agrees with that. Except business owners who build use tipping for counter service as an excuse to pay employees less than they need to afford to live in the area the business is in. So, if you want changes to tipping culture supporting employee movements like this are what you should be supporting. Tipping in general as an obligation just basically stems from employers not paying their employees enough and passing that burden onto customers.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Yea right those tips are ALL declared🤔
Yes, because nearly all (I actually believe all as there is no cash jar anymore unless I'm mistaken) are through card payments. And cash tips are meant to be pooled and added to the paychecks at most places so unless cast are taking cash out of the tip jar to stuff in their pockets when no one is looking cash tips are all declared too generally

The paycheck someone posted showed the tips being more than 50% of the paycheck. That’s way more than enough to show that the full minimum wage is being met.
If they make about 9 an hour and then make about 9 an hour in tips then they are currently making the minimum for a cast member (which was determined as the minimum a full time employee would need to be able to live near the parks) and less than the minimum cast member wage at the end of this year. Thats assuming stable tips and assuming they're getting full time hours. All for a job that they say isn't worth barely making cast member minimum sometimes. Florida minimum is one thing, but Orlando is expensive and Gideons/Disney have well above "minimum" expectations for their cast.

And again, that wage entirely depends on guests tipping a counter service position. Something many people (especially visitors from other countries) are either unlikely to do or will find unpleasant to do.

If Gideons just paid cast member minimum of $18 an hour, then tips wouldn't be an obligation used to subsidize sub-living wages

Lilofan

Yes, because nearly all (I actually believe all as there is no cash jar anymore unless I'm mistaken) are through card payments. And cash tips are meant to be pooled and added to the paychecks at most places so unless cast are taking cash out of the tip jar to stuff in their pockets when no one is looking cash tips are all declared too generally

If they make about 9 an hour and then make about 9 an hour in tips then they are currently making the minimum for a cast member (which was determined as the minimum a full time employee would need to be able to live near the parks) and less than the minimum cast member wage at the end of this year. Thats assuming stable tips and assuming they're getting full time hours. All for a job that they say isn't worth barely making cast member minimum sometimes. Florida minimum is one thing, but Orlando is expensive and Gideons/Disney have well above "minimum" expectations for their cast.

And again, that wage entirely depends on guests tipping a counter service position. Something many people (especially visitors from other countries) are either unlikely to do or will find unpleasant to do.

If Gideons just paid cast member minimum of $18 an hour, then tips wouldn't be an obligation used to subsidize sub-living wages
If I was an owner and if I raised their wage to $18 / I'd be passing increased labor costs to those already expensive cookies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom