Gideon's Bakehouse coming to Disney Springs

FutureCEO

Instead of all this hyperbole, hand wringing and pettiness, why not just submit the legitimate complaints such as food safety, rate of pay, harassment (on the basis of membership in a 'protected class') and fire code compliance to the relevant authorities? If things are truly as bad as they claim they are, I'm certain they will spring into action.

That they haven't done that already and are instead mounting this smear campaign reeks.

The mob rules online.

lazyboy97o

Instead of all this hyperbole, hand wringing and pettiness, why not just submit the legitimate complaints such as food safety, rate of pay, harassment (on the basis of membership in a 'protected class') and fire code compliance to the relevant authorities? If things are truly as bad as they claim they are, I'm certain they will spring into action.

That they haven't done that already and are instead mounting this smear campaign reeks.
The letter says they have filed complaints.

The posted paystub shows a compliant tipped minimum wage, so the state isn’t going to care about that.

You are allowed to have a kitchen with only one exit. It is possible that the architect and district messed up, but if they didn’t then the district won’t care. Also possible that there have been post-opening changes that are not compliant.

Federal, state and district accessibility requirements are less for employee only areas than public areas. Again, it’s possible the architect and the district messed up or there have been non-compliant post-opening changes. Side note, wowsers on the term “ADA employee” to refer to someone using a mobility device.

It may not be a career but a job is a job and for a place that makes so much money, they should pay their employees at least minimum wage or more if they are truly getting paid $9 an hour
They are being paid the minimum wage for tipped positions. That the tips were blacked out on the provided document is suspicious.

UNCgolf

Why can't it be? And even if it isn't, those people need to pay for a roof over their head, and Orlando prices are insane for the low earnings here.

Their salary is less than $18k/yr. After taxes, that's not enough to pay rent anywhere in Orlando

That's why the tips matter. I'd personally prefer if people were paid a wage that didn't rely on tips and tips were just a potential additional bonus rather than an expectation (I think this is better for both the employees and the consumers, except maybe in the case of high end restaurants and bartenders), but that's not where we are right now. Blacking out the tips makes it hard to know if their claims are accurate.

Regardless, their messaging has been poor. They're not making themselves overly sympathetic because of the writing style and some silly complaints -- they'd be better off focusing on the serious issues, and it would help if they didn't sound like someone ranting on an Internet forum.

MagicRat

This is now just ridiculous. A police state? Please.

Again, makes it very hard to take their claims seriously. Hopefully someone with experience in these matters can take the computer/phone/ipad/whatever away from this person and handle in the way claims this serious should be handled.
The authors of the complaint, write like most of the people on this board. Having said that, I hope if they are correct in what’s going on the management and owner get what they deserve.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
View attachment 785509
The owner said they pay double this, it would be a very dumb move if his statement wasn’t true. This place always seems to have a huge line out the door, they deserve more than minimum wage.

Someone please take a stab to explain how this refutes anything about what the owner said about "take home pay." this shows the hourly wage but blocks out tips received. Saying that tips accounted for $200 more than hourly wage means nothing, both because one is gross and one is hourly and because we don't know how many hours for over $200 hours tips nor how much over $200 we're talking. $200 on one 8 hour shift is very different then $200 over 60 hours. If wanting to garner sympathy then share tips to show actual take home pay.

Some other complaints are at least reasonable. Bad managers are fair to call out and should be replaced . Working in hot areas without fans is terrible. But then not fully sharing pay stuff undercuts credibility. Not explaining why not doing a hired job to clean pans undercuts credibility. Wanting to put all blame on guests for inaccurate orders both undercuts credibility and is just lazy. Not wanting to shake drinks comes across as lazy. They have legit concerns but should have leaned in to their "vast network" for some PR advice.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
That's why the tips matter. I'd personally prefer if people were paid a wage that didn't rely on tips and tips were just a potential additional bonus rather than an expectation (I think this is better for both the employees and the consumers, except maybe in the case of high end restaurants and bartenders), but that's not where we are right now. Blacking out the tips makes it hard to know if their claims are accurate.

Tipping culture is really terrible for most except, as you pointed out, high end restaurants and bars. But considering Gideons volume and realistic revenue they fall more on the high end restaurant side. Gideons, with multiple registers and a constant line all day would seem to have a big top line number than some percentage of people are tipping from. Other places, like DS quick service, have lines that come and go and/or aren't running at least three tills at once all day. Until shown otherwise I think the general perception is that Gideons $8.95 + tips is a better shift than $18 + tips at lower volume Auntie Anne's.

It's probably a bitter employee who got fired for being lazy. Making a lot of rage bait claims without evidence with the intention of stirring up controversy makes me not believe any of their poorly written grievances.

wdwfan22

keep in mind this is the same bakehouse that forced employees to work several weeks without air conditioning and refused to close when temperatures were above 90 degrees. I don't doubt for a moment that some of the employee's claims are true. I also think it was written the way it was so they can't trace it back to anyone specific.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
So an employee has responded. This is to a story.

NSFW language in there:

With an actual paycheck.
Screenshot_20240514_212455_Photos.jpg

$1322 in a paycheck isn't bad.

Some other stuff:

Apparently no one has been fired over sexuality. One person fired over points.

Poster felt supported by management with own autism.

Ghost writer named the wrong person who said the racial slur.

Poster has no knowledge about anyone else consulted, asked about going public, etc. And poster argued that ghost writer went about process improperly.

Poster acknowledges some things should be changed and that unionization is supported, but reiterated that it should have been handled internally first because riling up online mobs before attempting negotiating through other means can do damage unnecessarily.

Brian

So an employee has responded. This is to a story.

NSFW language in there:

With an actual paycheck.
View attachment 785592

$1322 in a paycheck isn't bad.

Some other stuff:

Apparently no one has been fired over sexuality. One person fired over points.

Poster felt supported by management with own autism.

Ghost writer named the wrong person who said the racial slur.

Poster has no knowledge about anyone else consulted, asked about going public, etc. And poster argued that ghost writer went about process improperly.

Poster acknowledges some things should be changed and that unionization is supported, but reiterated that it should have been handled internally first because riling up online mobs before attempting negotiating through other means can do damage unnecessarily.
The group has responded to this former employee:

436445739_962435379216518_6622664637520473852_n.jpg

JAB

For those who haven't done so, I would suggest reading the full letter.

Here are just a few "highlights."

"There is an odor most foul in the Bakehouse. It is the stench of the fish rotting from the head."

"Now, we, the collective, have banded together to deliver this tome- not as a warning of what is to come, but as a final demand to resolve the issues outlined herein. Make no mistake, if the following solutions are not implemented with immediate effect, we will do everything in our power to topple this cookie castle permanently."

"How dare you drag the entire workforce to a 9AM meeting, demanding our presence, and then talk directly at us with the most mundane drivel we’ve ever heard. Do not call us in for a mandatory meeting again when the points can be covered in an email..."

"Through our vast, and well connected network [of social media, gov. health agencies, Disney Springs management]... steps have already been implemented... these competent bodies are awaiting our word."

"like we’re trapped on an 1800’s plantation- working for the big house."

When a letter like this is written with the overwrought, melodramatic pretentiousness of a petulant teenager, where everything is a threatening, non-negotiable "demand" that must be implemented "immediately"... or else, and it includes things like comparing their situation to slaves working in the "big house" on a plantation, it makes it very hard to take them seriously. They even have a paragraph that essentially reads, "our parents are very important people." Many of their demands are also unrealistic or unreasonable.

Like someone posted above, it's so poorly and unprofessionally written that it almost reads like a parody.

bwr827

The bigger issue: waiting in a really long line for disappointing cookies. Gideon’s cookies look amazing but I wouldn’t even rank them in my top 100 cookies (if I were to make such a silly list).

The peanut butter cold brew was tasty, though. And unique. Just not worth waiting an hour to get it.

Lilofan

I thought the coffee cake one was good, but I've never been back. That line is wild.
Like in other places ( ie state fairs , taco trucks etc ) look for the longest line and get in line. The assumption is the food must be good ). The long line I stood in at a taco truck in Houston was well worth it among the other taco trucks in the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom